PROCESS UPGRADATION OF BOTTLE GOURD AND PUMPKIN KHEER
Citation :- PROCESS UPGRADATION OF BOTTLE GOURD AND PUMPKIN KHEER.Asian Journal of Dairy and Food Research.2012.(31):28 - 33
In all 180 combinations each for bottle gourd and pumpkin were formulated using various levels of vegetables, sugars and methods of preparation. About 37 to 40 per cent households and small sweet makers prepared vegetables based kheer in urban and semi-urban areas. Five combinations were studied for process upgradation, chemical composition and sensory evaluation. Typically bottle gourd kheer had greenish shade while pumpkin kheer had yellowish shade. The shreds and cubes of both vegetables become soft during cooking which imparts characteristic chewy texture to the vegetable based kheer. All vegetable kheer samples tested low level of fat and high level of carbohydrate content than control. The total solid and carbohydrate content was higher in kheer prepared from bottle gourd while protein content was higher in control and kheer prepared from pumpkin.
- Aneja, R.P., Mathur, B.N., Chandan R.C., Banerjee, A.K. (2002). Technology of Indian Milk Products, Dairy India Yearbook, Delhi, India.
- BIS (1981). Handbook of Food Analysis, XI; Dairy products, SP :18. Bureau of Indian standards , New Delhi.
- Changade, S.P., Khojare, A.S., Kadu A.B., Wasnik P.G., and Patil, M.R., (2003) “Traditional milk products in Maharasthra Retrospect & Prospects”. Abstr. National Seminar on Quality Upgradation of Dairy Products, Bidar, UAS, Dharwad, January, 03:A07.
- Chaudhary, A. , (1989).Standardization of the method for production and preservation of Kheer, M.Sc. Diss., National Dairy Research Karnal. India.
- De, Sukumar (2001).Outlines of Dairy Technology, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, India.
- Gupta, S.K., (1976). Sensory Evaluation in food industry, Indian Dairyman, 28:293-295.
- Ranganna, S.(2004). Handbook of Analysis And Quality Control For Fruit And Vegetable Products. Tata McGraw- Hill Co. Limited, New Delhi, India.
- Singh, B. and Shurpalekar, S. R. (1989) Studies on ready-mix for kheer. J. Food Sci. Technol. 26(I):12-15.
- Snedecor, G.W. and Cochran, W.G. (1994). Statistical Methods 8th Ed. The Iowa State University Press, Ames, Iowa.
- Unnikrishnan, V., Bhavadasan, M.K., Nath,B.S, Balasubramnya, N.K. (2000). Payasam – A Sweet delicacy, Indian Dairyman, 52(10):37-43.
- Vijaya Rao, D., Radhakrishna, K .A., and Jayathilakan, K (1994) Manufacture of freeze dried breakfast and dessert foods. Food Sci. Technol. 31(I):40-43.