Chief EditorHarjinder Singh
Print ISSN 0971-4456
Online ISSN 0976-0563
NAAS Rating 5.75
Studies on Evaluation and Determination of Physical and Functional Properties of Millets. (Ragi and Pearl Millet)
First Online 08-11-2019|
- AACC (2000). In D. E. Bruns (Ed.). Oﬃcial methods of analysis (10th ed). St Paul, MN: American Association of Cereal Chemists.
- Abdullah, M. H. R. O., Ch'ng, P. E., & Yunus, N. A. (2012). Some physical properties of musk lime (Citrus Microcarpa). International Journal of Biological, Biomolecular, Agricultural, Food and Biotechnological Engineering, 6(12), 1122–1125.
- Adebowale, A. A., Adegoke, M. T., Sanni, S. A., Adegunwa, M. O., & Fetuga, G. O. (2012). Functional properties and biscuit making potentials of sorghum-wheat ﬂour com-posite. Journal of Food Technology, 7(6), 372–379.
- Adebowale, A. A., Fetuga, G. O., Apata, C. B., & Sannai, L. O. (2012). Eﬀect of variety and initial moisture content on physical properties of improved millet grains. Nigerian Food Journal, 30(1), 5–10.
- Akpata, M. L., & Akubor, P. I. (1999). Chemical composition and selected functional properties of sweet orange (Citrus sinensis) seed ﬂour. Plant Foods for Human Nutrition, 54, 353–362.
- Al-Mahasneh, M. A., & Rababah, T. M. (2007). Eﬀect of moisture content on some phy- sical properties of green wheat. Journal of Food Engineering, 79, 1467–1473.
- Amadou, I., Mahamadou, E. G., & Le, G.-W. (2013). Millets, Nutritional composition, some health beneﬁts and processing - A Review. Food Science and Technology, 25(7), 501–508.
- Anyasi, T. A., Jideani, A. I. O., & Mchau, G. R. A. (2017). Eﬀect of organic acid pre- treatment on microstructure, functional and thermal properties of unripe banana ﬂour. Journal of Food Measurement and Characterization, 11, 99–110.
- Bachar, K., Imangour, E., Khaled, A. B., Abid, M., Haddad, M., Yahya, L. B.,... Ferchichi, A. (2013). Fibre content and mineral composition of the ﬁnger millet of the Oasis of Gabes of Tunisia. Journal of Agricultural Science, 5(2), 219–226.
- Balasubramanian, S., & Viswanathan, R. (2010). Inﬂuence of moisture content on phy- sical properties of minor millets. Journal of Food Science, 47(3), 279–284.
- Baryeh, E. A. (2002). Physical properties millets. Journal of Food Engineering, 51, 39–46.
- Bhattacharya, S., & Malleshi, N. G. (2012). Physical, chemical and nutritional char-acteristics of premature-processed and matured green legumes. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 49(4), 459–466.
- Bhol, S., & John Don Bosco, S. (2014). Inﬂuence of malted ﬁnger and red kidney bean ﬂour on quality characteristics of developed bread. LWT - Food Science and Technology, 55, 294–300.
- Dharmaraj, U., Meera, M. S., Yella Reddy, S. Y., & Malleshi, N. G. (2015). Inﬂuence of hydrothermal processing on functional properties and grain morphology of ﬁnger millet. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 52(3), 1361–1371.
- Faleye, T., Atere, A. O., Oladipo, O. N., & Agaja, M. O. (2013). Determination of some physical and mechanical properties of some cowpea varieties. African Journal of Agricultural Research, 8(49), 6485–6487.
- Giami, S. Y. (1993). Eﬀect of processing on the proximate composition and functional properties of cowpea (Vigna unquiculata) ﬂour. Food Chemistry, 47, 153–158.
- Gorinstein, S., Pawlzik, E., Delgado-Licon, E., Yamamoto, K., Kobayashi, S., Taniguchi, H.,.. Trakhtengerg, S. (2004). Use of scanning electron microscopy to indicate the si- milarities and diﬀerences in pseudocereal and cereal proteins. International Journal of Food Science and Technology, 39, 183–189.
- Goswami, D., Manikantan, M. R., Gupta, R. K., & Vishwakarma, R. K. (2015). Moisture dependent selected postharvest engineering properties of ragi (Eleusine coracana) grown in Northern Hills of India. Journal of Postharvest Technology, 3(3), 082–088.
- Gull, A., Kmalesh, P., & Kumar, P. (2015). Optimisation and functionality of millet sup- plemented pasta. Food Science and Technology, 35(4), 626–632.
