STORAGE STUDIES OF BOTTLE GOURD AND PUMPKIN KHEER
Citation :- STORAGE STUDIES OF BOTTLE GOURD AND PUMPKIN KHEER.Asian Journal Of Dairy and Food Research.2012.(31):99 - 103
The microbial qualities of kheer with or without preservatives in different packaging were studied. The observations recorded expressed that, refrigerated storage without preservative (R1) and ambient storage with and without preservative (A1, A2) did not establish any significant difference between the shelf life amongst various treatments, for any type of packaging. It was concluded that vegetable kheer T1 in refrigerated storage with preservative in glass bottle packaging is most suitable as a nutritional supplement with longer shelf life (20 days) to replace common rice kheer (4 days). The market acceptance was decided by considering the 858 consumers. Results recorded revealed that use of bottle gourd or pumpkin in the form of cubes and shreds for preparation of kheer influence the consumer acceptance. Irrespective of sex and age 451 (53 %) consumers had given their preference for treatment T1, while 508 (59 %) consumers had given their preference for treatment T3.
- Anonymous.(1995), Microbiological reference criteria for food, Food administration manual, S.11: microbiological criteria.
- A guide to calculating the shelf life of foods. (2005), New Zealand Food Safety Authority, Willington, New Zealand.
- Chaudhary A. (1989). M.Sc. Thesis , National Dairy Research Karnal. India.
- De, S. , Thompkinson D. K. , Gahlot D. P. and Mathur O. N.(1976), Indian J. Dairy Sci. 29: 316
- Guide lines for the interpretation of results of microbiological analysis of some ready to eat food sampled at point of sale (2001). Guidance note NO. 3 ; Food Safety Authority of Ireland, Dublin.
- Harrigan, W.F. and Margaret E. Mc Cance, (1993), Laboratory methods in food & dairy microbiology Academic press INC, San Diego, London.
- Jha , A. (2000) New Concepts in Dairy Technology, Compendium , CAS, NDRI, Karnal, India.
- Snedecor, G.W. and Cochran, W.G. (1994). Statistical Methods 8th Ed. The Iowa State University Press, Ames, Iowa.