Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.20
Screening of Some Selected Indian Maize Cultivars to Simulated Drought Condition
First Online 15-07-2020|
- Arnon, D.I. (1949). Copper enzymes in isolated chloroplast, polyphenol -oxidase in Beta vulgaris. Plant Physiol. 24: 1-15.
- Bates, L.S., Waldren, R.P. and Teare, I.D. (1973). Rapid determination of free proline for water stress studies. Plant and Soil. 39: 205–207.
- Blum, A. (2011). Plant Breeding for Water-limited Environments. Springer, NY, USA.
- Bray, E.A., Bailey-Serres, J. and Weretilnyk, E. (2000). Responses to abiotic stresses. In: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology of Plants. [Buchanan, B.B., Gruissem, W., Jones, R. (Eds.)], American Society of Plant Physiologists, Rockville, MD, USA.; pp 1158–1203.
- Britton, G. (1995). Structure and properties of carotenoids in relation to function. FASEB J. 9:1551–1558.
- Chaves, M.M., Maroco, J.P. and Pereira, J.S. (2003). Understanding plant responses to drought from genes to the whole plant. Funct Plant Biol. 30: 239-264.
- CIMMYT. (2013). The drought tolerant maize for Africa project. DTMA Brief. Retrieved from http://dtma. cimmyt.org/index.php/about/background.
- Coruzzi, G. and Last, R. (2000). Amino acids. In: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology of Plants. [Buchanan, B.B., Gruissem, W., Jones, R. (Eds.)], American Society of Plant Physiologists, Rockville, MD, USA. Pp 358–410.
- Daryanto, S., Wang, L. and Jacinthe, P.A. (2016). Global synthesis of drought effects on maize and wheat production. PLoS ONE. 11(5): e0156362. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0156362.
- Hare, P.D., Cress, W.A. and VanStaden, J. (1998). Dissecting the roles of osmolyte accumulation in plants. Plant, Cell and Environ. 21: 535–553.
- Iwuala, E., Odjegba, V., Sharma, V. and Alam, A. (2019). Drought stress modulates expression of aquaporin gene and photosynthetic efficiency in Pennisetum glaucum (L.) R. Br. genotypes. Curr Plant Biol. DOI: 10.1016/j.cpb.2019.100131.
- Iwuala, E., Odjegba, V., Umebese, C., Vinay, S. and Alam, A. (2019). Physiological and gene expression studies of selected Zea mays L. and Pennisetum glaucum (L.) R. Br. genotypes to simulated drought stress condition. Vegetos. 32 (3): 397-406. DOI: 10.1007/s42535-019-00030-7.
- Lichtentaler, H.K. and Buschman, C. (2001). Chlorophylls and carotenoids: measurement and characterization by UV-VIS spectroscopy. Curr Prot in Food and Analy Chem. F4. 3.1–F4.3.8.
- Lobell, D. B., Bänziger, M., Magorokosho, C. and Vivek, B. (2011). Nonlinear heat effects on African maize as evidenced by historical yield trials. Nat Climate Change (NCC). 1: 42–45.
- Maiti, R., Satya, P. and Rajkumar, D. (2012). Crop Plant Anatomy. CAB International, Oxford Shire, UK.
- Malkin, R. and Niyogi, K. (2000). Photosynthesis. In: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology of Plants. [Buchanan, B.B., Gruissem, W., Jones, R. (Eds.)], American Society of Plant Physiologists, Rockville, MD, USA; pp. 568–628.
- McKersie, B.D. and Leshem, Y.Y. (1994). Stress and Stress Coping in Cultivated Plants. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, Netherlands.
- Parry, A.J., Flexas, J. and Medrano, H. (2005). Prospects for crop production under drought: research priorities and future directions. Ann of Appl Biol. 147:211–226.
- Ribaut, J.M. and Ragot, M. (2007). Marker-assisted selection to improve drought adaptation in maize: the backcross approach, perspectives, limitations and alternatives. J of Expt Bot. 58: 351–360.
- Ristic, Z., Williams, G. and Yang, G. (1996). Dehydration, damage to cellular membranes and heat shock proteins in maize hybrids from different climates. J of Plant Physiol. 149: 424-432.
- Santabarbara, S., Casazza, A.P. and Ali, K. (2013). The requirement for carotenoids in the assembly and function of the photosynthetic complexes in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Plant Physiol. 161: 535–546.
- Takele, A. (2010). Differential responses of electrolyte leakage and pigment compositions in maize and sorghum after exposure to and recovery from pre- and lost-flowering dehydration. Agric Sci in China. 9: 813–824.
- Triparthy, J.N., Zhang, J. and Robin, S. (2000). QTLs for cell- membrane stability mapped in rice (Oryza sativa L.) under drought stress. Theo and Appl Genet. 100: 1197–1202.
- Tuinstra, J.P. and Pereira, J.S. (2003). Understanding plant responses to drought-from genes to the whole plant. Funct Plant Biol. 30: 239–264.
- Turner, N.C. (1981). Techniques and experimental approaches for the measurement of plant water status. Plant and Soil. 58: 339–366.
- Vinocur, B. and Altman, A. (2005). Recent advances in engineering plant tolerance to abiotic stress: achievements and limitations. Curr Opin in Biotech. 16:123–132.
- Xu, Z., Zhou, G. and Shimizu, H. (2010). Plant responses to drought and rewatering. Plant Signal and Behav. 5: 649–654.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.