STUDIES ON SELECTED PHYSICO-CHEMICAL PROPERTIES OF PUMPKIN
Citation :- STUDIES ON SELECTED PHYSICO-CHEMICAL PROPERTIES OF PUMPKIN.Asian Journal Of Dairy and Food Research.2013.(32):126-129
Selected physical properties of pumpkin fruit pulp, peel and seed content were evaluated. A large variation was found in the mass of pumpkin due to the irregular size and shape. Pumpkin fruit having more fruit mass and pulp content had very high edible index and low waste index. Pumpkin pulp had very high moisture content of 95.06 % (wb). Carbohydrate and crude fibre were found to be moderately high in pumpkin pulp. The micronutrient in the pumpkin pulp such as carotene (3 mg /100 g) was found to be very high while vitamin C and minerals such as Ca, P, Fe and K were also present in considerable amounts.
- AOAC. (1990). Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Official Methods of Analysis. 14th Edn., Washington D.C.
- CSIR. (1950). Wealth of India – Raw materials, Vol. II CSIR, New Delhi: 186 & 393-395
- Dutta, D., Chaudhary, U. and Chakraborty, R. (2005). Structure, health benefits, antioxidant property, processing and storage of carotenoids. J. African Biotechnology, 4(13): 1510-1520.
- ICAR. (1992). Handbook of Agriculture. Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi: 401-402.
- Jackson, M.L. (1973). Soil Chemical Analysis, Prentice-Hall of India Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi: 151-152, 389-391.
- Jensen, A. (1978). Chlorophylls and carotenoids. In: Handbook of Phytological methods. Cambridge Univ. Press, London: 59-70.
- Lee, C. H.; Cho, J. K.; Lee, S. J.; Koh, W.; Park, W. and Kim, C. H. (2002). Enhancing â-carotene content in Asian noodles by adding pumpkin powder. Cereal Chemistry, 79 (4): 593-595.
- Pandey, S.; Singh, J.; Upadhyay, A.K. and Rai, M. 2003. Ascorbates and carotenoid content in Indian collection of pumpkin (C. moschata). Cucurbit Genetics Cooperative Report, 26:51-53.
- Park, Y. K.; Kang, V. H.; Lee, B. H. and Seog, H. M. (1997). Changes of carotenoids of pumpkin powder during storage. J. of Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition, 26 (1): 32-36.
- Pawar, V. D.; Patil, D. A.; Khedkar, D. M. and Ingle, U. M. (1985). Studies on drying and dehydration of pumpkin. Indian Food Packer, July-August: 58-66.
- Ranganna, S. (1986). Handbook of analysis and quality control for fruit and vegetable products. Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Company Ltd., New Delhi : 25-26, 105-106, 123-124, 689-694, 976-978.
- Snedecor, G. W. and Cochran, W. G. (1967). Statistical Methods. 6th edn. Oxford and IBH Publishing Co., Calcutta.
- Teotia, M. S. (1992). Advances in chemistry and technology of pumpkin. Indian Food Packer, 46(1): 9-31.
- Wu, Z. R.; Tong M. J.; Wu, J. R. and Jin, T. M.(1998). Determination of â-carotene in different pumpkin varieties by HPLC. Acta Agri. Boreoli Sinica, 13: 141-144.