Frequency of food consumption and physical activity of Non Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus males of Ludhiana city
Citation :- Frequency of food consumption and physical activity of Non Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus males of Ludhiana city.Asian Journal Of Dairy and Food Research.2014.(33):226-229
The present study was conducted on non insulin dependent diabetes mellitus male subjects of 40-60 years of age to asses their nutritional profile. Subjects were selected purposively from Ludhiana. The information regarding general information, dietary preferences and physical activity pattern was recorded. It was observed that majority of the subjects were sedentary workers of middle income group. Majority of the subjects suffered from diabetes for 7years with mean age of onset of diabetes 45.06 yrs. Further, frequency of consumption of different food showed a higher intake of fried foods, unrefined cereals and pulses, milk and milk products. Majority (83.33 %) of the subjects were doing physical exercise and time spent on physical activity was more than 30 minutes.
Non insulin dependent diabetes mellitus
- Amrithaveni and Thirumanidevi (2004) Effect of supplementation of fenugreek seeds for non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus patients. Indian Journal of Nutrition and Dietetics 41:139-45.
- Anonymous(2008) Punjab at a glance (http://punjabgovt.nic.in)
- Banerjee J (1998) Health Tribune, pp. 37, 28th July.
- Banga K (2005) Effect of chromium supplementation and nutrition counseling in male diabetic subjects. Ph.D Thesis, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, India.
- Dineshkumar B, Bhuvaneshwaran S P, Vigneshkumar P,Mitra A and Mahadevappa M (2010) A brief description of diabetes in India. Journal of Pharmacy Research 3(8):1719-23.
- Gupta R, Bajpai K G, John S and Saxena A M ( 2008) An overview of Indian novel traditional medicinal plants with antidiabetic potentials. African Journal of Traditional, Complementary and Alternative Medicine 5(1):1-17.
- IDF(2008) Diabetes Atlas 3.(http://www.eatlas.idf.org)
- Kang R K(2005) Development of an indigenous fibre rich therapeutic premix and its effect on diabetics. M.Sc. Thesis, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, India.
- Kapoor A (2001 Effect of bittergourd, jambu and fenugreek on blood glucose and serum lipids in Non Insulin Dependent Diabetics. Ph.D. dissertation. Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana,India.
- Kaur K( 2006) Effect of spirulina supplementation on nutritional profile of non–insulin dependent diabetic males. M.Sc. Thesis, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, India.
- Ramachandran A, Dharamray D, Snehalatha C and Viswanathan M(1992) Prevalence of glucose intolerance in asian Indian –urban rural difference and significance of upper body disposing factors. Diabetes Care 15 : 1348-55.
- Ramachandran A, Snehalatha C and Satyavani K ( 2003) Impaired fasting glucose and impaired glucose tolerance in urban population in India. Diabetic Medicine 20 : 130-35.
- Ramachandran A, Snehalatha C and Vijay V( 2002) Impact pf poverty on the prevalence of diabetes and its complications in Urban Southern India. Diabetic Medicine 19:130-35.