Chief EditorHarjinder Singh
Print ISSN 0971-4456
Online ISSN 0976-0563
NAAS Rating 5.75
Modification of Emulsifying Properties of Cereal Flours by Blending with Legume Flours
First Online 12-06-2021|
Methods: The blends of wheat flour (WF), refined wheat flour (RWF) and maize flour (MF) were prepared by mixing with equal proportions of chickpea flour (CPF) (1:1w/w) in a kitchen blender and analyzed for EA and ES using coconut, canola, corn, rapeseed and sunflower oils.
Result: Statistically significant variations (p<0.05) were observed in the emulsifying properties of the flours and their blends. The blending of cereal flours with CPF showed mixed responses of variation in emulsifying properties from those of the respective pure flours. The EA of the blends was found to be increased from those of the pure WF and RWF but decreased from those of the pure MF and CPF with some exceptions. However, the ES of the blends was decreased from that of the pure WF and increased from those of the pure RWF, MF and CPF. The data would be a valuable contribution to the literature regarding the improvement of functional properties of cereal foods.
- Akinyede, A.I., Amoo, I.A. (2009). Chemical and functional properties of full fat and defatted Cassia fistula seed flours. Pak. J. Nutr. 8(6): 765-9.
- Anton, M., Nau, F., Lechevalier, V. (2009). Egg Proteins. Handbook of Hydrocolloids. Elsevier; p. 359-82.
- Arab, E.A., Helmy, I.M.F., Bareh, G.F. (2010). Nutritional evaluation and functional properties of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) flour and the improvement of spaghetti produced from its. Journal of American Science. 6(10): 1055-72.
- Badar, H. (2013). Functional properties of maize flour and its blends with wheat flour: Optimization of preparation conditions by response surface methodology. Pak. J. Bot. 45(6): 2027-35.
- Bajaj, R., Singh, N., Kaur, A., Inouchi, N. (2018). Structural, morphological, functional and digestibility properties of starches from cereals, tubers and legumes: a comparative study. Journal of Food Science and Technology. Springer. 55(9): 3799-808.
- Beuchat, L.R. (1977). Functional and electrophoretic characteristics of succinylated peanut flour protein. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 25(2): 258-61.
- Bushuk, W. (1986). Wheat: Chemistry and Uses. Cereal Foods World (USA).
- Chau, C.F., Cheung, P.C.K. (1998). Functional properties of flours prepared from three Chinese indigenous legume seeds. Food Chemistry. 61(4): 429-33.
- Edema, M.O., Sanni, L.O., Sanni, A.I. (2005). Evaluation of maize-soybean flour blends for sour maize bread production in Nigeria. African Journal of Biotechnology [Internet]. [cited 2016 Feb 1];4(9). Available from: http://www.ajol.info/index.php/ajb/article/view/71122.
- Farooq, Z., Boye, J.I. (2011). Novel food and industrial applications of pulse flours and fractions. Pulse foods: Processing, quality and nutraceutical applications. Elsevier: Amsterdam, The Netherlands. 283-323.
- Fasasi, O.S., Adeyemi, I.A., Fagbenro, O.A. (2006). Physicochemical properties of Maize-tilapia flour blends. Journal of Food Technology. 2(3): 342-5.
- Feng, H., Jin, H., Gao, Y., Yan, S., Zhang, Y., Zhao, Q., et al. (2020). Effects of freeze-thaw cycles on the structure and emulsifying properties of peanut protein isolates. Food Chemistry. Elsevier. 330: 127215.
- Hussain, A., Kaul, R., Bhat, A. (2018). Development of healthy multigrain biscuits from buckwheat-barley composite flours. Asian Journal of Dairy and Food Research. 37(2):120-5.
- Ishara, J.R., Sila, D.N., Kenji, G.M., Buzera, A.K. (2018). Nutritional and functional properties of mushroom (Agaricus bisporus and Pleurotus ostreatus) and their blends with maize flour. American Journal of Food Science and Technology. 6(1): 33-41.
- Jitngarmkusol, S., Hongsuwankul, J., Tananuwong, K. (2008). Chemical compositions, functional properties and micro-structure of defatted macadamia flours. Food Chemistry. 110(1): 23-30.
- Juliano, B.O. (1999). Comparative nutritive value of various staple foods. Food Reviews International. Taylor and Francis. 15(4): 399-434.
