STUDIES ON THE EFFECT OF DRYING METHODS AND PACKAGING ON QUALITY AND SHELF LIFE OF DRIED WILD POMEGRANATE ARILS
Citation :- STUDIES ON THE EFFECT OF DRYING METHODS AND PACKAGING ON QUALITY AND SHELF LIFE OF DRIED WILD POMEGRANATE ARILS.Asian Journal Of Dairy and Food Research.2014.(33):18-24
Wild pomegranate (Punica granatum L) is an important wild fruit of economic importance. Pretreated arils were dried in different drying modes like mechanical cabinet drier (62+2oC), solar cabinet drier (50-55oC) and open sun (18-24oC). Mechanical cabinet drier was found to be most suitable on the basis of faster drying rate, physico-chemical and sensory characteristics. The mechanical cabinet dried arils were packed in aluminum laminate pouch (99.8 gsm), polyethylene pouches (93.9gsm), thermofoam trays (wrapped with polypropylene transparent sheet) each of 100g capacity and stored at ambient (15-25oC) and refrigerated conditions (4-7oC) for a period of six months. Aluminum laminate pouch was found to be most suitable packaging material.
Aluminium laminate pouch
Mechani calcabinet drier
Solar cabinet drier
- Aruna, K, Dhanalakshmi, K. and Vimala, V. (1998). Development and storage stability of cereal based papaya powder. J. Food Sci. Technol.,35(3): 250-254.
- Bhardwaj, J.C. and Lal, B.B. (1990). A study on drying behaviour of rings from different apple cultivars of Himachal Pradesh. J. Food Sci. Technol., 27(3): 144-149.
- Chandel, S.S., Gupta, D., Khosla, P.K., Kishore, V.V.N. and Bansal, N.K. (1989). Solar drying of Punica granatum L. seeds. In: Renewable energy for rural development, Proceedings of the national solar energy convention, Hyderabad, India, 1-3 December 1988, pp. 415-419.
- Cilliers, J.L. and Singleton, V.L. (1989). Non-enzymatic auto oxidative phenolic browning reactions in a caffeic acid model system. Agri and Food Chemi,37: 890-896.
- Clegg, R. M. and Mortar, A. D. (1965). Carbonyl compounds and non-enzymatic browning of lemon juice. Sci Food and Agri,16:191.
- Cochran, W.G. and Cox, C.M. (1967). Experimental Design, John Wiley and Sons, New York, pp. 171-217.
- Dabhade, R.S. and Khedkar, D.M. (1980). Studies on drying and dehydration of raw mangoes for preparation of mango powder (Amchur), Part IV-VI. Indian Food Packer,34(3): 35-54.
- Desrosier, N.W.andDesrosier, J.N. (1982). The technology of food preservation AVI,Westport Connecticut, 558p.
- Dinsmore, H.L and Nagy, S. (1974). Improved colorimetric determination of furfural in citrus juices. Journal of Association of Official Analytical Chemists,57: 332-335.
- Khurdiya, D.S. and Roy, S.K. (1974). Studies on guava powder by cabinet drying. Indian Food Packer,28(10): 5-8.
- Mahajan, B.V.C., Chopra, S.K. and Sharma, R.C. (1992). Processing of wild pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) for anardana: effect of thermal treatments and drying modes on quality. J. Food Sci. Technol.,29(5): 327-328.
- Mahony, M.O. (1985). Sensory evaluation of food: statistical methods and procedures. Marcel Dekker, New York. pp.168-169.
- Parmar, C.and Kaushal, M.K. (1982). Wild fruits of sub-Himalyan region, Kalyani Publishers, New Delhi, 74p.
- Phadnis, N.A. (1974). Pomegranate for dessert and juice. Indian Horticulture,19: 9-13.
- Pruthi, J.S. and Saxena, A.K. (1984). Studies on anardana (dried pomegranate seeds). J Food Sci Technol,21(5): 296-299.
- Ramastri, B.V. (1974). Effect of storage on vitamin C content of dehydrated amla (Emblica officinalis) powder. Indian Nutrition and Diet,11(3): 134-136.
- Ranganna, S. (2007). Handbook of analysis and quality control for fruit and vegetable products, Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi, 1112p.
- Rommel, A., Heartherbell, D.A. and Wrolstad, R.E. (1990). Red raspberry juice and wine: effect of processing and storage on anthocyanin pigment, composition, colour and appearance. Food Sci,55(4): 1011-1017.
- Sagar, V.S. and Khurdiya, D.S. (1999). Studies on dehydration of Dashehari mango slices. Indian Food Packer,53(1): 5-9.
- Siddiqii, M. and Cash, J.N. (2000). Physico-chemical properties of polyphenoloxidase from ‘d’ Anjou and Bartlett pear. Food Process and Preservation,20(3): 353-364.
- Singleton,V.L. and Rossi, J.A.(1965). Colorimetry of total phenolics with phosphomolybedic phosphotungstic acid reagents. American of Enology and Viticulture,16: 144-158.
- Thakur, N.S., Bhat, M.M., Rana, N. and Joshi, V.K. (2010). Standardization of pre-treatments for the preparation of dried arils from wild pomegranate.J. Food Sci. Technol.,47(6):620–625.
- Withy, L.M, Nguyen, T.T., Wrolsted, R.E. and Heatherbel, D.A. (1993). Storage changes in anthocyanin content of red raspberry juice concentrate. Food Sci,58: 190-192.