Chief EditorHarjinder Singh
Print ISSN 0971-4456
Online ISSN 0976-0563
NAAS Rating 5.75
Physicochemical and Bioactive Compounds in Carrot and Beetroot Juice
First Online 08-11-2019|
- A.O.A.C. (2005). Official Methods of Analysis. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Washington, D.C. 16th edition.
- Amorium, H.V., Dougall, D.K. and Sharp, W.R. (1997). The effect of carbohydrate and nitrogen concentrations of phenol synthesis in plant scarlet rose cells grown in tissue culture. Physiologia Plantarum, 39: 91-95.
- Askar, A. and Treptow, H. (1993). Ascorbic acid. In: Quality assurance in tropical fruit processing. Springer Laboratory, New York, pp. 28-29.
- Bystricka, J., Kavalcova, P., Musilova, J., Vollmannova, A., Tomas, T.O.T.H. and Lenkova, M. (2015). Carrot (Daucus carota L. ssp. sativus (Hoffm.) Arcang.) as source of antioxidants. Actaagriculturae Slovenica, 105(2): 303-311.
- Clifford, T., Constantinou, C.M., Keane, K.M., West, D.J., Howatson, G. and Stevenson, E.J. (2017). The plasma bioavailability of nitrate and betanin from Beta vulgaris in humans. European Journal of Nutrition, 56(3): 1245-1254.
- Czapski, J., Mikołajczyk, K. and Kaczmarek, M. (2009). Relationship between antioxidant capacity of red beet juice and contents of its betalain pigments. Polish journal of food and nutrition sciences, 59(2)
- Dambalkar, V.S., Rudrawar, B.D and Poojari, V.R. (2016). Study of physico-chemical properties and sensory attributes of beetroot-orange RTS drink. International Journal of Science and Research, 4(10), 589-594.
- Dias, J.S. (2012). Major Classes of Phyto-nutraceuticals in vegetables and health benefits: A Review. Journal of Nutritional Therapeutics, 1, 31-62.
- FAO. (2011). Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Statistics web site http://www.fao.org
- Hulme, A.C and Narain, R. (1931). The ferricyanide method for determination of reducing sugars. A modification of Hagedom-Jensen-Hanes technique. Biochemistry Journal, 25(4), 1051-1061.
- Jothi, J.S., Karmoker, P. and Sarower, K. (2014). Quality assessment of mixed fruit squash: physico-chemical analysis, sensory evaluation and storage studies. Journal of the Bangladesh Agricultural University, 12(1), 195-201.
- Kazimierczak, R., Silakiewicz, A., Hallmann, E., Srednicka-Tober, D. and Rembialkowska, E. (2016). Chemical composition of selected beetroot juices in relation to beetroot production system and processing technology. Notulae Botanicae Horti Agrobotanici Cluj-Napoca, 44(2), 491-498.
- Khade, A.A. (2015). Studies on preparation and storage of ready to serve beverage from beetroot juice. Ph.D. Thesis submitted to MPKV, Rahauri, India.
- Kovarovic, J., Bystricka, J., Tomas, J. and Lenkova, M. (2017). The influence of variety on the content of bioactive compounds in beetroot (Beta vulgaris L.). Potravinarstvo Slovak Journal of Food Sciences, 11(1), 106-112.
- Kujala, T.S., Loponen, J.M., Klika, K.D. and Pihlaja, K. (2000). Phenolics and betacyanins in red beetroot (Beta vulgaris) root: Distribution and effect of cold storage on the content of total phenolics and three individual compounds. Journal of Agricultural Food Chemistry, 48, 5338-5342.
- Leahu, A., Damian, C., Carpiuc, N., Oroian, M. and Avramiuc, M. (2013). Change in colour and physicochemical quality of carrot juice mixed with other fruits. Journal of Agroalimentary Processes and Technologies, 19, 241-246.
- Manea, I. (2013). Evolution of bioactive compounds in fruit juices during preservation by refrigeration. Revue Roumaine de Chimie, 58(7-8), 619-622.
- Moza, J. (2010). Effect of pulsed electric field on extraction and quality of carrot juice. M.Sc. Thesis submitted to CCSHAU, Hisar.
- National Horticulture Board. (2016). Horticultural statistics at a glance.Oxford University Press, New Delhi, p 199.
