Chief EditorHarjinder Singh
Print ISSN 0971-4456
Online ISSN 0976-0563
NAAS Rating 5.75
Functional and Physicochemical Characteristics of Raw, Roasted and Germinated Buckwheat Flour
First Online 30-08-2019|
- Abulude, F. O., Lawal, L. O. and Kayode, A. O. (2005). Effect of processing on some functional properties of millet (Eleusine coracana) flour. Journal of Food Technology. 3(30): 460-463.
- Adedeji, O. E., Oyinloye, O. D. and Ocheme, O. B. (2014). Effects of germination time on the functional properties of maize flour and the degree of gelatinization of its cookies. African Journal of Food Science. 8(1): 42-47.
- Alvarez-Jubete, L., Arendt, E. K. and Gallagher, E. (2009). Nutritive value and chemical composition of pseudocereals as gluten-free ingredients. International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition. 60(sup4): 240-257.
- Anderson, R. and Cronshaw, J. (1970). Sieve-plate pores in tobacco and bean. Planta. 91(3): 173-180.
- AOAC (2005) Official methods of analysis, 18th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington
- Békés, F., Schoenlechner, R. and Tömösközi, S. (2017). Ancient Wheats and Pseudocereals for Possible use in Cereal-Grain Dietary Intolerances. In Cereal Grains (pp. 353-389). Woodhead Publishing.
- Bondet, V., Brand-Williams, W. and Berset, C. L. W. T. (1997). Kinetics and mechanisms of antioxidant activity using the DPPH. free radical method. LWT-Food Science and Technology. 30(6): 609-615.
- Chandrasekhar, P. R. and Chattopadhyay, P. K. (1990). Studies on microstructural changes of parboiled and puffed rice. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation. 14(1): 27-37.
- Chaudhary, N. and Vyas, S. (2014). Effect of germination on proximate composition and anti nutritional factor of millet (ragi) based premixes. International Journal of Food and Nutritional Sciences. 3(4): 72-77.
- Chavan, J. K., Kadam, S. S. and Beuchat, L. R. (1989). Nutritional improvement of cereals by fermentation. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. 28(5): 349-400.
- Eke, O. S. and Akobundu, E. N. T. (1993). Functional properties of African yam bean (Sphenostylis stenocarpa) seed flour as affected by processing. Food chemistry. 48(4): 337-340.
- Fabjan, N., Rode, J., Košir, I. J., Wang, Z., Zhang, Z. and Kreft, I. (2003). Tartary buckwheat (Fagopyrum tataricum Gaertn.) as a source of dietary rutin and quercitrin. Journal of agricultural and food chemistry. 51(22): 6452-6455.
- Fresco, P., Borges, F., Diniz, C. and Marques, M. P. M. (2006). New insights on the anticancer properties of dietary polyphenols. Medicinal research reviews. 26(6): 747-766.
- Gunashree, B. S., Kumar, R. S., Roobini, R. and Venkateswaran, G. (2014). Nutrients and antinutrients of ragi and wheat as influenced by traditional processes. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences. 3(7): 720-736.
- Hussain, S., Anjum, F. M., Butt, M. S. and Sheikh, M. A. (2008). Chemical composition and functional properties of flaxseed (Linum usitatissimum) flour. Sarhad J Agric. 24(4): 649-653.
- Khatoon, N. and Prakash, J. (2006). Nutrient retention in microwave cooked germinated legumes. Food Chemistry. 97(1): 115-121.
- Kim, S. L., Kim, S. K. and Park, C. H. (2004). Introduction and nutritional evaluation of buckwheat sprouts as a new vegetable. Food Research International. 37(4): 319-327.
- Léder, I., Adányi, N., Daood, H. G., Sass-Kiss, Á. and Kardos-Neumann, Á. (2010). Study of the composition and radical scavenging capacity of buckwheat seed and buckwheat leaf flour of two cultivars grown in Hungary. Buckwheat. 2: 87-92.
- Maillard, M. N. and Berset, C. (1995). Evolution of antioxidant activity during kilning: role of insoluble bound phenolic acids of barley and malt. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 43(7): 1789-1793.
- MO, O. and Akinsola, O. O. (2015). Thermal and physicochemical properties of some starchy foods: yam (Dioscorea rotundata), cocoyam (Xanthosoma sagittifolium) and plantain (Musa paradisiaca). Food Science and Technology. 3(1): 9-17.
- Nazni, P. and Shalini, S. (2010). Physical and nutritional evaluation of idli prepared from sorghum (Sorghum bicolor L. Moench). Asian journal of science and technology. 2: 44-48.
