Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.20
Influence of Organic and Inorganic Sources of Fertilizers on Growth and Yield of Maize (Zea mays L.) in Fiji
First Online 28-12-2020|
Methods: The experiment was laid out on maize variety Nirala in a randomized block design with three replications and six treatments comprising NPK, poultry manure and its combinations. Parameters on plant height (cm), number of leaves per plant, leaf length, leaf width, stem girth, grain yield were recorded and collected data was analyzed statistically applying the analysis of variance technique.
Result: Results reveled that among the all combinations, 100% NPK (300 kg/ha) along with PM @ 10 t ha-1 recorded higher plant height (204.00 cm), number of leaves per plant (12.87), maximum production efficiency (20.93 Kg/day/ha) and significantly superior (2511 kg/ha) grain yield and was most effective for improving growth and yield of maize.
- Abbasi, M.K. and Yousra, M. (2012). Synergistic effects of biofertilizer with organic and chemical N sources in improving soil nutrient status and increasing growth and yield of wheat grown under greenhouse conditions. Plant Biosystems. 146: 181-189.
- Abdelzaher, M.A., Ibrahim, Z.I., Khalil, F.A. and Mohamed, W.S. (2017). Use of some organic and Bio fertilizers as a partial substitution of the mineral nitrogen fertilization for corn, 1-The effect on corn yield and N, P and K uptake. Assiut Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 48(11): 229-250.
- Afe, A.L., Atanda, S., Aduloju, M.O., Ogundare, S.K. and Talabi, A.A. (2015). Response of maize (Zea mays L.) to combined application of organic and inorganic (soil and foliar applied) fertilizers. The African Journal of Biotechnology. 14(44): 3006-3010.
- Dilshad, M.D., Lone, M.I., Jilani, G., Malik, M.A., Yousaf, M., Khalid, R. and Shamim, F. (2010). Integrated plant nutrient management (IPNM) on maize under rainfed condition. Pakistan Journal of Nutrition. 9(9): 896-901.
- Fanuel, L. and Gifole, G. (2013). Growth and yield response of maize (Zea mays L.) to variable rates of compost and inorganic fertilizer integration in Wolaita, southern Ethiopia. American Journal of Plant Nutrition and Fertilization Technology. 3(2): 43-52.
- Foncha, F., Bame, I.B., Lendzemo, V.W., Nsuh, K.C., Etta, C., Mong, G.A., Nchinda, V.P., Mafouasson, O. H.,Christopher, S. and Noe, W. (2019). Growth and yield response of maize to different weed control methods in the western highlands of Cameroon. Journal of Agriculture and Crops. 5(2): 15-22.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. (2018). FAOSTAT Statistical Database. [Rome]: FAO, Extracted from http://www.fao.org/faostat/en/#data/QC
- Khan, S., Mohammad, T.J., Bilal, A., Tariq, S. and Wisal, A. (2016). Yield and yield components of maize as affected by integrated management of sheep manure and urea fertilizer. Middle East Journal of Agriculture Research. 5(4): 522-533.
- Kumar, A., Mishra, V. N., Srivastav, L.K. and Banwasi, R. (2014). Evaluations of soil fertility status of available major nutrients (N, P and K) and micro nutrients (Fe, Mn, Cu and Zn) in vertisol of Kabeerdham district of Chhattisgarh. International Journal of Interdisciplinary and Multidisciplinary Studies. 1(10): 72-79.
- Kumawat, N., Singh, R.P., Kumar, R., Kumari, A. and Kumar, P. (2012). Response of intercropping and integrated nutrition management on production potential and profitability on rainfed pigeon pea. Journal of Agricultural Science. 4: 154-162.
- Magda, A.E., Sabar, M.Z. and Mohamed, A.A. (2015). Effect of mineral fertilizer integration with organic manure on growth, yield and quality of maize (Zea mays L.). Journal of Soil Sciences and Agricultural Engineering. 6(2): 165-179.
- Oyedeji, F.N. (2016). Analysis of the effect of organic and inorganic fertilizer on growth performance and yield of maize. Stem Cell. 7(1): 4-9.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.