Chief EditorHarjinder Singh
Print ISSN 0971-4456
Online ISSN 0976-0563
NAAS Rating 5.75
Process Optimisation and Quality Evaluation of Passion Fruit and Pineapple based Probiotic Drink
First Online 04-08-2021|
Methods: In the present study 5 treatments along with one control with 3 replications were standardized. Passion fruit juice (PFJ) was used as the major ingredient and used in varying proportions starting from 50 to 90 per cent with 10 to 50 per cent of pineapple juice (PJ). The best treatment was selected through sensory evaluation along with control by using a score card with nine point hedonic scale. In the selected treatments optimization for the growth of Lactobacillus acidophilus with regard to substrate concentration, time of incubation, temperature of incubation and inoculum concentration were done. The probiotic drinks and their respective controls were then analysed for their nutrient composition like TSS, titratable acidity, energy and ascorbic acid.
Result: Among the various treatments, highest scores for organoleptic qualities was observed in treatment having 70 per cent passion fruit juice and 30 per cent pineapple juice (T3) with a mean score of 8.52 for overall acceptability. The selected juice was optimized for the growth of Lactobacillus acidophilus and had a viable count of 13.38 log cfu ml-1. The probiotic and non probiotic drinks had TSS content of 12.8 and 13.5° Brix, titratable acidity of 2.28 and 2.03 per cent, energy of 59.32 and 68.96 Kcal and ascorbic acid of 10 and 12.8 mg 100g-1 respectively.
- Adams, M.R., Moss, M.O. and Mcclure, P. J. (2008). Bacterial agents of foodborne illness Staphylococcus aureus. Food Microbiology. (2): 252-256.
- Adebayotayo, B. and Akpeji, S. (2016). Probiotic viability, physicochemical and sensory properties of probiotic pineapple juice. Fermentation. 2(4): 20-25.
- Charan, S.M., Gomez, S., Sheela, K.B., Pushpalatha, P.B. and Suman, K.T. (2017). Effect of storage conditions and duration on quality of passion fruit (Passiflora edulis Sims.) nectar.
- Asian Journal of Dairy and Food Research. 36(2): 161-165.
- Fernandes, A.G., Santos, G.M.D., Silva, D.S.D., Sousa, P.H.M.D., Maia, G.A. and Figueiredo, R.W.D. (2011). Chemical and physicochemical characteristics changes during passion fruit juice processing. Food Science and Technology. 31(3): 747-751.
- FSSAI (Food Safety and Standards Authority of India). (2010). Food safety and standards regulations.[online].Available:old. fssai.gov.in/Portals/0/Final_Regulations_2010.pdf. [25 Jul 2020].
- Gallina, D.A., Barbosa, P.D.P.M., Ormenese, R.D.C.S.C. and Garcia, A.D.O. (2019). Development and characterization of probiotic fermented smoothie beverage. Revista Ciência Agronômica. 50(3): 378-386.
- Gautam, N. and Sharma, N. (2014). Quality attributes of a novel cereal based probiotic product prepared by using food grade lactic acid bacteria. NISCAIR Online Periodicals Repository. 13(3): 525-530.
- Jellinek, G. (1985). Sensory Evaluation of Food: Theory and Practice. Ellis Horwood, Chichester, England, 596p.
- Kumar, K.A., Ramaswamy, L., Rajendran, R. and Sundaram, S.K., (2011). Preparation and microbial evaluation of RTS beverage (punch) prepared with lactic acid fermented carrots and sweet lime juice. Journal of Food Science. 34: 2461-2464.
- Manasi, S., Jha, Y.K. and Shemelis, A. (2013). Development of probiotic beverage from whey and pineapple juice. Journal of Food Processing Technology. 4(2). 1-4.
- Monteiro, S.S., Beserra, A.S.Y., Oliveira, M.L.H. and Pasquali, M.A.D.B. (2020). Production of probiotic passion fruit (Passiflora edulis Sims f. flavicarpa Deg.) drink using Lactobacillus reuteri and microencapsulation via spray drying. Foods. 9(3): 335.
- Najumudheen, S. (2015). Optimum blend of pineapple and passion fruit juices for syrup preparation. MSc. (Food Science and Technology) thesis, University of Calicut, Calicut, 83p.
