Chief EditorHarjinder Singh
Print ISSN 0971-4456
Online ISSN 0976-0563
NAAS Rating 5.75
Study on effect of custard apple leaf extract on physico-chemical properties of aonla juice
First Online 26-03-2016|
The leaf extract was prepared by shade drying of leaves for 4-5 days, the dried leaves were pulverized and boiled in water bath with distilled water to get the liquid extract. Further the liquid extract was centrifuged and then supernatant was spray dried to get powdered extract. Sweetened aonla juice formulation was made with different proportion of custard apple leaf extract varying from 0 to 15 g in increasing order from control (0) to A1 (5g), A2 (10g) and A3 (15g) respectively. The prepared juices were analyzed for physico-chemical composition and sensory evaluation. The retention of quercetin [(a flavonol, is a flavonoid, in other words, a plant pigment with a molecular structure like flavone. It is found in fruits, vegetables, leaves and grains. It can be used as an ingredient in supplements, beverages, or foods having nutraceutical value. )] in aonla juice sample A1, A2, A3 was 15.20, 32.80 and 49.75 mg per 1000 ml. Sample A2 (10g custard apple leaf extract) scored highest score for overall acceptability was 8.8.
- Atal C.K., Zutshi U. and Rao P.G., (1981). Scientific evidence on the role of ayurvedic herbals on bioavailability of drugs. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 4: 229-232.
- Atique A., Iqbal M., Ghouse A. K.M., (1985). Use of Annona squamosal and Piper nigrumagainst diabetes. Fitoterapia 56:190–192.
- Bardy G, Virsolvy A, Quignard JF, Ravier MA, Bertrand G, Dalle S, Cros G, Magous R, Richard S, Oiry C (2013). Quercetin induces insulin secretion by direct activation of L-type calcium channels in pancreatic beta cells”. Br. J. Pharmacol. 169:1102-13.
- El-Tantawy WH and Hassanin LA (2007). Hypoglycemic and hyperlipidemic effect of Tribulusalatus in steptozotocin- induced diabetic rats: A comparative study with T. terrestris (Caltrop). Indian Journal of Experimental Biology 45: 785-790.
- Gupta Rajesh Kumar, KesariAchyut Narayan, Murthy P.S., Chandra R.,Tandon V., WatalGeeta, (2005). Hypoglycemic and antidiabetic effect of ethanolic extract of leaves of Annona squamosa L. in experimental animals. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 99: 75–81.
- Kaleem M., Asif M., Ahmed Q.U. and Bano B. (2006). Antidiabetic and antioxidant activity of Annona Squamosa extract in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Singapore Med. J. 47:670-
- Kaleem M, Medha P, Ahmed QU, Asif M and Bano B (2008). Beneficial effects of Annona squamosa extract in streptozotocin- induced diabetic rats. Singapore Medical Journal, 49: 800-804.
- Knecht KT, Bradford BU, Mason RP, Thurman RG (1990). In vivo formation of a free radicals metabolite of ethanol. Mol. Pharmacol. 38:26–30.
- Li M, Qu W, Wang Y and Tian C (2002). Hypoglycemic effect of saponins from Tribulusterrestris. Zhong Yao Cai, 25: 420-422.
- Lombard Kevin A., Geoffriau Emmanuel and Peffley, (2002). Flavonoid Quantification in Onion by Spectrophotometer Ellen metric and High Performance Liquid ChromatographyAnalysis. Hortscience 37:682–685.
- Majeed M., Badmeev V., Rajendran R. (1998). Piperine as bioavailability enhancer. US Patent 5:744,161.
- NICUS, (2013). Nutrition Information Centre of the University of Stellenbosch.
- Pareek Sunil, Kaushik R.A. (2012). Effect of drying method on quality of gooseberry (emblica officinalis gaertn) powder during storage.
- Pornrut R., Suphaket S., Amornnat T., Kornkanok I. and Seewaboon S, (2009). Antihyperglycemic and histological effects on the pancreas of the aqueous leaves extract of Annona squamosa L. in normal and diabetic rats. Songklanakarin J. Sci. Technol. 31: 73-78.
- Sasi Kumar R, Ray Ramesh C, Prodyut Kumar Paul and Suresh CP, (2013).Development and Storage Studies of Therapeutic Ready to Serve (RTS) Made from Blend of Aloe vera, Aonla and Ginger Juice. J Food Process Technol 2013: 4-6.
- Shirwaikar Annie,Rajendran K., Dinesh Kumar C., RamgopalBodla (2004). Antidiabetic activity of aqueous leaf extract of Annona squamosa in streptozotocin–nicotinamide type 2 diabetic rats, Journal of Ethnopharmacology 91:171–175.
- Srivastava R.P., Sanjeev Kumar, (2006). Fruit and Vegetable Preservation Principles and Practices.
- Sunanda P., Anand K., (2003). Possible amelioration of hyperthyroidism by the leaf extract of Annona squamosa. Current Science 84:1402– 1404.
- Topno K.K., (1997). Plants used by tribals of Chotanagpur against diabetes. Botanica 47: 99–101.
- University of Michigan Health System (USA), (2014).
The Asian Journal of Dairy and Food Research (AJDFR) follows a disclaimer policy that outlines the responsibilities of the journal, authors, reviewers, and readers. The policy is designed to ensure that all published content is accurate and meets ethical standards, and to protect the journal from any legal liability.
The AJDFR does not guarantee the accuracy, completeness, or reliability of the content published in the journal. The opinions expressed in published articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the journal or its editorial board. The journal does not accept any responsibility for any errors or omissions in the content published in the journal.
Authors are responsible for ensuring that their work is original, accurate, and meets ethical standards. They are also responsible for obtaining permission to use copyrighted material and for providing appropriate attribution.
Reviewers are responsible for ensuring that the content of articles is accurate, original, and meets ethical standards. They are also responsible for maintaining confidentiality and disclosing any conflicts of interest.
Readers are responsible for evaluating the content of articles and for making their own judgments about the accuracy and reliability of the information presented. They are also responsible for complying with copyright laws and ethical standards when using the content of articles.
AJDFR is committed to ensuring that all published content meets ethical standards and that all parties involved in the publishing process understand their responsibilities. The disclaimer policy is designed to protect the journal from any legal liability and to ensure that readers can rely on the accuracy and reliability of the content published in the journal.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.