Chief EditorHarjinder Singh
Print ISSN 0971-4456
Online ISSN 0976-0563
NAAS Rating 5.75
Improved Cattle Production Parameter Drivers Among Farmers in Mpumalanga Province of South Africa
First Online 18-06-2020|
- Aarif, O., Pampori, Z.A., Hasin, D., Sheikh, A.A., Bhat, I.A. and Parra, J.D. (2019). Accessing drop in milk production in cattle due to cold climate and subsequent nutrient amelio- -ration in temperate Kashmir. Indian Journal of Animal Research. 54(2): 143–148. doi: 10.18805/ijar.B-3760
- Alexandratos, N. and Bruinsma, J. (2012). World Agriculture towards 2030/2050: The 2012 Revision. (No. No.12-03). Rome.
- Blanco, M., Ripoll, G., Albertí, P., Sanz, A., Revilla, R., Villalba, D. and Casasus, I. (2008). Effect of early weaning on per- -formance, carcass and meat quality of spring-born bull calves raised in dry mountain areas. Livestock Science 115(2): 226–234.
- FAOSTAT. (2013). Electronic Database of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN. Rome.
- Filley, S. (2011). Weaning Beef Calves. Retrieved from Oregon State University Extension Services, Circular No. Reg LandF0503 website: http://extension.oregonstate.edu/douglas/sites/default/files/documents.
- Getahun, K., Tadesse, M. and Hundie, D. (2020). Analysis of Genetic Parameters for Reproductive Traits in Crossbred Dairy Cattle Maintained at Holetta Agricultural Research Center. Asian Journal of Dairy and Food Research. 39(1): 10–16. Doi: 10.18805/ajdfr.DR-146.
- Goyache, F., Gutiérrez, J., Álvarez, I., Fernández, I., Royo, L. and Gomez, E. (2003). Genetic analysis of calf survival at different preweaning ages in beef cattle. Livestock Production. 83(1): 13-20.
- Gujarati, D. and Porter, D. (2003). Basic Econometrics. 4th. In New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Gusha, J., Manyuchi, C., Imbayarwo-Chikosi, V., Hamandishe, V., Katsande, S. and Zvinorova, P. (2014). Production and economic performance of F1-crossbred dairy cattle fed non-conventional protein supplements in Zimbabwe. Tropical Animal Health and Production. 46(1): 229–234.
- Harbers, A., Segeren, L. and Jong, G. de. (2000). Genetic parameters for stillbirth in the Netherlands. Interbull Bull. 25(11): 122.
- Meyer, C., Berger, P., Thompson, J. and Sattler, C. (2001). Genetic Evaluation of Holstein Sires and Maternal Grandsires in the United States for Perinatal Survival1. Journal of Dairy Science. 84(5): 1246–1254.
- Molefi, S.H., Mbajiorgu, C.A. and Antwi, M.A. (2017). Management practices and constraints of beef cattle production in communal areas of Mpumalanga Province, South Africa. Indian J. Anim. Res. 51(1): 187–192.
- Mousel, E. (2013). Economics of the Weaning Percentage Measure- -ment. Retrieved May 24, 2017, from South Dakota Rancher Newsletter. website: hthttp://southdakotarancher. blogspot. co.za/2010/07/ economics-of-weaning-percentage.html.
- Mpumalanga, D. (2006). Integrated Resource Information Report: Albert Luthuli. In: Mpumalanga Provincial Government: DALA. Nelspruit.
- Myers, S., Faulkner, D., Ireland, F., Berger, L. and Parrett, D. (1999). Production systems comparing early weaning to normal weaning with or without creep feeding for beef steers. Journal of Animal Science. 77(2): 300–310.
- Myers, S., Faulkner, D., Ireland, F. and Parrett, D. (1999). Comparison of three weaning ages on cow-calf performance and steer carcass traits. Journal of Animal Science. 77(2): 323–329.
- NCBA. (1992). Healthy Ranch Beef. Retrieved May 24, 2017, from National Cattlemen’s Beef Association. website: http://www.beefmagazine.com/ mag/beefmaking_data_available
- Nqeno, N., Chimonyo, M. and Mapiye, C. (2011). Farmers’ perceptions of the causes of low reproductive performance in cows kept under low-input communal production systems in South Africa. Tropical Animal Health and Production. 43 (2): 315–321.
