PERFORMANCE EVALUATION OF BIFIDOBACTERIUM LONGUM F8 IN MILK GROWN ON SOLID STATE FERMENTATION (SSF) MEDIUM
Citation :- PERFORMANCE EVALUATION OF BIFIDOBACTERIUM LONGUM F8 IN MILK GROWN ON SOLID STATE FERMENTATION (SSF) MEDIUM.Asian Journal Of Dairy and Food Research.2009.(28):194-197
To overcome the problems associated with liquid culture techniques for the production of
cell concentrates, an SSF technique using inert substrate such as paddy husk with various additives
were attempted to standardize the SSF medium. The standardized SSF medium was used to
produce cell concentrate of starter cultures using Bifidobacterium longum F8. The results showed
that viable counts of 10.85 log10 cfu/g of B.longum F8 could be achieved when medium was
standardized with various growth promoting nutrients with the incubation conditions. The
cultures which were grown on the SSF medium were preserved by air drying which was resulted
in a reduction of cells up to one log cells per gram and retained minimum viability on storage at
300 C. The dried SSF cultures were evaluated for their performance in milk. The results of
viable count, curdling time, acidity shown that the results were comparable with the
control (liquid culture).
Solid state fermentation
SSF cultured medium
- Akpapuram, M.E. et al. (1990). Biotechnol. Tech., 4:391-396.
- Harrigan, W.F. and MeCance, M.E. (1988). Laboratory Methods in Food and Dairy Microbiology.
- Academic Press. London.
- Julio C.V. et al. ( 2008). Appl Bioche Biotech., 147:67-75.
- Lopez, O.P. et al. (1988). Food Biotechnology Review: Traditional Solid State Fermentation of plant Raw Materials – application, nutritional significance and future prospects. CRC Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 27:159.
- Nagel, F.J.J.I. et al. (2001). Biotechnol. and Bioengineering 72:219-230.
- Prabha, R. (1999). Ph.D Thesis, Dept. of Dairy Microbiology, UAS, Bangalore, India.
- Runlinhan,C. et al. (2008). Asian J Sci Res., 1(4):385-393.
- Theodoros, H. (2007). Int. J. Food Sci & Tech., 43:1159-1168.
- Vanisri, S. (1995). M.Sc Thesis, Dept. of Dairy Microbiology, UAS, Bangalore