BIOAVAILABILITY OF LYCOPENE FROM TOMATO
Citation :- BIOAVAILABILITY OF LYCOPENE FROM TOMATO.Asian Journal Of Dairy and Food Research.2009.(28):215-219
A bioassay study was conducted to examine the bioavailability of lycopene in serum of the
adult albino rats fed control diet and experimental diets containing four and five per cent MUFA,
PUFA and Saturated Fat along with lycopene.The study was carried out for a period of twenty
eight days and bioavailability of lycopene was assessed by HPLC method. The results revealed
that the control group had no lycopene levels in blood serum while the experimental group V fed
with 5 per cent MUFA had the highest lycopene level (0.74 n mol/L) followed by 5 per cent PUFA
(0.72 n mol/L), 4 per cent MUFA (0.71 n mol/L), 4 per cent PUFA (0.70 n mol/L) and 4 per cent
saturated fat (0.69 n mol/L) and least in 5 per cent saturated fat (0.65 n mol/L). However from
the histopathological findings and the lipid profile results it was concluded that 4 per cent of the
lipids which is the ideal requirement for the rats would be sufficient for lycopene absorption with
no adverse effects on the body organs.
- Groot, P.H., J. Lipid Res., 29:541-551.
- James Karho Edijala, (2005) Pakistan J. Nutr., 4(4):245-249.
- Raghuramulu, N. et al. (1996) A Manual of Laboratory Techniques, NIN, ICMR Publications, Hyderabad.
- Shakelford, (2002) Effect of Dietary Lycopene Concentrations in Fisher 344 Male Weanling Rats, Annual Meeting andFood Expo-Anheim, California.
- Shi, J., Maguer, L.M., (2000) Crit. Rev. Food Sci. Nut., 40:1-42.
- Tzouganaki, Z.D. et al. (2002) Analytica chimioca Acta 467:115-123.
- Yakoob, P., (1995) Int. J. Biochem Cell Biol. 27:297-310.