Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.20
Techniques to enhance storage potential of jatropha (Jatropha curcas L) seeds
First Online 22-12-2015|
Laboratory experiments were conducted to study the effect of different pre storage treatments and packaging materials on storability of Jatropha seeds. The treatments included halogen mixture @ 3g kg-1, Thiram @ 2g kg-1 and packed in three different containers viz., Aluminium container , Polythene bag and Cloth bag. The seeds were evaluated at monthly intervals upto ten months and observations on germination percent and vigour index were recorded in two varieties viz., Chidambaram local and Sirkali local. The results revealed that Jatropha seeds treated with halogen mixture and stored in aluminium container could be stored upto 7 months without loss in vigour and viability.
- Dharmalingam, C., Vasantha, R. Malarkodi K. and Lakshmi. S. (2000). Halogenation treatment to safeguard pulse seed in storage under ambient condition. Seed Res., 28: 42-46.
- Basu, R.N. (1994). An Appraisal of research on wet and dry physiological seed treatment and their applicability with special reference to tropical and sub-tropical countries, Seed Sci. and Technol., 22: 107-126.
- Gowda, B. and Gowda. S.J. (1999). Studies on physical and quality characters as influenced by seed size in sunflower. Crop Res., 18: 365-367.
- Justice, OL and Bass. L.N. (1978). Principles and practices of storage. Agricultural hand book Number 506. USDA. Washington, D.C. Pp. 289.
- Kathiravan, M., Ponnuswamy A.S. and Vanitha. C. (2007). Influence of dry dressing treatments on seed storability in jatropha (Jatropha curcas L. ). Res. on Crops. 8: 730-736.
- Narayanasamy, S. (1999). Effect of locations and containers on storability of ground nut. Curr. Res., 28: 154-156.
- Nautiayl, P.C. and Joshi Y.C. (1991). Storage of Rabi summer groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.) with calcium chloride for prolonged seed viability, vigour. Trop. Sci., 31: 21-26.
- Parashivamuthy, G.V., Jagadish and Gowda. Bomme (1994). Effect of containers and seed treatments on the storability of field bean. Seed Tech. News., 24: 21.
- Prakash, M., Sathyanarayanan, G. Sunilkumar B. and Anandaraj. P. (2011). Effect of flyash seed pelleting on storability in bhendi. Proceedings of National Conference on Flyash, organized by C-FARM, at Hyderabad, pp-IX 6.1- IX 6.11.
- Prakash, M., Sathiya narayanan. G., Padmavathi. S. and Sunil Kumar B. (2012). Enhancing seed longeivity with fly ash treatment in black gram. Research Journal Agricultural Sciences., 3 : 476-480
- Rajasekaran, R. (2001). Seed production, processing and storage studies in niger. M.Sc., (Ag.) Thesis, TNAU, Coimbatore.
- Renganayaki, P.R. (2001). Seed production and seed senescence in sunflower (Helianthus annus) KBSH-1. Ph.D Thesis, TNAU, Coimbatore.
- Sathya narayanan, G., Prakash, M. Sunilkumar, B. Padmavathy, S. Srimathi P. and Kalavathy. D. (2011). Physiological basis of mid storage correction in oilseeds. In : Seed physiology of Crops.(Ed. Prakash. M.). Satish Serial Publishing House. New Delhi. Pp 89-104. ISBN : 81-89304-96-8.
- Sathiya narayanan. G., Prakash, M. Sunil Kumar B. and Padmavathi. S. (2012). Seed enhancement techniques for enhanced seed storage in cotton. Research Journal Agricultural Sciences. 3 : 394-398.
- Shinde, P.V., Zode, N.G. Shende N.V. and Nikam. R.R. (1999). Effect of storage container on germination of sunflower seeds (Helianthus annus L). J. Maharashtra Agric. Univ., 22: 349-350.
- Sirmathi, P. (1997). Research focus on seed collection, processing and storage of amla (Emblica offinalis), jamun (Syzygium cumini) and ber (Zizyphies Mauritiana). Ph.D Thesis, TNAU, Coimbatore.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.