STANDARDIZATION AND SHELF LIFE STUDY OF KASHMIRI SAFFRON PHIRNI
Citation :- STANDARDIZATION AND SHELF LIFE STUDY OF KASHMIRI SAFFRON PHIRNI.Asian Journal Of Dairy and Food Research.2012.(31):91 - 94
The study was aimed at optimizing the basic formulation and processing conditions for the preparation of Kashmiri saffron phirni, popular milk-semolina desert of Jammu and Kashmir. Three levels of semolina viz. 5%, 7.5% and 10% were evaluated for various physicochemical, sensory and microbiological properties. The product was packaged in low density polyethylene pouches (LDPE) and analyzed at a regular interval of 0, 4 and 7 days during refrigerated storage at 4±10C. The level of sugar with respect to milk in the product was optimized as 10% w/w. All the proximate parameters of the product showed a non-significant (P>0.05) decreasing trend with increasing level of semolina. Overall acceptability was significantly (P
- Aneja, R. P., Mathur, B. N., Chandan, R. C. and Banerjee, A. K. (2002). Technology of Indian Milk Products. Dairy India Yearbook, New Delhi, India.
- AOAC (1995). Official Methods of Analysis. 16th edn. Association of Official Agricultural Chemists, Washington, DC.
- APHA (1984). In: Compendium of methods for the microbiological examination of foods (2nd edn.). Washington, DC: American Public Health Association.
- Bhat, Z. F., Pathak, V., Bukhari, S. A. A. and Ahmad S. R. (2010). Development of dietetic Kashmiri saffron phirni from reconstituted skim milk. Beverage and Food World 37(10): 81-83.
- Bryan, F. L., McNaught, K. and Bhehm, K. (1980). Influence of varying pH and alginic calcium binders on selected physical and sensory characteristics of structured beef. J. Food Sci. 53:1266.
- Jain, G. (2003). In: Studies on processing and evaluation of milk nuggets. http://books.google.co.in/books/about/ Studies_on_Processing_and_Evaluation_of.html?id=HdD1ZwEACAAJ&redir_esc=y.
- Kumar, S., Bhat, Z. F. and Kumar, P (2011). Effect of Apple Pulp and Celosia argentea on the Quality Characteristics of Shrikhand. American Journal of Food Technology 6(9):817-826.
- O’keeffe, R. B., Fox, P. F. and Daly, C. (1976). Contribution of rennet and starter proteases to proteolysis in cheddar cheese. J. Dairy Res. 43: 97.
- Pal, M. A., Yadav, P. L. and Sanyal, M. K. (1993). Effect of paraffining on the physico-chemical, microbiological and sensory characteristics of low fat paneer at low temperature storage. Indian J. Dairy Sci. 46: 519-524.
- Snedecor, G. W. and Cochran, W. H. (1980). Statistical Methods. 13th edn. Oxford and IBH Publishing Co., Calcutta.
- Witte, V. C., Krause, G. F. and Bailey, M. E. (1970). A new extraction method for determining 2-thiobarbituric acid value of pork and beef during storage. J. Food Sci. 35: 582-585.