Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.20
Post harvest seed quality of greengram as influenced by pre-harvest spray of insecticides
First Online 23-04-2016|
The experiment was conducted to study the effect of insecticides and stages of insecticidal sprays on seed yield and yield components in greengram. The investigation was carried out in Department of Genetics and Plant Breeding, during Kharif 2012. The experiment was laid in factorial randomized block design (FRBD) consisted of 15 treatment combinations involving two factors with three replications. Among the five test insecticides, spraying of malathion @ 2 ml/l recorded significantly more number of pods/plant (20.75), pod weight (20.45g), seed yield/plant (3.17 g), seed yield/hectare (949 kg) and less percentage of infested pods (5.35%) as well as infested seeds/plant (2.66%). It was followed by nimbicidine and methyl parathion. Whereas reciprocal values for these seed yield parameters were noticed in the unsprayed control plants (16.13, 16.53g, 1.84g, 725 kg, 14.13% and 7.89%, respectively). Similar results were recorded in spraying of insecticides at 20 and 10 Days before harvest compare to 20 or 10 Days before harvest. Interaction effect between insecticides and stages of insecticidal spraying were found non-significant for most of the seed yield and quality parameters.
- Agriculture Statistics at a Glance (2012). Economics and Statistics Ministry of Agriculture, government of India
- Biradar. A.P. Balikai. R.A and Teggelli, R.G. (2001). Loss estimation and development of spray schedule in bengalgram due to pod borer. Karnataka Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 11: 662-664.
- Dingra. S. (2001). Joint action of insecticides for insect management. Paper presented at the IARI-ICAR Summer School Entitled Alternate Strategies for Insect Pest Management in Major Crops held at Division of Entomology, IARI, and New Delhi.
- Gidaganti et al., Alghali (1998). Effect of pre-harvest spraying of some pesticides on yield and quality of cowpea seed. Seed Research, 23 : 102-107.
- Kumar Akhilesh and Parasnath, (2004). Effect of insecticides against pod borer and pod fly and grain weight in pigeonpea. Indian Journal of Entomology, 66: 228-230.
- Lal. S.S. 1985. A review of insect pests of mungbean and their control in India. Tropical Pest Management, 31: 105-114.
- Manzoor. H.D. Rizvi. P.Q. and Nakhat. A.N. (2002). Efficacy of neem and synthetic insecticides for the management of insect pests of greengram. Pest Management and Economic Zoology, 10 : 57-60.
- Merwade, M. N., 2000, Investigations on seed production techniques and storability of chickpea. Ph.D. Thesis Univ. Agric. Sci., Dharwad India.
- Patrick. J. Palanisamy, V. and Venkeshwaran, V. (1998), Influence of pre-harvest sprays on seed yield and quality of pea (Pisum sativum L.). Seed Tech News, 28: 8.
- Ramujagir and Chaudhary. P.S. (1997). Field efficacy of certain insecticides against major insect pests of mungbean, Vigna radiata. Annual Plant Protection of Science, 5: 34- 39.Thesis, University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad.
- Ramujagir, 1999, Field efficacy of insecticides against pod borer complex in early pigeonpea, Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp. Annual Plant Protection of Sciences, 7: 19-25.
- Ramzan, M., B.S., Chahal and Judge, B.K., 1990, Storage losses to some commonly used pulses caused by pulse beetle Callosobruchus maculatas F. Journal of Insect Science, 3 (1): 106-108. Saraswathi, N., Shashidhara, S.D., Vyakaranahal, B.S., Merwade, M.N. and Puttaswamy, T., 1995, influence of pre-harvest spray of fungicides and postharvest seed treatments on seed quality of soybean (glycine max (l.) merill). farming system, 11: 21-28.
- Saraswathi, N., Shashidhara, S.D., Vyakaranahal, B.S., Merwade, M.N. and Puttaswamy, T., 1995, Influence of pre-harvest spray of fungicides and postharvest seed treatments on seed quality of soybean (Glycine max (L.) Merill). Farming System, 11: 21-28.
- Siddegowda. D.K. Suhas Yelshetty and Patil, B.V. (2004). Field efficacy of novaluron (Rimon 10 EC) against pigeonpea pod borer Helicoverpa armigera (Hubner). Pestology, 28: 16-18
- Snedecor. and Cochra, 1967, Statistical methods. The IOWA State University Press, USA. pp. 593.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.