DEVELOPMENT OF TECHNOLOGY FOR PREPARATION OF FIG (FICUS CARICA L.) FRUIT POWDER AND ITS UTILIZATION IN TOFFEE
Citation :- DEVELOPMENT OF TECHNOLOGY FOR PREPARATION OF FIG (FICUS CARICA L.) FRUIT POWDER AND ITS UTILIZATION IN TOFFEE.Asian Journal of Dairy and Food Research.2011.(30):267 - 270
Short postharvest life and increased production necessitates development of non-conventional products from fresh fig (Ficus carica L.) fruits. Fig fruits of Dinkar variety were dried in the form of small shreds in a Cabinet drier at 60+50C for 20-24 hr. Finally, powder was obtained by grinding of dried shreds in a grinder. In contrast to fig pulp and dried figs, the fig powder was found to be superior in terms of yield, ease of processing technology and utilization of damaged fruits. Fig powder is easier to handle during transportation, storage and also opens further fields of application. The products prepared by processing of figs viz. fig powder and fig toffee were assessed for their physico-chemical and sensory parameters.
- Amerine, M.A., Pangborn, R.M. and Rossler, E.B. (1965). Principles of sensory evaluation of food. Academic Press Inc., New York.
- Anonymous (2002). Survey of Fruits. Directorate of Horticulture, M. S. Pune.
- Anonymous (2010). Annual report, Department of Agric., Maharashtra Mumbai.
- A.O.A.C. (1990). Official Methods of Analysis. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington D.C.
- Panse, V.S. and Sukhatme, P.V. (1967). Statistical Methods for Agricultural Workers. Indian Council of Agril. Res., New Delhi. 70-72.
- Piga, A., D’Aquino, S., Agabbio, M. and Pappoff, C. (1995). Influenza del confezionamento con film plastici sulla conservazione del fico. Italus Hortus, 2, 3-7.
- Ranganna, S. (1995). Handbook of Analysis and Quality Control for Fruit and Vegetable Products. Second Edition. Tata Mc. Graw Hill Pub. Co. Ltd., New Delhi.
- Thakur, N., Thakur, N.S., Suman, M., Lal Kaushal and Sharma, S. (2007). Apricot soya toffee - A protein enriched product. Indian Food Packer, 46 (3):77-81.
- Venu, D.K., Munjal, S.V., Waskar, D.P., Patil, S.R. and Kale, A.A. (2005). Biochemical changes during growth and development of Fig (Ficus carica L.) fruits. J. Food Sci. and Technol., 42 (3):279-282.