UTILIZATION OF ASHWAGANDHA (WITHANIA SOMNIFERA) FOR DEVELOPMENT OF VALUE ADDED PRODUCTS
Citation :- UTILIZATION OF ASHWAGANDHA (WITHANIA SOMNIFERA) FOR DEVELOPMENT OF VALUE ADDED PRODUCTS.Asian Journal Of Dairy and Food Research.2014.(33):221-225
Three types of value added products viz. ashwagandha sweet n salty biscuit, ashwagandha churan ball, and ashwagandha beverage were prepared by the incorporation of ashwagandha root powder, ashwagandha leaf powder and ashwagandha root+leaf powder. Ashwagandha biscuit was ranked higher in acceptability than ashwagandha churan ball and the beverage was liked the least. The products prepared by the incorporation of ashwagandha leaf powder and ashwagandha root+leaf powder were not acceptable in comparison to the products prepared by the incorporation of Ashwagandha root powder. This might be due to the bitterness of leaves. The changes in the sensory attributes of the products differed slightly during 30 storage period.
- Acharya, D. and Shrivastava A. (2008). Indigenous Herbal Medicines. In: Tribal Formulations and Traditional Herbal Practices. Aavishkar Publishers Distributor, Jaipur, India. Pp 440.
- Elsakka, M. et al. (1989). Withania somnifera, a plant with a great therapeutical future. Rev. Med. Chir. Soc. Med. Nat. Iasi. 93(2): 349/ 50.
- Ichikawa, H. et al. (2006). Molecular Cancer Therapeutics. 5(6): 1434/ 45.
- Mishra L.C. et al. (2000). Altern. Med. Rev. 5(4): 334-46.
- Nagareddy, P.R. and Lakshmana, M. (2006). J. Pharm. Pharmacol. 58(4): 513/ 9.
- Visavadiya, N.P. and Narasimhacharya, A.V. (2007). Phytomedicine. 14(2/ 3): 136/ 42.