- Ocheme, O. B. and Chinma, C. E. (2008). Effects of soaking and germination on some physicochemical properties of millet flour for porridge production. Journal of Food Technology. 6(5): 185-188.
- Ohtsubo, K. I., Suzuki, K., Yasui, Y. and Kasumi, T. (2005). Bio-functional components in the processed pre-germinated brown rice by a twin-screw extruder. Journal of food composition and analysis. 18(4): 303-316.
- Ren, S. C. and Sun, J. T. (2014). Changes in phenolic content, phenylalanine ammonia-lyase (PAL) activity and antioxidant capacity of two buckwheat sprouts in relation to germination. Journal of Functional Foods. 7: 298-304.
- Sadasivam, S. and Manickam, A. (1992). Biochemical methods for agricultural sciences. Wiley eastern limited.
- Sharma, P., Gujral, H. S. and Singh, B. (2012). Antioxidant activity of barley as affected by extrusion cooking. Food Chemistry. 131(4): 1406-1413.
- Siddhuraju, P. and Becker, K. (2001). Effect of various domestic processing methods on antinutrients and in vitro protein and starch digestibility of two indigenous varieties of Indian tribal pulse, Mucuna pruriens var. utilis. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 49(6): 3058-3067.
- Sosulski, F. W. (1962). The centrifuge method for determining flour absorption in hard red spring wheats. Cereal Chem. 39: 344-350.
- Subba Rao, M. V. S. S. T. and Muralikrishna, G. (2002). Evaluation of the antioxidant properties of free and bound phenolic acids from native and malted finger millet (Ragi, Eleusine coracana Indaf-15). Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 50(4): 889-892.
- Urbano, G., López-Jurado, M., £awomir Frejnagel, S., Gómez-Villalva, E., Porres, J. M., Frías, J. and Aranda, P. (2005). Nutritional assessment of raw and germinated pea (Pisum sativum L.) protein and carbohydrate by in vitro and in vivo techniques. Nutrition. 21(2): 230-239.
- Vidal-Valverde, C., Frias, J., Sierra, I., Blazquez, I., Lambein, F. and Kuo, Y. H. (2002). New functional legume foods by germination: effect on the nutritive value of beans, lentils and peas. European Food Research and Technology. 215(6): 472-477.
- Vita, J. A. (2005). Polyphenols and cardiovascular disease: effects on endothelial and platelet function. The American journal of clinical nutrition. 81(1): 292S-297S.
- Wang, J. C. and Kinsella, J. E. (1976). Functional properties of alfalfa leaf protein: foaming. Journal of Food Science. 41(3): 498-501.
- Wangui, J. (2015). Impact of different processing techniques on nutrients and antinutrients content of grain amaranth (Amaranthus albus) (Doctoral dissertation).
- Watanabe, M. (1998). Catechins as antioxidants from buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentum Moench) groats. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 46(3): 839-845.
- Wijngaard, H. and Arendt, E. K. (2006). Buckwheat. Cereal Chemistry. 83(4): 391-401.
- Williams, P. C., Nakoul, H. and Singh, K. B. (1983). Relationship between cooking time and some physical characteristics in chickpeas (Cicer arietinum L.). Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 34(5): 492-496.
- Zhou, X., Hao, T., Zhou, Y., Tang, W., Xiao, Y., Meng, X. and Fang, X. (2015). Relationships between antioxidant compounds and antioxidant activities of tartary buckwheat during germination. Journal of food science and technology. 52(4): 2458-2463.
The Asian Journal of Dairy and Food Research (AJDFR) follows a disclaimer policy that outlines the responsibilities of the journal, authors, reviewers, and readers. The policy is designed to ensure that all published content is accurate and meets ethical standards, and to protect the journal from any legal liability.
The AJDFR does not guarantee the accuracy, completeness, or reliability of the content published in the journal. The opinions expressed in published articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the journal or its editorial board. The journal does not accept any responsibility for any errors or omissions in the content published in the journal.
Authors are responsible for ensuring that their work is original, accurate, and meets ethical standards. They are also responsible for obtaining permission to use copyrighted material and for providing appropriate attribution.
Reviewers are responsible for ensuring that the content of articles is accurate, original, and meets ethical standards. They are also responsible for maintaining confidentiality and disclosing any conflicts of interest.
Readers are responsible for evaluating the content of articles and for making their own judgments about the accuracy and reliability of the information presented. They are also responsible for complying with copyright laws and ethical standards when using the content of articles.
AJDFR is committed to ensuring that all published content meets ethical standards and that all parties involved in the publishing process understand their responsibilities. The disclaimer policy is designed to protect the journal from any legal liability and to ensure that readers can rely on the accuracy and reliability of the content published in the journal.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.