Comparison of exopolysaccharide production by indigenous Leuconostoc mesenteroides strains in whey medium
Citation :- Comparison of exopolysaccharide production by indigenous Leuconostoc mesenteroides strains in whey medium .Asian Journal of Dairy and Food Research.2015.(34):8-12
Two Leuconostoc mesenteroides strains NCDC 744 and NCDC 745 were evaluated for exopolysaccharides (EPS) production in whey and MRS medium. Paneer whey medium supplemented with 10% sucrose, 0.1 % yeast extract and 0.1 % K2HPO4 was found to be proferred medium for EPS production. Among two strains L. mesenteroides NCDC 744 produced significantly higher EPS (12.7 ± 0.24 gm/L) as compared to NCDC 745 (10.51 ± 0.18 gm/L). The EPS powder obtained from NCDC 744 after oven drying was white, crystalline, water soluble and contained 89.56 ± 0.37 % of total carbohydrate and 3.49 ± 0.14 % protein. Scanning Electron Micrograph (SEM) study revealed that the EPS from NCDC 744 was porous, compact and crystalline in appearance.
- Abiodun I, Sanni A A, Onilude S T, Ogunbanwo I F and Fadahunsi R O A (2002). Production of exopolysaccharides by lactic acid bacteria isolated from traditional fermented foods in Nigeria. European Food Research and Technology, 214: 405–407.
- Behare P V, Singh R, Kumar M, Prajapati J B and Singh R P (2009). Exopolysaccharides of lactic acid bacteria: a review. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 46(1): 1-11.
- Behare P V, Singh R, Nagpal R and Rao K H (2013). Exopolysaccharides producing Lactobacillus fermentum strain for enhancing rheological and sensory attributes of low-fat dahi. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 50(6): 1228-1232.
- Dubois M, Gilles K A, Hamilton J K, Rebers P A, Smith F (1956). Colorimetric method for determination of sugars and related substances. Analytical Chemistry, 28: 350-356.
- Garvie E I (1984). Separation of species of the genus Leuconostoc and differentiation of the leuconostots from other lactic acid bacteria. Methods in Microbiology. (Eds) Bergan T. Volume 16, Academic Press, London, Pp. 147-178.
- Goyal N and Gandhi D N (2009). Comparative analysis of Indian paneer and cheese whey for electrolyte whey drink. World Journal of Dairy and Food Sciences, 4: 70-72.
- Han J, Hang F, Guo B, Liu Z, You C and Wu Z (2014). Dextran synthesized by Leuconostoc mesenteroides BD1710 in tomato juice supplemented with sucrose. Carbohydrate Polymers, 112: 556-562.
- Kimmel S A and Roberts R F (1998). Development of a growth medium suitable for exopolysaccharide production by Lactobacillus delbrueckii ssp. bulgaricus RR. International Journal of Food Microbiology, 40(1): 87-92.
- Korakli M, Pavlovic M, Gänzle M G and Vogel R F (2003). Exopolysaccharide and kestose production by Lactobacillus sanfranciscensis LTH2590. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 69(4): 2073-2079.
- Lowry O H, Rosebrough N J, Farr A L and Randall R J (1951). Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 193: 265–275.
- Majumder A, Bhandari S, Purama R K, Patel S and Goyal A (2009). Enhanced production of a novel dextran from Leuconostoc mesenteroides NRRL B-640 by Response Surface Methodology. Annals of Microbiology, 59: 309-315.
- Monsan P, Bozonnet S, Albenne C, Joucla G, Willemot R M and Remaud-Simeon M (2001). Homopolysaccharides from lactic acid bacteria. International Dairy Journal, 11: 675-685.
- Moosavi-nasab M, Gavahian M, Yousefi A R and Askari H (2010). Fermentative Production of Dextran using Food Industry Wastes. World Academy of Science Engineering and Technology, 44: 1231–1233.
- Sarwat F, Ul Qader S A, Aman A and Ahmed N (2008). Production and characterization of a unique dextran from an indigenous Leuconostoc mesenteroides CMG713. International Journal of Biological Sciences, 4: 379–86.
- Siddiqui N N, Aman A, Silipo A, Qader SAU and Molinaro A (2014). Structural analysis and characterization of dextran produced by wild and mutant strains of Leuconostoc mesenteroides. Carbohydrate Polymer, 99: 331–8.
- Sutherland I W. 1972. Bacterial exopolysaccharides. Advances in Microbial Physiology, 8: 143-213.
- Torres-Rodriguez I, Rodriguez-Alegria ME, Miranda-Molina A, Giles-Gomez M, Morales RC, Lopez-Munguia A, ... and Escalante A (2014). Screening and characterization of extracellular polysaccharides produced by Leuconostoc kimchii isolated from traditional fermented pulque beverage. SpringerPlus, 3(1): 583.
- Tsuchiya H M, Koepsell H J, Corman J, Bryant G, Bogard M O, Feger V H and Jackson R W (1952). The effect of certain cultural factors on production of dextransucrase by Leuconostoc mesenteroides. Journal of Bacteriology, 64: 521.