FUNCTIONAL AND NUTRITIONAL CHARACTERISTICS OF RAGI-WHEAT COMPOSITE FLOUR AND ITS USE IN BREAD MAKING
Citation :- FUNCTIONAL AND NUTRITIONAL CHARACTERISTICS OF RAGI-WHEAT COMPOSITE FLOUR AND ITS USE IN BREAD MAKING.Asian Journal Of Dairy and Food Research.2013.(32):120-125
Germinated and non-germinated ragi flour was supplemented in wheat flour for preparation of bread. Gluten content and sedimentation value of composite flour were significantly decreased, whereas water absorption capacity was significantly increased on increasing the level of supplementation i.e 5, 10, 15 and 20 %. Breads were prepared using composite flour and wheat flour (control) and these were evaluated for physical, sensory and nutritional characteristics. Control bread had 520 ml loaf volume and 165 g loaf weight. Loaf volume was significantly decreased and loaf weight was significantly increased in breads prepared from composite flour. The sensory scores of bread supplemented up to 10 % level of germinated and non-germinated ragi flour were found acceptable and was not significantly different from control bread. Supplemented bread contained significantly higher contents of protein and dietary fibre contents.
- AACC. (2000). Approved Methods of Analysis, The American Association of Cereal Chemists, St. Paul, MN. USA.
- AOAC. (2000). Official Methods of Analysis of Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Washington, D.C.
- Desai, D.A., et al. (2010). Adv. J. Food. Sci. Tech. 2(1): 67-71.
- Dhingra, S. and Jood, S. (2004). Int. J. Food Sci. Tech. 39 : 213-222.
- Duodu, K.G., et al. (2003). J. Cereal Sci. 38: 117-131.
- Furda, I. (1981). The Analysis of Dietary Fibre in Food. Marcel Dekker, New York. pp. 163-172.
- Gopalan, C., et al. (2004). Nutritive value of Indian foods. Indian council of Medical Research National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad: 8-94.
- Irvine, G.N. and McMullan, M.E. (1960). Cereal Chem. 37: 603-613.
- Kumari, S. and Srivastava, S. (2000). J. Food. Sci. Tech. 37(4): 419-422.
- Mepba, D., et al. (2007). Afri. J. Food Agric. Nutri. 7: 1-22.
- Mishra, B.K., et al. (1998). Protocol for evaluation of wheat quality. Directorate of Wheat Research, Karnal. pp. 1-60.
- Panse, Y.G. and Sukhatme, P.V. (1961). Statistical methods of agricultural workers. 2nd Edn. Indian Counsil of Agricultural Research, New Delhi. pp. 12-87.
- Probu, M.J. (2006). New finger millet varieties resistant of fungal attacks. The Hindu, Thursday, April. pp.18.
- Singh, P., et al. (2005). Bev. Food World. pp. 28-31.
- Wadikar, D.D., et al. (2006). J. Food Sci. Tech. 43(4): 370-373.