Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Full Research Article
Growth and Macronutrients Status of Mung Bean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek] Grown under Lead (Pb) Stress and Exposed to Foliar Spray of Indole Acetic Acid (IAA)
First Online 27-06-2022|
Methods: Two varieties i.e., M-8 and MN-92 of mung bean were grown in pots arranged under complete randomization. Fifteen days after germination, Pb was added @ 10 and 20 mg/kg soil as solutions of PbNO3. Indole acetic acid @100.0 mM was sprayed twice at 15 and 30 days of age. Stem length, root length, leaf area and nutrient ions were recorded at physiological maturity. Three replicates from each treatment were evaluated.
Result: The alleviation role of IAA for stem length was recorded as 21.46 and 26.14% for low and high lead stress. The root length was compensated to 34.78 and 31.40% for the respective low and high lead toxicity. Leaf area was affected as 18.11 and 17.32% by IAA. Similarly, Nitrogen contents were nullified to the extents of 15.34 and 8.13%. Phosphorus contents were changed as 11.62 and 4.65% while potassium contents were as 10.14 and 19.36%. The rectifying potential of IAA for leaf biomasses were as 7.64 and 7.43%.
- Abdel Latef, A.A.H., Akter, A. and Tahjib-Ul-Arif, M. (2021). Foliar application of auxin or cytokinin can confer salinity stress tolerance in Vicia faba L. Agronomy. 11: 790.
- Angulo-Bejarano, P.I., Puente-Rivera, J. and Cruz-Ortega, R. (2021). Metal and metalloid toxicity in plants: An overview on molecular aspects. Plants. 10: 635.
- Ashraf, S., Ali, Q., Zahir, Z.A., Ashraf, S. and Asghar, H.N. (2019). Phytoremediation: Environmentally sustainable way for reclamation of heavy metal polluted soils. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety. 174: 714-727.
- Aslam, M., Aslam, A., Sheraz, M., Ali, B., Ulhassan, Z., Najeeb, U., Zhou, W. and Gill, R.A. (2021). Lead toxicity in cereals: Mechanistic insight into toxicity mode of action and management. Front. Plant Science. 11: 587785.
- Atteya, A.M. (2002). Characterization of growth and water relations in barley during water stress and after rewatering. Arizona Journal of Pharmacy Science. 29: 285-296.
- AVRDC (Asian Vegetable Research and Development Centre), (2012). Mungbean AVDRC Progress Report (2012). Shanhua, Taiwain: AVRDC.
- Bhadane, R.S., Prajapati, K.R., Rajput, S.D. and Patil, K. (2021). Influence of seed hardening and foliar spraying of PGRs on morpho-physiological parameters in green gram (Vigna radiata L.). Indian Journal of Agricultural Research. DOI: 10.18805/IJARe.A-5865.
- Bielach, A., Hrtyan, M., Tognetti, V.B. (2017). Plants under stress: Involvement of auxin and cytokinin. International Journal of Molecular Science. 18: 1427.
- Blatt, M.R. (1993). Hormonal control of ion chanel gating. Annual review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology. 44: 543-567.
- Blatt, M.R. and Armstrong, F. (1993). K1 channels of stomatal guard cells: Abscisic acid-evoked control of the outward rectifier mediated by cytoplasmic pH. Planta. 191: 330-341.
- Bunsangiam, S., Thongpae, N., Limtong, S. et al. (2021). Large scale production of indole-3-acetic acid and evaluation of the inhibitory effect of indole-3-acetic acid on weed growth. Scientific Reports. 11: 13094.
- Burzyñski, M. and Grabowski, A. (1984). Influence of lead on N03 uptake and reduction in cucumber seedlings. Acta Societatis Botanicorum Poloniae. 53: 77-86.
- Carlson, R.W., Bazzaz, F.A. and Rolfe, G.L. (1975). The effect of heavy metals on plants. Part 11. Net photosynthesis and transpiration of whole corn and sunflower plants treated with Ph, Cd, Ni and Ti. Environmental Research. 10: 113-120.
