Chief EditorHarjinder Singh
Print ISSN 0971-4456
Online ISSN 0976-0563
NAAS Rating 5.75
Effect of germination on proximate principles, minerals and anti nutrients of flaxseeds
First Online 20-03-2017|
Four flaxseed varieties viz., JL-27, JL-23, JLS-6, and JLS-9 were germinated for 48 hours. Moisture, fat, protein, and fibre, minerals and antinutritional factors were analyzed in germinated flaxseeds and were compared with the raw. Macro and micro minerals were also assessed for both raw and germinated flaxseeds. Results showed significant variations between raw and germinated flaxseeds. Germinated flaxseeds were more nutritious as compared to raw flaxseeds. Raw flaxseeds were rich in macro minerals whereas germination significantly improved the micro mineral profile of flaxseeds. Germinated JLS-9 seeds revealed maximum significant increase for iron, zinc and manganese. Germination process significantly reduced the cyanogenic glycosides and phytic acid. Maximum reduction for cyanogenic glycosides (82.37%) was noted in JLS-9, whereas phytic acid decline was maximum (52.27%) in JL-23.
- Anwar, F. and Przybylski, R. (2012). Effect of solvents extraction on total phenolics and antioxidant activity of extracts from flaxseed (Linum usitatissimum L.) Acta Sci. Pol., Technol. Aliment. 11:293-301.
- AOAC (2005). Official Methods of Analysis. 17th ed., Association of Analytical Chemists. Arlington, Virginia, USA.
- Arora, S. and Modgil, R. (2009). Carbohydrates, minerals, phytic acid contents and in vivo protein quality of different cultivars of linseed. J. Food. Sci. Technol. 43: 157-160.
- Bau, H.M.; Villaume, C.; Nicolas, J.P.; Mejean, L. (1997). Effect of germination on chemical composition, biochemical constituents and antinutritional factors of soya bean (Glycine max) seeds. J Food Sci Agric 73:1-9.
- Bhardwaj, H.L.; Hamama, A.A. (2009). Effect of cultivar and growing location on the mineral composition of canola sprouts. Hort Sci 44:508-511.
- Chikwendu, N.J. (2003). The effect of germination on the chemical composition and microbial quality of groundbean (Kerstingiella geocarpa) flours. Nig J Nutr Sci 24:17-22.
- Deng, G.F. Lin, X., Xu, X.R., Gao, L.L., Xie, J.F., Li, H.B. (2013). Antioxidants capacities and total phenolic contents of 56 vegetables. Functional Foods 5: 260-266
- El-maki, H.B; Babiker, E.E.; El-tinay, A.H. (1999). Changes in chemical composition, grain malting, starch and tannin contents and protein digestibility during germination of sorghum cultivars. Food Chem 64:331-336
- Gujral, H. S., Angurala, M., Sharma P. and Singh, J. (2011). Phenolic Content and Antioxidant Activity of Germinated and Cooked Pulses. Int J Food Prop. 14:1366-1374
- Haug, W.; Lantzsch, H.J. (1983). Sensitive method for the rapid determination of phytate in cereals and cereals products. J. Food Sci. Agric. 34:1423-1426.
- Hooda S, Jood S (2003). Effect of soaking and germination on nutrient and antinutrient contents of fenugreek (Trigonella Foenum Graecum L.) J Food Biochem 27:165-176
- Hussain S, Anjum FM, Butt MS, Sheikh MA (2008). Chemical compositions and functional properties of flaxseed flour. Sh J Agric 24:649-653.
- Kajla P, Sharma A, Sood DR (2014). Flaxseed- a potential functional food source. J Food Sci Technol 52:1857–1871
- Mandokhot VM, Singh N (1983). Studies on linseed (Linum usitatissimum) as a protein source: 2. Evidence of toxicity and treatment to improve quality. J Food Sci Technol 20:291-294.
- Moraghan JT (1993). Accumulation of cadmium and selected elements in flaxseed grown on a calcareous soil. Plant Soil 150:61-68.
- Narina SS, Hamama AA, Bhardwaj HL (2012). Nutritional and Mineral composition of flax sprouts. J Agric Sci 4: 60-66.
- Olagunju AI, Ifesan BOT (2013). Nutritional composition and acceptability of cookies made from wheat flour and germinated sesame (Sesamum indicum) Flour Blends. B J Appl Sci Technol 3:702-713.
- Sawhney, S.K. and Singh, R. (2000). Introductory Practical Biochemistry. Narosa Publishing House, New Delhi, India. Pp:92
- Selmar D, Lieberei R, Bichl B. (1988). Metabolization and utilization of cyanogenic glycosides. The linustatin pathway. Plant Physiol 86:711-716.
- Singh KK, Mridula D, Barnwal P, Rehal J (2011). Selected engineering and biochemical properties of 11 flaxseed varieties. Food Bioproc Technol DOI: 10.1007/s11947-011-0607-6.
- Singh RP, Singh V, Singh V. (1990). Effects of S, Mg and K on yield and uptake by linseed. J Indian Soc Soil Sci 38:169-170.
- Vidal-Valverdec FJ, and Sierra I (2002). New functional legume foods by germination: Effect on the nutritive value of beans, lentils and peas. Eur J Food Res Technol 215:472–477.
- Vinson, AJ, Su, XH, Zubik, L, Bose, P. (2001). Phenol antioxidant quantity and quality in foods: fruits. J Agric Food Chem 49: 5315-5321.
- Yu, LL, Haley, S, Perret, J, Harris, M, Wilson, J and Qian, M. (2002). Free radical Scavenging Properties of wheat extracts. J Agric Food Chem 50:1619-1624.
- Wanasundara PKJPD, Shahidi F, Brosnan ME (1999). Changes in flax (Linum usitatissmum) seed nitrogenous compounds during germination. Food Chem 65:289-295.
The Asian Journal of Dairy and Food Research (AJDFR) follows a disclaimer policy that outlines the responsibilities of the journal, authors, reviewers, and readers. The policy is designed to ensure that all published content is accurate and meets ethical standards, and to protect the journal from any legal liability.
The AJDFR does not guarantee the accuracy, completeness, or reliability of the content published in the journal. The opinions expressed in published articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the journal or its editorial board. The journal does not accept any responsibility for any errors or omissions in the content published in the journal.
Authors are responsible for ensuring that their work is original, accurate, and meets ethical standards. They are also responsible for obtaining permission to use copyrighted material and for providing appropriate attribution.
Reviewers are responsible for ensuring that the content of articles is accurate, original, and meets ethical standards. They are also responsible for maintaining confidentiality and disclosing any conflicts of interest.
Readers are responsible for evaluating the content of articles and for making their own judgments about the accuracy and reliability of the information presented. They are also responsible for complying with copyright laws and ethical standards when using the content of articles.
AJDFR is committed to ensuring that all published content meets ethical standards and that all parties involved in the publishing process understand their responsibilities. The disclaimer policy is designed to protect the journal from any legal liability and to ensure that readers can rely on the accuracy and reliability of the content published in the journal.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.