- Hamdani, A., Rather, S. A., Shah, A., Gani, A., Wani, S. M., Masoodi, F. A., & Gani, A. (2014). Physical properties of barley and oats cultivars grown in high altitude Himalayan regions of India. Journal of Food Measurement and Characterization, 8, 296–304.
- Jain, R. K., & Bal, S. (1997). Properties of pearl millet. Journal of Agricultural Engineering Research, 66, 85–91.
- Jideani, I. A. (2012). Digitaria exilis (acha/fonio), Digitaria iburua (iburu/fonio) and Eleusine coracana (tamba/ﬁnger millet) - Non-conventional cereal grains with potentials. Scientiﬁc Review and Essays, 7(45), 3834–3843.
- Jideani, I. A., & Jideani, V. A. (2011). Developments on the cereal grains Digitaria exilis (acha) and Digitaria iburua (iburu). Journal of Food Science and Technology, 48(3), 251–259.
- Jideani, I. A., Takeda, Y., & Hizukuri, S. (1996). Structures and physiochemical properties of acha (Digitaria exilis), iburu (D. iburua) and tamba (Eleusine coracana). Cereal Chemistry, 73(6), 77–685.
- Karababa, E., & Coᶊkuner, Y. (2013). Physical properties of carob bean (Ceratonia siliqua L.): An industrial gum yielding crop. Industrial Crops and Products, 42, 440–446.
- Kibar, B., & Kibar, H. (2017). Determination of the nutritional and seed properties of some wild edible plants consumed as vegetable in the Middle black sea region of Turkey. South African Journal of Botany, 108, 117–125.
- Krishnan, R., Dharmaraj, U., Sai Manohar, R., & Malleshi, N. G. (2011). Quality char- acteristics of biscuits prepared from ﬁnger millet seed coat based composite ﬂour. Food Chemistry, 129, 499–506.
- Kumari, N., & Raghuvanshi, R. S. (2015). Physico-chemical and functional properties of buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentum Moench). Journal of Eco-friendly Agriculture, 10(1), 77–81.
- Mandge, H. M., Sharma, S., & Dar, B. N. (2014). Instant multigrain porridge: eﬀect of cooking treatment on physicochemical and functional properties. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 51(1), 97–103.
- Mariotti, M., Alamprese, C., Pagani, M. A., & Lucisano, M. (2006). Eﬀect of puﬃng on ultrastructure and physical characteristics of cereal grains and ﬂours. Journal of Cereal Science, 43, 47–56.
- Markowski, M., Zuk-Gołaszewska, K., & Kwiatkowski, D. (2013). Inﬂuence of variety on selected physical and mechanical properties of wheat. Industrial Crops and Products, 47, 113–117.
- Mpotokwane, S. M., Gaditlhatlhelwe, E., Sebaka, A., & Jideani, V. A. (2008). Physical properties of Bambara groundnuts from Botswana. Journal of Food Engineering, 89, 93–98.
- Muthamilarasan, M., Dhaka, A., Yadav, R., & Prasad, M. (2016). Exploration of millet models for developing nutrient rich graminaceous crops. Plant Science, 242, 89–97.
- Olapade, A. A., Babalola, Y. O., & Aworth, O. C. (2014). Quality attributes of fufu (fer- mented cassava) ﬂour supplemented with bambara ﬂour. International Food Research Journal, 21(5), 2025–2032.
- Pathare, P. B., Opara, U. L., & A-Said, F. A. (2013). Color measurement and analysis in fresh and processed foods: A Review. Food and Bioprocess Technology, 6, 36–60.
- Poutanen, K. (2012). Past and future of cereal grains as food for health. Trends in Food Science and Technology, 25, 58–62.
- Sakhare, S. D., Inamdar, A. A., Soumya, C., Indrani, D., & Venkateswara Rao, G. (2014). Eﬀect of ﬂour particle size on microstructural, rheological and physico-sensory characteristics of bread and south Indian parotta. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 51(12), 4108–4113.
- Saleh, S. M., Zhang, Q., Chen, J., & Shen, Q. (2013). Millet grains, Nutritional quality, processing and potential health beneﬁts. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Technology, 12, 281–295.
- Sangamithra, A., Swamy, G. J., Sorna, P. R., Nandini, K., Kannan, K., Sasikala, S., & Suganya, P. (2016). Moisture dependent physical properties of maize kernels. International Food Research Journal, 23(1), 109–115.
- Sawant, A. A., Thakor, N. J., Swami, S. B., & Divate, A. D. (2013). Physical and sensory characteristics of ready-to-eat food prepared from ﬁnger millet based composite mixer by extrusion. Agricultural Engineering International Journal, 15(1), 100–105.
