MODIFIED ATMOSPHERE PACKAGING AND STORAGE OF MUSHROOMS
Citation :- MODIFIED ATMOSPHERE PACKAGING AND STORAGE OF MUSHROOMS.Asian Journal Of Dairy and Food Research.2013.(32):108-114
Mushrooms were packed in different polymeric films viz PP, LDPE and Shrink films with three different treatments viz film with perforations, film without perforations and with & without CO2 flushing under room temperature and refrigerated conditions. The physiological loss in weight and decay increased with storage time irrespective of treatments and temperature. Overall darkening of colour was observed during storage. The treatment with no perforations & without CO2 flushing under room temperature and refrigerated conditions was found to be the best. Average hardness and fracturability decreased with the increase in size of mushroom and period of storage. The LDPE film under room temperature conditions and PP film under refrigerated conditions was found best. The medium size (34.62 mm head dia) white button mushrooms can be stored in LDPE film for 2 days at room temperature. The same mushroom can be stored in PP film under refrigerated conditions for 5 days.
- Ahlawat, O.P., Rai, R.D. and Verma, R.N. (1998) Influence of spray and washing treatment with EDTA and sodium citrate on quality and shelf-life of white button mushroom, Agaricus bisporus. Mushroom Research 7: 71-76
- Amanatidou, A., Slump, R.A., Gorris, L.G.M. and Smid E.J. (2000) High oxygen and high carbon dioxide modified atmospheres for shelf-life extension of minimally processed carrots. J Food Sci 65: 61-66.
- Anonymous (1996) Future mushrooms. Indian Food Packer. 50:66.
- Anonymous (1996). Produce Facts. In: Perishables Handling Newsletter, University of California, Davis 88: 15-16
- Bano, Z., Rajarathnam ,S. and Shashirekha, M.N. (1992) Mushroom – unconventional single cell protein for conventional consumption. Indian Food Packer. 46:23-31.
- Chadha, K.L. (1994) Mushroom scenario in India. Mushroom Research 3:1-4.
- Gnanasekheran, V, Shewfelt, RL and Chinan, MS (1992) Detection of color changes in green vegetables. J Fd Sci ,57: 149-54
- Golomb, A., Ben-Yehoshua, S. Saraig, Y. (1984) Hhigh density polyethylene wraps enhances wound healing and lengthen shelflife of grape fruits, J Am Soc Hort Sci, 109: 155-159
- Gormley, T.R.. and MacCanna, C. (1967) Prepackaging and shelf-life of mushrooms. Irish J. Agaric. Res 6:255-265
- Kerbel, E. L , Kader, A. A, Zagory, D. (1989) Modified atmosphere packaging of fruits and vegetables. Critical Reviews in Food Science and nutrition 28:1-30.
- Khanna, P.K. (2007) Mushroom Cultivation Catches Up. The Tribune 13, November 2007 pp 3
- Lazan, H., Ali, Z.M., Lee, K.W., Voon, J. and Chaplin, G.R. (1986) The potential role of polygalacturonase in pectin degradation and softening of mango fruits. ASEAN Food J 2: 93-98
- Mahajan, B.V.C., Dhatt, A. S., Kumar, Satish and Manohar, L. (2006) Effect of prestorage treatments and packaging on the storage behaviour and quality of kinnow mandarin, J Food Sci and Technol, 43(6): 589-593.
- Mitcham, E.J. and MacDonald, R.E. (1992) Cell wall modification during ripening of keitt and tommy Atkins mango fruits. J Am Soc Hort Sci 117: 919-924
- Paul, Shashi, Bhatia, Surekha and Arora, Maninder (2008) Post harvest management of mushroom and french bean. All India ICAR coordinated Research Project on post harvest technology, PAU Ludhiana pp 87-98.
- Pirovani, M.E., Guemes, D.R., Piagentini, A.M. and Pentima, J.H.D. (1997) Storage quality of minimally processed cabbage packaged in plastic films. J Food Qual 20: 381-389
- Rai, D.R., Saito, M. and Masuda, R. (2000) Effect of modified atmosphere (MA) packaging on gluthione content and some other qualitative parameters of hiratake mushroom. J Japan Soc Hort Sci 69: 435-439
- Reddy, L.S. and Raju, K.R.T. (1988) Effects of pre-packaging and post harvest treatments on the storage behavior of mango fruits cv. Alphonso. Acta Hort 231: 670-74.
- Roe, E. and Bruemmer, J.M.. (1981) Changes in pectic substances and enzymes during ripening and storage of Atkins mango. J Food Sci 46: 186-189
- Roy, S.., Anantheswaran,, R.C.., and Beelman, R.B. (1995a) Fresh mushroom quality as affected by modified atmosphere packaging. J. Food Sci 60: 334-340.
- Roy, S.., Anantheswaran, R.C., and Beelman, R.B.(1995b) Effect of moisture absorber on shelf-life of mushrooms stored at 12 0C in conventional packages. J Food Sci. 60: 1254-1259.
- Sahni, C.K. and Khurdiya, D.S. (1989) Physico-chemical changes during ripening in Dashehari, Chausa, Neelum and Amrapali mango. Indian Food Packer 5: 5-10.
- Sharma, S.R. (2002) Scope of speciality mushrooms in India In: Rai RD, Dhar BL and Verma RN (Eds.). Advances in Mushroom Biology and Production. Nirmal Vijay Printers, New Delhi, India, pp 193-203
- Shear, C.B.. (1975) Calcium related disorders of fruits and Vegetables. Hort Sci 10: 361-365
- Singh, B.K. and Singh, T.P. (1992) Effect of certain post-harvest treatments on the storage life and quality of mango cv. Zardalu. Indian Food Packer 6: 57-63.