Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.20
HETEROSIS AND COMBINING ABILITY STUDIES FOR GRAIN YIELD AND GROWTH CHARACTERS IN MAIZE (ZEA MAYS L.)
line x tester mating design using nine lines and four testers along with check COH(M)4. Combining
ability analysis showed the predominant role of non-additive gene action for all the characters
studied. The lines UMI 199 and UMI 278 and the testers UMI 217 and UMI 314 had recorded high per
se and gca for yield and majority of the characters studied. The hybrid UMI 278 ´ UMI 217 and UMI
334 ´ UMI 217 had significant and superior per se performances for grain yield per plant. The hybrid
UMI 348 ´ UMI 330 exhibited high sca effect for plant height. Growth influencing characters positively
influenced hybrid performance in grain yield. The hybrid UMI 278 ´ UMI 217 was observed as best
and followed by UMI 334 ´ UMI 217 are potential hybrids for exploitation of yield heterosis
- Aydin Unay et al. (2004). Turk. J. Agric. For., 28: 239-244.
- Kabdal, M.K. et al. (2003). Agric. Sci. Digest., 23: 137-139.
- Kalla,V. et al. (2001). Crop Res., 22: 102-106.
- Katna, G. et al. (2005). Crop Res., 30: 221-226.
- Kayalvizhi, G. (2002). M.Sc., Thesis. Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore, India.
- Kempthorne, O. (1957). An Introduction to Genetic Statistics. John Willy and Sons. Inc. New York, pp. 545.
- Kumar, P. and Gupta, S.C. (2004). Agric. Sci. Digest., 24: 30-32.
- Marker, S. and .Joshi, V.N. (2005). Allahabad Farmer, 59:76-86.
- Mohanraj, K. (2001). M.Sc. Thesis. Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore, India.
- Pramod Kumar et al. (2003). RAU J. Res., 13: 36-38.
- Prasad, S.K. and Pramod Kumar. (2003). RAU J. Res., 13: 68-72.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.