- Nilsson, T. (1970). Studies into the pigments in beetroot (Beta vulgaris L. ssp. vulgaris var. rubra L.) .Lantbrukshogskolans Annaler, 36, 179-219.
- Perez, E. and Perez, L. (2009). Effect of the addition of cassava flour and beetroot juice on the quality of fettuccine. African Journal of Food Science, 3(11), 352-360.
- Ranganna, S. (2014). Handbook of analysis and quality control for fruit and vegetable products. Tata McGraw Hills Publishing Co. Ltd., New Delhi.
- Rodriguez-Amayaa, D.B. (2004). A guide to carotenoids analysis in foods. ILSI Press, Washington. pp 35-36.
- Shimada, K., Fujikawa, K., Yahara, K. and Nakamura, T. (1992). Antioxidative properties of xanthan on the antioxidation of soybean oil in cyclodextrin emulsion. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 40, 945-948.
- Singh, B. and Hathan, B. S. (2014). Chemical composition, functional properties and processing of Beetroot-a review. International Journal of Science and Engineering Research, 5(1), 679-684.
- Tanumihardjo, S.A. and Yang, Z. (2005). Carotenoids: Epidemiology of health effects. In: Encyclopedia of human nutrition. 2nd ed. Caballero B, Allen L, Prentice A, editors. Oxford: Elsevier Ltd. pp 339–45.
- Vasconcellos, J., Conte-Junior, C., Silva, D., Pierucci, A. P., Paschoalin, V. and Alvares, T.S. (2016). Comparison of total antioxidant potential, and total phenolic, nitrate, sugar, and organic acid contents in beetroot juice, chips, powder, and cooked beetroot. Food Science and Biotechnology, 25(1), 79-84.
- Venkatachalam, K., Rangasamy, R. and Krishnan, V. (2014). Total antioxidant activity and radical scavenging capacity of selected fruits and vegetables from South India. International Food Research Journal, 21(3), 1039-1043.
- Wruss, J., Waldenberger, G., Huemer, S., Uygun, P., Lanzerstorfer, P., Muller, U., Hoglinger, O. and Weghuber, J. (2015). Compositional characteristics of commercial beetroot products and beetroot juice prepared from seven beetroot varieties grown in Upper Austria. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, 42, 46-55.
- Yoon, K.Y., Cha, M., Shin, S.R. and Kim, K. S. (2005). Enzymatic production of a soluble-fiber hydrolyzate from carrot pomace and its sugar composition. Food Chemistry, 92, 151–157.
- Zadernowski, R., Piłat, B., Czaplicki, S., & Ogrodowska, D. (2010). Characteristics of the black carrot (Daucus carota ssp. sativus var. Atrorubens Alef). Publisher UWM, 438.
- Zhang, D. and Hamauzu, Y. (2004) Phenolic Compounds and Their Antioxidant Properties in Different Tissues of Carrots (Daucus carotaL.).Journal of Food, Agriculture and Environment (JFAE), 2, 95-100.
The Asian Journal of Dairy and Food Research (AJDFR) follows a disclaimer policy that outlines the responsibilities of the journal, authors, reviewers, and readers. The policy is designed to ensure that all published content is accurate and meets ethical standards, and to protect the journal from any legal liability.
The AJDFR does not guarantee the accuracy, completeness, or reliability of the content published in the journal. The opinions expressed in published articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the journal or its editorial board. The journal does not accept any responsibility for any errors or omissions in the content published in the journal.
Authors are responsible for ensuring that their work is original, accurate, and meets ethical standards. They are also responsible for obtaining permission to use copyrighted material and for providing appropriate attribution.
Reviewers are responsible for ensuring that the content of articles is accurate, original, and meets ethical standards. They are also responsible for maintaining confidentiality and disclosing any conflicts of interest.
Readers are responsible for evaluating the content of articles and for making their own judgments about the accuracy and reliability of the information presented. They are also responsible for complying with copyright laws and ethical standards when using the content of articles.
AJDFR is committed to ensuring that all published content meets ethical standards and that all parties involved in the publishing process understand their responsibilities. The disclaimer policy is designed to protect the journal from any legal liability and to ensure that readers can rely on the accuracy and reliability of the content published in the journal.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.