- Natt, S.K. and Katyal, P. (2021). Current trends in non-dairy probiotics and their acceptance among consumers: A Review. Agricultural Reviews. 39(3). 1-7.
- Nazarudeen, A. (2010). Nutritional composition of some lesser- known fruits used by the ethnic communities and local folks of Kerala. NISCAIR Online Periodicals Repository 9(2). 398-402.
- Nguyen, B.T., Bujna, E., Fekete, N., Tran, A., Rezessy-Szabo, J.M., Prasad, R. and Nguyen, Q.D. (2019). Probiotic beverage from pineapple juice fermented with Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium strains. Frontiers of Nutrition. 6: 54-59.
- Nzabuheraheza, F.D. and Nyiramugwera, A.N. (2014). Golden wine produced from mixed juices of passion fruit (Passiflora edulis), mango (Mangifera indica) and pineapple (Ananas comosus). African Journal of Food, Agriculture and Nutrition Development. 14(4): 9104-9116.
- Ranganna, S. (1986). Manual of Analysis of Fruits and Vegetable Products. Tata Mc Graw Hill Publishing Co. Ltd, New Delhi, 130p.
- Sadasivam S. and Manickam, A. (1992). Biochemical Methods (2nd Ed.). New Age International Private Limited, New Delhi, 254p.
- Seale, P.E. and Sherman, G.D. (1960). Commercial passion fruit processing in Hawaii. Agricultural Food Chemistry. 6: 54-58.
- Shaw, P.E. and Wilson III, C.W. (1988). Sensory evaluation of passion fruit - orange juice blends. Lebensmittel Wissenshaft und Technologie. 21: 358- 359.
- Shukla, M., Jha, Y.K. and Admassu, S. (2013). Development of probiotic beverage from whey and pineapple juice. Journal of Food Processing and Technology. 4(2): 1-4.
- Sobhana, A., Mathew, J., AmbiliAppukutan, A. and Mredhula Raghavan, C. (2011). Blending of cashew apple juice with fruit juices and spices for improving nutritional quality and palatability. In: International symposium on cashew nut, 9-12 December 2011, Madurai. International Society of Horticultural Science, Madurai, p.375.
- Stanton, C., Ross, R.P., Fitzgerald, G.F. and Sinderen, D.V. (2005). Fermented functional foods based on probiotics and their biogenic metabolites. Current Opinion on Biotechnology. 16(2): 198-203.
- Sugandhi, G.P. (2018). Probiotics conventional benefits and cautions in intake-A review. Agricultural Reviews. 39(3): 251-254
- WHO (World Health Organisation). (2001). Health and nutritional properties of probiotics in food including powder milk with live lactic acid bacteria. WHO, Cordoba, Argentina. 168p.
- Yan-li, P.A.N. (2011). Study on fermentation technology of compound wine of pawpaw and passion Fruit. CNKI Journal. 4: 8-16.
The Asian Journal of Dairy and Food Research (AJDFR) follows a disclaimer policy that outlines the responsibilities of the journal, authors, reviewers, and readers. The policy is designed to ensure that all published content is accurate and meets ethical standards, and to protect the journal from any legal liability.
The AJDFR does not guarantee the accuracy, completeness, or reliability of the content published in the journal. The opinions expressed in published articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the journal or its editorial board. The journal does not accept any responsibility for any errors or omissions in the content published in the journal.
Authors are responsible for ensuring that their work is original, accurate, and meets ethical standards. They are also responsible for obtaining permission to use copyrighted material and for providing appropriate attribution.
Reviewers are responsible for ensuring that the content of articles is accurate, original, and meets ethical standards. They are also responsible for maintaining confidentiality and disclosing any conflicts of interest.
Readers are responsible for evaluating the content of articles and for making their own judgments about the accuracy and reliability of the information presented. They are also responsible for complying with copyright laws and ethical standards when using the content of articles.
AJDFR is committed to ensuring that all published content meets ethical standards and that all parties involved in the publishing process understand their responsibilities. The disclaimer policy is designed to protect the journal from any legal liability and to ensure that readers can rely on the accuracy and reliability of the content published in the journal.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.