EFFECT OF SOURCE AND COAGULANTS ON THE PHYSICOCHEMICAL AND ORGANOLEPTIC EVALUATION OF SOY TOFU
Citation :- EFFECT OF SOURCE AND COAGULANTS ON THE PHYSICOCHEMICAL AND ORGANOLEPTIC EVALUATION OF SOY TOFU.Asian Journal Of Dairy and Food Research.2007.(26):69-74
The study aimed at evaluating the effect of different milk coagulants on the chemical and organoleptic characteristics of tofu prepared from different soy sources viz. soy dhal, soy flour and germinated soybean. The crude protein and fat content of tofus varied from 44.65 to 57.73 per cent and 20.79 to 32.35 per cent among different tofu respectively. The tofus made from soy dhal and precipitated with calcium sulphate contained significantly higher contents of protein and fat followed by tofu prepared from germinated soybean and soy flour precipitated with calcium sulphate. The tofu obtained from different forms of soybean using citrus juice as a coagulant contained lower protein and fat than the tofu obtained from different sources and using calcium sulphate as a coagulant. The ash content of tofu recovered by using calcium sulphate as a coagulant was higher than that of the tofu prepared by using citrus juice. The total carbohydrates of the tofu obtained from soy flour were higher than thaof tofu prepared by soy dhal and germinated soybean respectively, irrespective of the coagulant used. The tofu precipitated with citrus juice contained higher content of NDF, ADF and available carbohydrates than calcium sulphate for each source of tofu, but the contents of these nutrients were the highest in tofu obtained from soy flour.
- Ahmad, S. and Pathak, D.K. (2000). Food Sci Technol 37: 665-666.
- AOAC. (1990). Official Methods of Analysis, Association of Official Analytical Chemist. 15th edition, Washington, D.C.
- Arora, S. and Mital, B.K. (1991). Food Sci Technol 28: 15-17.
- Bhatnagar, S.P. (2002). The Soybean Processors Association of India (SOPA). Proceedings of Soybean for Health and Nutrition Security in India.
- Gomez,K.A. and Gomez, A.A. (1984). Statistical Procedures for Agricultural Research. John Willey and Sons,New York.
- Grover, M. and Tyagi, S.M. (1989). Food Sci Technol 26: 194-197
- Larmond, E. (1977). Laboratory Methods for Sensory Evaluation of Foods. Research Branch, Canada Department of Agriculture, Ottawa, Publication 1637.
- Lim, et. al. (1990). Jo Food Sci 55: 1088-1092.
- Nsofor, L.M. and Ugwa, I.S. (1999). Food Sci Technol 36: 325-328.
- Smith, et. al. (1960). Food Technol 332-336.
- Van Soest, P.J. (1963). Assoc Official Analy Chem 46: 829-835.
- Wang, et. al. (1983). Cereal Chemistry 60:245