Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.20
STRIP-TILL-DRILL IN PUNJAB- A STUDY
Power & Machinery, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana to use minimum tillage
technique for wheat sowing in Punjab. It was successfully demonstrated on large
scale. As a result Punjab Govt. gave 50% subsidy on sale of this machine. During the
year 1998 seventeen machines were purchased by the farmers. In the following years
this number rose to about 99 in Punjab. Manufacturers further improved the machine
as per demand and feedback from the farmers. They have strengthened the power
transmission system and also attempted to make 11-row machine. Gearboxes have
also been developed for 1000 rpm PTO. A survey was conducted to assess the status
of the machine in Punjab, its impact on energy and time saving. Farmers are saving
30 to 60% of fuel and time. Machine is also being operated on custom hiring basis at
the rate of Rs. 1000 to 1875 per ha. It has been seen that there is no change in yield
of wheat sown with this machine vis-à-vis traditional method of sowing. Farmers
have also expressed that the machine also helps to control phalaris minor, the most
troublesome weed of wheat in Punjab. Problems faced by the farmers and modifications
undertaken by the manufacturers are discussed.
- Anonymous. (2005a). Package of Practices for Rabi Crops, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, India.
- Anonymous. (2005b). Statistical Abstracts of Punjab, Chandigarh.
- Chaudhary M. A. (1988). Agric. Mech. in Asia, Africa and Latin America. 19: 37-42.
- Dhaliwal I.S. (2000). Ph.D. Dissertation. Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, India.
- Dhiman S. D. and Sharma A. P. (1986). Agric. Mech. in Asia, Africa and Latin America. 17: 15-16.
- Lindwell C. W. and Anderson D. T. (1977). Soil Sci. 57: 81-91.
- Shukla L. N., et al Agric. Mech. in Asia, Africa and Latin America. 27: 15-18.
- Singh B. and Singh T. P. (1995). J. Agric. Engg. ISAE. XXXII: 13-23.
- Witmuss H. D. and Lane D. E. (1973). In: 1973 summer meeting, ASAE, June 17-20, at University of Kentucky Laxington, Kentucky.
- Witmuss H. D. et al (1971). Trans. of ASAE. 14: 60-63, 68.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.