CHARACTERIZATION OF CASEINOPHOSPHOPEPTIDES (CPPS) PRODUCED FROM A AND B-CASEIN FRACTIONS USING YOGHURT CULTURES
Citation :- CHARACTERIZATION OF CASEINOPHOSPHOPEPTIDES (CPPS) PRODUCED FROM A AND B-CASEIN FRACTIONS USING YOGHURT CULTURES.Asian Journal Of Dairy and Food Research.2013.(32):91-95
The a-sand b-casein fractions were fractionated from whole casein obtained from cow milk. 10% dispersions of aand bcasein were fermented using purified 1% Streptococcus thermophilus (ST) & Lactobacillus bulgaricus (LB) cultures separately. Conditions were optimized by varying lactose concentration. (2,3 &4%) and incubation time (12-48h). Caseinophosphopeptides were isolated by adjusting pH at 4.6, in presence of ethanol and 1% CaCl2. CPPs from acasein fermented with LB showed higher yield (8% at 12h), mineral binding (0.45mg/mg of CPPs) and solubilizing ability (12.2mg/mg of CPPs) compared to other types indicating more hydrophilic peptides which was confirmed by RP-HPLC analysis. SDS-PAGE of the CPPs revealed molecular weight ranging between 3000-6500Da. The study concluded that LB has higher proteolytic activity than ST and may be used in the cost effective production of CPPs.
- AOAC, (1960) Official methods of analysis, 11th Edn. Washington D C Vogel A I, (1961) Quantitative inorganic analysis, 3rd Edn. UASL pub. Co., pp, 346-438.
- Adamson Reynolds, Adamson N J & Reynolds E C (1997) J. Dairy Res., 64, 505-514.
- Baumy J J, Guenot P, Sinbandhit S and Brule G, (1989) J. Dairy Res., 56, 403-409.
- Chandni Chandran, (2004) Isolation and characterization of Casein phosphopeptides (CPPs) from fermented milk, M.Sc. thesis, UAS, Bangalore
- Fiske C H and Subarow, (1925) J. of Biol. Chem. 66, 375-382.
- Gagnaire V, Pierre A, Molle D and Leonil J, (1996) J. Dairy Res., 63, 405-422.
- Juillerat M A, Baechler R, Berrocal R, Chanton S, Scherz J C & Jost R, (1989) J. Dairy Res., 56, 603-611.
- Laemmli U K, (1976) Nature, 227, 680-685.
- Mc Donagh D and Fitz Gerald R.J, (1998) Int. Dairy J, 8, 39-45.
- Meisel H and Frister H, (1989) J. Dairy Res., 56, 343-349.
- Swaisgood H.E (1992) in Advanced Dairy Chemistry (P.F. Fox ed.,), Vol. 1, pp, 63-110, Elsevier Appl. Sci., New York
- Hipp N.J, Groves M.L, Curter J.M, and MaMeekin, T L, (1952) J. Dairy Sci., 35, 272-279 Fitz Gerald R.J, (1998) Int. Dairy J., 8, 451-457.
- Sato R, Shindo M, Gunshin H, Noguchi T and Naito H, (1991) Biochemica et Biophysica Acta, 1077, 413-441.
- Stefanitgi D and Garel J R, (1997) in Applied Microbiology 24, 180-184.