Chief EditorHarjinder Singh
Print ISSN 0971-4456
Online ISSN 0976-0563
NAAS Rating 5.75
Effect of Replacement of Sugar with Jaggery Powder on Sensory and Nutritional Quality of Shrikhand
First Online 02-01-2021|
Method: In this study Laboratory investigation during 2019-2020 conducted. The experiment was carried out in the Department of Dairy science Research Centre, Yeshwant Mahavidyalaya Nanded, MS. To utilize jaggery powder in place of sugar, value added shrikhand prepared by replacing 45 % sugar replaced with three levels of sugar i.e. 31, 41, and 51% Jaggery powder was used and study was laid in Completely Randomized Design with three replication. The effect of all treated samples and their interaction were studied on the sensory quality of Shrikhand.
Conclusion: In present investigation the effect of Jaggery powder on the sensory and nutritional quality of value added Shrikhand was studied, on the basis of sensory and chemical qualities. There was a significant difference (P<0.05) in overall acceptability scores observed between all treatment combinations. Higher acceptability score (7.99) indicating superior acceptability among experimental samples. The mean liking was in the following trend: SO>S2>S1>S3 .The present work showed that Shrikhand (S2) prepared with 41% Jaggery powder had more acceptable quality characteristics among all the experimental samples. The nutritional parameters were significantly (p<0.05) differ except protein. It is acceptable that sugar can be replaced with Jaggery powder on an equal weight basis in preparation of shrikhand.
- Amble, V.N. (1975). Statistical Methods in Animal Science (1st Edn.) Indian Society Agricultural Statistics, New Delhi, 199-219.
- Aneja, R.P, Mathur, B.N., Chandan, R.C and Banerjee, A.K. (2002). Technology of Indian Milk products. A Dairy India Publication, Delhi, India.
- A.O.A.C. (2005).Official Methods of Analysis, 11th Edition. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, D.C.
- De, S. (1991). Outline of Dairy Technology (2nd Edn.) Oxford University Press, New Delhi.
- F.S.S.A.I (2011). The Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006, (34 of 2006), pp. 156.
- Gupta, S.K (1976). Sensory Evaluation in Food Industry. Indian Dairyman. 28: 293-295.
- IS: 1479, Part-III (1961). Methods of Test for Dairy Industry. Rapid examination of milk. Indian Standard Institution, Manak Bhavan, New Delhi (India).
- Lamdande, A.G., Khabeer, S.T, Kulathooran, R, Dasappa, I. (2018). Effect of replacement of sugar with Jaggery on pasting properties of wheat flour, physico-sensory and storage characteristics of muffins. Journal of Food Science Technology. 55(8): 3144-3153. Doi: 10.1007/s13197-018-3242-7.
- Landge, U.B., Pawar, B.K., Choudhari, D.M. (2011). Preparation of Shrikhand using Ashwagandha powder as additive. Journal of Dairying, Foods and Home Science. 30(2): 79-84.
- Nadaf, N.Y., Patil R.S. and Zanzurne C.H. (2012). Effect of addition of Gulkand and rose petal powder on chemical composition and organoleptic properties of Shrikhand. Recent Research in Science and Technology. 4(10): 52-5.
- Nigam, N, Singh, R., Upadhayay, P.K. (2009). Incorporation of Chakka by papaya pulp during the manufacture of Shrikhand. Journal of Dairying, Foods and Home Science. 28(2): 115-118
- Pawar, D.A., Jadhav, M.S. and Nimbalkar, C.A. (2017). Techniques and Advances in Jaggery Processing: A review. Research Journal of Chemical and Environmental Sciences. 5(2): 14-20.
- Punetambekar P.M. (1968). Studies on levels of fat and sugar on quality of Shrikhand and estimation of fat by modifying the Gerber Test of Milk. M.Sc. Thesis submitted to Sardar Patel University V.V. Nagar.
- SP: 18, (Part XI) (1981). Handbook of Food Analysis Dairy Products, Indian Standards Institution, New Delhi.
- Tondare, J.C. and Hembade, A.S. (2019). Effect of stevia leaf extract powder on sensory characteristics of Amrakhand. Asian Journal of Dairy and Food Research. 38(1): 28-30.
The Asian Journal of Dairy and Food Research (AJDFR) follows a disclaimer policy that outlines the responsibilities of the journal, authors, reviewers, and readers. The policy is designed to ensure that all published content is accurate and meets ethical standards, and to protect the journal from any legal liability.
The AJDFR does not guarantee the accuracy, completeness, or reliability of the content published in the journal. The opinions expressed in published articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the journal or its editorial board. The journal does not accept any responsibility for any errors or omissions in the content published in the journal.
Authors are responsible for ensuring that their work is original, accurate, and meets ethical standards. They are also responsible for obtaining permission to use copyrighted material and for providing appropriate attribution.
Reviewers are responsible for ensuring that the content of articles is accurate, original, and meets ethical standards. They are also responsible for maintaining confidentiality and disclosing any conflicts of interest.
Readers are responsible for evaluating the content of articles and for making their own judgments about the accuracy and reliability of the information presented. They are also responsible for complying with copyright laws and ethical standards when using the content of articles.
AJDFR is committed to ensuring that all published content meets ethical standards and that all parties involved in the publishing process understand their responsibilities. The disclaimer policy is designed to protect the journal from any legal liability and to ensure that readers can rely on the accuracy and reliability of the content published in the journal.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.