- OECD (2001). Multifunctionality -Towards an Analytical Framework. In: Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development. Paris, France.
- Patel, K.J. and Boghra, V.R. (2018). Modifications in Richmond formula for calculating Solids-not-fat/Total solids percent in cows’ milk in Gujarat State. Asian Journal of Dairy and Food Research. 37(4): 278–282. doi: 10.18805/ajdfr.DR- 1312
- Prayaga, K. (2004). Evaluation of beef cattle genotypes and estimation of direct and maternal genetic effects in a tropical environment. 3. Fertility and calf survival traits. Crop and Pasture Science. 55(8): 811–824.
- Reiling, B. (2011). Standardized Calculation and Interpretation of Basic Cow Herd Performance Measures. Retrieved May 24, 2017, from Nebraska Extension, NebGuide. website: http://extension publications.unl.edu/g2094/g2094.html
- Richardson, F. (1979). of beef cows and of their calves in a marginal rainfall area of Rhodesia. 4. The growth and efficiency of live-weight gain of weaned and sucking calves at different ages. Animal Production. 28(2): 213–222.
- Scholtz, M. and Bester, J. (2010). The effect of stock theft and mortalities on the livestock industry in South Africa. Applied Animal Husbandry and Rural Development. 3(1): 15–18.
- Scott, S., Goldberg, M. and Mayo, N. (1997). Statistical assessment of ordinal outcomes in comparative studies. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology. 50(1): 45–55.
- Sibanda, B. (2014). Beef cattle development initiatives: A case of Matobo A2 Resettlement farms in Zimbabwe. Global Journal of Animal Scientific Research. 2(3): 197–204.
- Siegmund-Schultze, M., Lange, F., Schneiderat, U. and Steinbach, J. (2012). Performance, management and objectives of cattle farming on communal ranges in Namibia. Journal of Arid Environments. 80: 65–73.
- Tada, O., Muchenje, V. and Dzama, K. (2012). Monetary value, current roles, marketing options and farmer concerns of communal Nguni cattle in the Eastern Cape Province, South Africa. African Journal of Business Management. 6(45): 113-124.
- Tavirimirwa, B., Mwembe, R., Ngulube, B., Banana, N., Nyamushamba, G., Ncube, S. and Nkomboni, D. (2013). Communal cattle production in Zimbabwe: A review. Livestock Research for Rural Development. 25(12): 102–110.
- Waterman, R., Geary, T., Paterson, J. and Lipsey, R. (2012). Early weaning in Northern Great Plains beef cattle production systems: II. Development of replacement heifers weaned at 80 or 215d of age. Livestock Science. 148(1): 36–45.
- Williams, R. (2006). Generalized ordered logit/partial proportional odds models for ordinal dependent variables. Stata Journal. 6(1): 58.
The Asian Journal of Dairy and Food Research (AJDFR) follows a disclaimer policy that outlines the responsibilities of the journal, authors, reviewers, and readers. The policy is designed to ensure that all published content is accurate and meets ethical standards, and to protect the journal from any legal liability.
The AJDFR does not guarantee the accuracy, completeness, or reliability of the content published in the journal. The opinions expressed in published articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the journal or its editorial board. The journal does not accept any responsibility for any errors or omissions in the content published in the journal.
Authors are responsible for ensuring that their work is original, accurate, and meets ethical standards. They are also responsible for obtaining permission to use copyrighted material and for providing appropriate attribution.
Reviewers are responsible for ensuring that the content of articles is accurate, original, and meets ethical standards. They are also responsible for maintaining confidentiality and disclosing any conflicts of interest.
Readers are responsible for evaluating the content of articles and for making their own judgments about the accuracy and reliability of the information presented. They are also responsible for complying with copyright laws and ethical standards when using the content of articles.
AJDFR is committed to ensuring that all published content meets ethical standards and that all parties involved in the publishing process understand their responsibilities. The disclaimer policy is designed to protect the journal from any legal liability and to ensure that readers can rely on the accuracy and reliability of the content published in the journal.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.