BIOCHEMICAL CHARACTERIZATION OF THREE SPECIES OF BANANA (Musa paradisiaca) GROWING IN KANJAMALAI.
Citation :- BIOCHEMICAL CHARACTERIZATION OF THREE SPECIES OF BANANA (Musa paradisiaca) GROWING IN KANJAMALAI..Asian Journal of Dairy and Food Research.2011.(30):210- 212
Three banana species namely Musa ab thaen kunnan, Musa abb monthan and Musa aab mysore collected from Kanjamalai, Salem District, were analyzed for biochemical constituents. The results suggest that among the three banana varieties the level of storage polysaccharides cholesterol and ascorbic acid seem to be higher in Musa ab thaen kunnan. The amount of Protein in Musa aab mysore showed higher concentration than the rest of the banana species. Calcium content was higher in Musa abb monthan. The Musa ab thaen kunnan showed higher level of phosphorus and iron as compared to other spices. The Musa ab thaen kunnan was also found to contain iron and good store of other biochemical constituents. The results emphasis that the banana species selected from Kanjamalai area accumulated very good store of minerals especially iron Musa ab thaen kunnan may be recommended as a natural iron supplement food.
Musa abb monthan
Musa aab mysore
- Akinyosoye V.O. (1991). Tropical Agriculture, Macmillan Publishers Limited, Ibadan P.65-68.
- Anu (2008) J Dairying,Foods and H.S(2008),27/2):138-141.
- Ferris ,S.R.B. (1997). Improving storage life of Plantain and banana. Research Guide (62).Intl .Institute of Tropical Agriculture, Ibadan.
- Gopalan,(1989) Nutritive Value of Indian Foods NIN,Indian Council of Medical Research,Hydrabad,India.
- Harold Varley (2005),Practical Clinical Biochemistry, Heinemann Professional Publishing Ltd., London.
- Leslie,S. Cobley (1976)., An Introduction to the Botany of Tropical Crops (2nd Edition), Longman Group Limited London.
- Meyer JJM (1996).Inhibition of Herpes simplex Virus by aqueous extract from shoots of helichrysum aureonites. J. Ethnoharmacol 51 : 41 - 43.
- Ramakrishnan,S and Venkat Rao,S (1995)Nutritional Biochemistry, T.R.Publications, Madras, India.
- Sadasivam. S and Manickam.A, Hand Book of Biochemical Methods (2005), New age International (p) Ltd., Publishers.
- Selvarajan RS, (2000).Occurrence of new leaf spot diseases in bananas and plantains in India. In Symposium on Emerging Trends in Plant Disease Management. Indian Phytopathological Society, South Zone, 7-8 December 2000, IIHR, Bangalore, India.
- Wath ,J.N. and Brayer Brand Wijk (1962). The Medicinal and Poisonous Plants of South and Eastern Africa. (2nd edition) E and S. Livingstone Ltd. Edinburgh, London.
- Whirtler (2003) Foods that Harm foods that heal.The Readers Digest Association Limited,London page 32.
- Wong (1928) Colorimetric determination of iron and hemoglobin in blood. J.Biol Chem, 77 : 409.
- Zak, B. (1957), Amer.J.Elin.Path., 27,583.