- DalCorso, G., Fasani, E., Manara, A., Visioli, G. and Furini, A. (2019). Heavy metal pollutions: state of the art and innovation in phytoremediation. International Journal of Molecular Science. 20: 3412.
- Duncan, D.B. (1955). Multiple range and multiple F-test. Biometrics. 11: 1-42.
- Fahad, S., Hussain, S., Matloob, A., Khan, F.A., Khaliq, A., Saud, S., Hassan, S., Shan, D., Khan, F., Ullah, N. et al. (2015). Phytohormones and plant responses to salinity stress: A review. Plant Growth Regulation. 75: 391-404.
- Fodor, F.E., Sarvari, F., Lang, Z. and Szigeti, E.C. (1996). Effects of Pb and Cd on cucumber depending on the Fe-complex in the culture solution. Journal of Plant Physiology. 148: 434-439.
- Giannakoula, A., Therios, I. and Chatzissavvidis, C. (2021). Effect of lead and copper on photosynthetic apparatus in citrus (Citrus aurantium L.) plants. The role of antioxidants in oxidative damage as a response to heavy metal stress. Plants. 10: 155.
- Godbold, D.L. and Kettner, C. (1991). Lead influences root growth and mineral nutrition of Picea abies seedlings. Journal of Plant Physiology. 139: 95-99.
- Hampp, R., Kriebitzsch, C. and Ziegler, H. (1974). Effects of lead on enzymes of porphyrin biosynthesis in chloroplasts and erythrocytes. Naturwissenschaften. 11: 504.
- Hasan, M.M., Uddin, M.N., Ara-Sharmeen, F. I, Alharby, H., Alzahrani, Y., Hakeem, K.R., et al. (2019). Assisting phytoremediation of heavy metals using chemical amendments. Plants. 8: 295.
- Heckathorn, S.A., Mueller, J.K., LaGuidice, S., Zhu, B., Barrett, T., Blair, B. and Dong, Y. (2004). Chloroplast small heat- shock proteins protect photosynthesis during heavy metal stress. American Journal of Botany. 91: 1312-1318.
- Ilyas, N. et al. (2018). Contribution of nitrogen fixed by mung bean to the following wheat crop. Communication in Soil Science and Plant Analysis. 49:148-158.
- Iqbal, N., Umar, S., Khan, N.A. and Khan, M.I.R. (2014). A new perspective of phytohormones in salinity tolerance: Regulation of proline metabolism. Environmental and Experimental Botany. 100: 34–42.
- Jahan, M.A.H.S., Hossain, A., Teixeira da Silva,J. A., El-Sabagh, A., Rashid, M.H. and Barutçular, C. (2019). Effect of Naphthaleneacetic acid on root and plant growth and yield of ten irrigated wheat genotypes. Pakistan Journal of Botany. 51: 451-459.
- Kappus, H. (1985). Lipid Peroxidation: Mechanisms, Analysis, Enzymology and Biological Relevance. In: Oxidative Stress. [Sies H, (ed)], London: Academic Press. pp: 273-310.
- Khan, M.A., Gul, B. and Weber, D.J. (2004). Action of plant growth regulators and salinity on seed germination of Ceratoides Lanata. Canadian Journal of Botany. 82: 37-42.
- Kibria, M.G. (2008). Dynamics of cadmium and lead in some soils of Chittagang and their influx in some edible crops. Ph.D thesis University of Chittagang, Bangladesh.
- Kibria, M.G., Islam, M. and Osman, K. (2009). Effects of lead on growth and mineral nutrition of Amaranthus gangeticus L. and Amaranthus oleracea L. Soil and Environment. 28: 1-6.
- Kumar, A., Prasad, M. and Sytar, O. (2012). Lead toxicity, defense strategies and associated indicative biomarkers in Talinum triangulare grown hydroponically. Chemosphere. 89: 1056-1065.