- Shiihii, S. U., Musa, H., Bhati, P. G., & Martins, E. (2011). Evaluation of physicochemical properties of Eleusine coracana starch. Nigerian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 10(1), 91–102.
- Siroha, A. K., Sandahu, K. S., & Kaur, M. (2016). Physicochemical, functional and anti- oxidant properties of ﬂour from pearl millet varieties grown in India. Journal of Food Measurement and Characterization, 10, 311–318.
- Siwela, M., Taylor, J. N. R., de Milliano, W. A. J., & Doudu, K. G. (2010). Inﬂuence of phenolics in ﬁnger millet on grains and malt fungal load, and malt quality. Food Chemistry, 121, 443–449.
- Siwela, M., Taylor, J. R. N., de Milliano, W. A. J., & Doudu, K. G. (2007). Occurrence and location of tannins in ﬁnger millet grain and antioxidant activity of diﬀerent grain type. Cereal Chemistry, 84(2), 169–174.
- Sun, Q., Gong, M., Li, Y., & Xiong, L. (2014). Eﬀect of dry heat treatment on the physi- cochemical properties and structure of proso millet ﬂour and starch. Carbohydrate Polymers, 110, 128–134.
- Takhellambam, R. D., Chimmand, B. V., & Prkasam, J. N. (2016). Ready-to-cook millet ﬂakes based on minor millets for modern consumer. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 53(2), 1312–1318.
- Thilagavathi, T., Kanchana, S., Banumathi, P., Hemalatha, G., Vanniarajani, C., Sundar, M., & Ilamaran, M. (2015). Physico-chemical and functional characteristics of se- lected millets and pulses. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 8(S7), 147–155.
- Upadhyaya, H. D., Ramesh, S., Sharma, S., Singh, S. K., Varshney, S. K., Sarma, N. D. R. K., ... Singh, S. (2011). Genetic diversity for grains nutrients contents in a core col- lection of ﬁnger millet, Eleusine coracana L. germpalsm. Field Crops Research, 121, 42–52.
- Usman, M. A., Bolade, M. K., & James, S. (2016). Functional properties of weaning food blends from selected sorghum [Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench] varieties and soybean (Glycine max). African Journal of Food Science, 10(8), 112–121.
- Vadivoo, A. S., Joseph, R., & Ganesan, N. M. (1998). Genetic variability and diversity for protein and calcium contents in ﬁnger millet [Eleusine coracana (L.) Gaertn] in re- lation to grains color. Plant Foods for Human Nutrition, 52, 353–364.
- Vanrnamkhasti, M. G., Mobli, H., Jafari, A., Keyhani, A. R., Soltanabadi, M. H., Raﬁee, S., & Kheiralopour, K. (2008). Some physical properties of rough rice (Oryza sativa L.) grain. Journal of Cereal Science, 47, 496–501.
- Verma, V., & Patel, S. (2013). Value added products from nutri-cereals, Finger millet (Eleusine coracana). Emirates Journal of Food Agriculture, 25(3), 169–176.
- Wrolstad, R. E., & Smith, D. E. (2010). Colour analysis. In S. S. Nielsen (Ed.). Food analysis (pp. 573–586). New York: Springer Science+Business Media. https://doi.org/10. 1007/978-1-4419-1478-1.
- Zewdu, A. D., & Solomon, W. K. (2007). Moisture-dependent physical properties of teﬀ seed. Biosystems Engineering, 96(1), 57–63.
The Asian Journal of Dairy and Food Research (AJDFR) follows a disclaimer policy that outlines the responsibilities of the journal, authors, reviewers, and readers. The policy is designed to ensure that all published content is accurate and meets ethical standards, and to protect the journal from any legal liability.
The AJDFR does not guarantee the accuracy, completeness, or reliability of the content published in the journal. The opinions expressed in published articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the journal or its editorial board. The journal does not accept any responsibility for any errors or omissions in the content published in the journal.
Authors are responsible for ensuring that their work is original, accurate, and meets ethical standards. They are also responsible for obtaining permission to use copyrighted material and for providing appropriate attribution.
Reviewers are responsible for ensuring that the content of articles is accurate, original, and meets ethical standards. They are also responsible for maintaining confidentiality and disclosing any conflicts of interest.
Readers are responsible for evaluating the content of articles and for making their own judgments about the accuracy and reliability of the information presented. They are also responsible for complying with copyright laws and ethical standards when using the content of articles.
AJDFR is committed to ensuring that all published content meets ethical standards and that all parties involved in the publishing process understand their responsibilities. The disclaimer policy is designed to protect the journal from any legal liability and to ensure that readers can rely on the accuracy and reliability of the content published in the journal.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.