INFLUENCE OF SOIL DEPTH ON PRODUCTIVITY OF RAINFED CASTOR AND CLUSTERBEAN IN SOLE AND INTERCROPPING SYSTEMS
Citation :- INFLUENCE OF SOIL DEPTH ON PRODUCTIVITY OF RAINFED CASTOR AND CLUSTERBEAN IN SOLE AND INTERCROPPING SYSTEMS.Indian Journal of Agricultural Research.2004.(38):79 - 86
The studiesoninfluence ofsoil depth on productivityof rainfed castor - c1usterbean in sole and intercropping systems were conducted in semi arid Aifisol watershed area during kharif season from 1992 to 1995. The results indicated that castor and c1usterbean in different intercropping systems showed positive response with increment in soil depth in all the years; Among the crops, castor was found highly sensitive than clusterbean in terms of yield and growth components. The intercropping of castor and c1usterbean recorded higher yield and monetary advantages than respective sole crops at all soil depths due to efficient utilization of rainwater and nutrients. However, the yield advantages in intercropping systems increased with increment of soil depthupto 30 cm and decreased from 30–45 cm. Among the systems intercropping of castor + c1usterbean (1:2) recorded the highest castor seed equivalents at 30–45 cm followed by sole castor. The increase in seed yields, growth and yield components with increased soil depth is attributed to efficient use of rainwater and nutrients.
- Jadhav, J.D. et aJ. (1996). 1. Maharastra -1gric. Univ., 21(1): 161-162.
- Katkar, R.N. et al. (2000). Crop Res., (Hissar) 19: 527-529.
- Mahandra Singh and Joshi, N.L. (1997). Ann. Arid. Zone, 36: 37-42.
- Mead, R. and Wiiley, R.w. (1980). ExptJ. Agric., 16: 217-228.
- 86 INDIAN JOURNAL OF AGRICULTURAL RESEARCH
- Nam, N.H. et a!. (1993). Expt/. Agric., 29: 307-316.
- Piara Singh et a/. (1999). Field Crop Res., 63: 211-224.
- Pundarikakshudh, R. eta!. (1992). J. Agric. Sci., 62: 263-267.
- Subba Reddy, G. andVenkateswarlu, S. (1989). J. Oi/seeds Reg., 6: 300-307.
- Vittal, K.P.R. et a/. (1990). Expt/. Agric., 26: 429-439