- Kaur, G.J., Rehal, J., Singh, A.K., Singh, B., Kaur, A. (2014). Optimization of extrusion parameters for development of ready-to-eat breakfast cereal using RSM. Asian Journal of Dairy and Food Research. 33(2): 77-86.
- Kim, W., Wang, Y., Selomulya, C. (2020). Dairy and plant proteins as natural food emulsifiers. Trends in Food Science and Technology. Elsevier.
- Lin, M.J.-Y., Humbert, E.S., Sosulski, F.W. (1974). Certain functional properties of sunflower meal products. Journal of Food Science. 39(2): 368-70.
- Nawaz, H., Muzaffar, S., Aslam, M., Ahmad, S. (2018). Phytochemical Composition: Antioxidant Potential and Biological Activities of Corn. Corn-Production and Human Health in Changing Climate. IntechOpen.
- Nawaz, H., Shad, M.A., Mehmood, R., Rehman, T., Munir, H. (2015). Comparative evaluation of functional properties of some commonly used cereal and legume flours and their blends. International Journal of Food and Allied Sciences. 1(2): 67-73.
- Neto, V.Q., Narain, N., Silva, J.B., Bora, P.S. (2001). Functional properties of raw and heat processed cashew nut (Anacardium occidentale L.) kernel protein isolates. Food/Nahrung. 45(4): 258-62.
- Pomeranz, Y. (2012). Functional properties of food components. Academic Press.
- Qamar, S., Manrique, Y.J., Parekh, H., Falconer, J.R. (2020). Nuts, cereals, seeds and legumes proteins derived emulsifiers as a source of plant protein beverages: A review. Critical reviews in food science and nutrition. Taylor and Francis. 60(16): 2742-62.
- Shad, M.A., Nawaz, H., Hussain, M., Yousuf, B. (2011). Proximate composition and functional properties of rhizomes of lotus (Nelumbo nucifera) from Punjab, Pakistan. Pak. J. Bot. 43(2): 895-904.
- Stone, A.K., Nosworthy, M.G., Chiremba, C., House, J.D., Nickerson, M.T. (2019). A comparative study of the functionality and protein quality of a variety of legume and cereal flours. Cereal Chemistry. Wiley Online Library. 96(6):1159-69.
- Tanwar, B., Lamsal, N., Goyal, A., Kumar, V. (2019). Functional and physicochemical characteristics of raw, roasted and germinated buckwheat flour. Asian Journal of Dairy and Food Research. 38(2): 140-144.
- Varsha, R., Grewal, R.B. (2014). Physical and functional properties of six varieties of lentil (Lens culinaris Medik.). Asian Journal of Dairy and Food Research. 33(2): 126-30.
- Wu, H., Wang, Q., Ma, T., Ren, J. (2009). Comparative studies on the functional properties of various protein concentrate preparations of peanut protein. Food Research International. 42(3): 343-8.
- Zeng, J., Gao, H., Li, G., Liang, X. (2011). Extruded corn flour changed the functionality behaviour of blends. Czech Journal of Food Sciences. 29(5): 520-7.
The Asian Journal of Dairy and Food Research (AJDFR) follows a disclaimer policy that outlines the responsibilities of the journal, authors, reviewers, and readers. The policy is designed to ensure that all published content is accurate and meets ethical standards, and to protect the journal from any legal liability.
The AJDFR does not guarantee the accuracy, completeness, or reliability of the content published in the journal. The opinions expressed in published articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the journal or its editorial board. The journal does not accept any responsibility for any errors or omissions in the content published in the journal.
Authors are responsible for ensuring that their work is original, accurate, and meets ethical standards. They are also responsible for obtaining permission to use copyrighted material and for providing appropriate attribution.
Reviewers are responsible for ensuring that the content of articles is accurate, original, and meets ethical standards. They are also responsible for maintaining confidentiality and disclosing any conflicts of interest.
Readers are responsible for evaluating the content of articles and for making their own judgments about the accuracy and reliability of the information presented. They are also responsible for complying with copyright laws and ethical standards when using the content of articles.
AJDFR is committed to ensuring that all published content meets ethical standards and that all parties involved in the publishing process understand their responsibilities. The disclaimer policy is designed to protect the journal from any legal liability and to ensure that readers can rely on the accuracy and reliability of the content published in the journal.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.