- Kumar, P.B.A.N., Dushenkov, V., Motto, H. and Raskin, I. (1995). Phytoextraction: The use of plants to remove heavy metals from soils. Environmental Science and Technology. 29: 1232-1238.
- Lambrides, C.J. and Godwin, I.D. (2006). Mungbean. In: Genome Mapping and Molecular Breeding in Plants. [Chittarajan K. ed)], Vol. 3. Berlin/Heidelberg, Germany: Springer, pp: 69-90.
- Moustaka, J., Ouzounidou, G., Bayçu, G. and Moustakas, M. (2016). Aluminum resistance in wheat involves maintenance of leaf Ca2+ and Mg2+ content, decreased lipid peroxidation and Al accumulation and low photosystem II excitation pressure. BioMetals. 29: 611-623.
- Neha, Chandra, R., Pareek, N. and Raverkar, K.P. (2021). Enhancing mungbean (Vigna radiata L.) productivity, soil health and profitability through conjoint use of Rhizobium and PGPR. Legume Research. DOI: 10.18805/LR-4552.
- Orhue, E.R. and Innch, S. (2010). Uptake of lead by Celosia argentia in an ultisol. Research Journal of Agriculture and Biological Sciences. 6: 103-107.
- Poschenrieder, C., Gunse, B. and Barcelo, J. (1989). Influence of cadmium on water relations, stomatal resistance and abscisic acid content in expanding bean leaves. Plant Physiology. 90: 1365-1371.
- Priya, C.S. and Ratna Babu, D. (2021). Genetic parameters of variation and character association for seed yield and its attributes in mungbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek]. Legume Research. DOI: 10.18805/LR-4498.
- Rehman, M.Z.U., Rizwan, M., Ali, S., Ok, Y.S., Ishaque, W., Saifullah, et al. (2017). Remediation of heavy metal contaminated soils by using Solanum nigrum: A review. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety. 143: 236-248.
- Salman, M.A.S., Anuradha, C. Sridhar, V. Ram Babu, E. and Pushpavalli, S.N.CV.L. (2021). Genetic variability for yield and its related traits in green gram [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek]. Legume Research. DOI: 10.18805/LR-4484.
- Samardakiewicz, S. (2000). Structural and functional effects of lead on plant roots. Ph.D. Dissertation, Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznan (in Polish).
- Saygideger, S., Dogan, M. and Keser, G. (2004). Effect of lead and pH on lead uptake, chlorophyll and nitrogen content of Typha latifolia L. and Ceratophyllum demersum L. International Journal of Agriculture and Biology. 6: 168-172.
- Stoeva, N. and Bineva, T. (2003). Oxidative changes and photosynthesis in oat plants grown in as-contaminated soil. Bulgarian Journal of Plant Physiology. 29: 87-95.
- Weijers, D. and Wagner, D. (2016). Transcriptional responses to the auxin hormone. Annu. Rev. Plant Biology. 67(4): 539-574.
- Wierzbowska, J. and Bowszys, T. (2008). Effect of growth regulators applied together with different phosphorus fertilization levels on the content and accumulation of potassium, magnesium and calcium in spring wheat. Journal of Elementology. 13: 411-422.
- Wozny, A. (1995). Lead in plant cells. Sorus, Poznan (in Polish).
- Wu, H. et al. (2021). High-level production of indole-3-acetic acid in the metabolically engineered Escherichia coli. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry. 69: 1916-1924.
- Wuana, R.A. and Okieimen, F.E. (2011). Heavy metals in contaminated soils: A review of sources, chemistry, risks and best available strategies for remediation. Isralean Ecology. 2011: 402647.
- Zhang, A., Jennings A., Barlow, P.W. and Forde, B.G. (1999). Dual pathways for regulation of root branching by nitrate. Plant Biology. 96: 6529-6534.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.