MOISTURE SORPTION HYSTERESIS IN SANDESH AT 20OC
Citation :- MOISTURE SORPTION HYSTERESIS IN SANDESH AT 20OC.Asian Journal Of Dairy and Food Research.2014.(33):179-182
Moisture sorption hysteresis in sandesh was investigated at 20 oC to understand the nature of the sorption process. The equilibrium moisture content rose gradually at lower water activities (0.12-0.44) followed by steep rise at higher water activities. In the hysteresis loop an adsorption and desorption isotherm curves were distinctly apart from each other and the hysteresis effect was observed in the entire range of water activities. The effect of temperature was more pronounced on desorption isotherm than an adsorption isotherm. The total hysteresis in sandesh was 5.12 units. The total hysteresis energy was calculated as 7.69 KJ/Kg of water and the hysteresis energy observed decreased as moisture content increased. Satisfactory correlation was obtained between the hysteresis energy and the moisture content in sandesh. Properties of sorbed water viz., number of adsorbed monolayer, percent bound water and surface area of adsorption were estimated.
- AOAC. (2005). Official Methods of Analysis of AOAC International. (18th Edn), AOAC International suite 500, 481 North Frederic Avenue Gaithersburg, Maryland 20877-2417,USA: William, H. & George, W. L.
- Brunauer, S., Deming, L.S., Deming, W.E., and Teller, E. (1940). On a theory of the Van der Walls adsorption of gases. Journal of American Chemical Society. 62: 1723-1732
- Caurie, M. (2007). Hysteresis phenomenon in foods. International Journal of Food Science & Technology. 42: 45-49
- ISI SP:18 (Part XI). (1981). Handbook of Food Analysis Part XI Dairy Products. Bureau of Indian Standards, Manak Bhavan,9 Badurshah Zafar Marg, New Delhi
- Kapsalis, J.G. (1981). Moisture sorption hysteresis. In water activity: Influences on Food Quality. Eds. Rockland L.B. and Stewart, G.F. Academic Press New York. 143-177
- Rahman, M.S., and Labuza., T.P. (2006). Water activity and food preservation. (Eds. Rahman., M.S.) Marcel Dekker,Inc. New York 339-382
- Sawhney, I. K.,Bikram Kumar, Agrawala, S. P., and Patel, A. A. (2000). Evaluation of moisture sorption hysteresis in khoa. Indian of Dairy Science. 53(3): 184-189
- Singh, G. N., Murthy, P.R.S., Reddy, K.Y. and Reddy, V.P.N. 2006.Optimization of ingredients for the production of milk sweetmeat sandesh. Indian. Journal of Dairy Science, 59:359-362
- Varghese, S.K., Nair, S.V. and Mishra, H.N. (2008). Moisture sorption characteristics of curd (Indian yogurt) powder. International Journal of Dairy Technology, 62(1): 85-92
- Wolf, M., Walker, J.E. and Kapsalis, J.G. (1972). Water vapor sorption hysteresis in dehydrated food. Journal of Agr. Food Chem. 20(5):1073-1077
- Wolf, W., Spiess, W.E.L. and Jung, G. (1985). Standardization of isotherm measurements (COST-Project-90 and 90 BIS). In properties of water in foods (pp. 661-677), Simato, D. and Multon J.L. (Eds.), Martinus Nijhoff Publishers Dordrecht Netherlands.