Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
The Effects of Gibberellic Acid (GA3) Applications on the Physiological Features of Groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.) under Different Salt (NaCI) Stress Conditions
First Online 21-08-2021|
Methods: Trial was established as split plot design with 3 replications and NC-7 variety was used as a material. The chlorophyll content in leaves, ion (K, Na, Mg, Ca) content, cell membrane permeability were searched in the research. To determine the physiological responses of groundnut in the conditions of Gibberellic asid (GA3), (0, 5, 15 mM) applications under the different salt (Nacl), (0, 25, 50, 100 mM) stress conditions at the Plant Growth Room in the GAP Agricultural Research Institute in Şanlıurfa, Turkey in 2019. The chlorophyll content in leaves, ion (K, Na, Mg, Ca) content, cell membrane permeability were searched in the research.
Result: The increasing salt applications decreases the leaf chlorophyll content and leaf ions (K, Mg, Ca) content, in contrast, increased the cell membrane permeability, proline content and sodium concentration were determined. The gibberallic asid applied externally against salt stress were determined to have the positive effects on traits; leaf chlorophyll content, ion (K, Na, Mg, Ca) content, cell membrane permeability, proline content.
- Adinya, I.B., Enun, E.E., Ijoma, J.U. (2010). Exploring profitability potentials in groundnut production through agroforestry practices: A case study in Nigeria. J. Anim. Plant Sci. 20(2): 123-131.
- Binici, S., (2005). The effects of gibberellic acid and abscisic acid on growth physiology and some nutrients uptake in wheat plants grown at high salinity, University of Harran, Graduate School of Natural and Applied Sciences Depertment of Soil Science, Master Thesis, Şanlıurfa, Turkey, pp.46.
- Chauhan, M.P., Singh, I.S. (2000). Variability estimates and identifying chickpea genotypes for yield and yield attributes in salt affected soil. Legumes Res. 23: 199-200.
- Duncan, D.B. (1955). Multiple Range and Multiple F-Test. Biometrics. 11: 1-5.
- Durmus, E., Çakaloğulları, U., Tatar, Ö. (2017). Relations between water use efficiency and related physiological parameters of maize in field conditions. The Journal of Agricultural Faculty of Ege University. 52(3): 307-315. ISSN 1018-8851.
- FAO (2019). Crop Production Statistics from http://faostat.org/site/ 567/DesktopDefault.aspx? Page ID=56712/06/2008.
- Flexas, J., Bota, J., Loreto, F., Cornic, G., Sharkey, T.D. (2004). Diffusive and metabolic limitations to photosynthesis under drought and salinity in C3 plants. Plant Biology. 6: 1-11.
- Gadallah, M.A.A. (1999). Effects of proline and glycinebetaine on Vicia faba responses to salt stress. Biologia Plantarum. 42: 249-257.
- Gehlot, H.S., Purohit, A. and Shekhawat, N.S. (2005). Metabolic changes and protein patterns associated with adaptation to salinity in sesamum indicum cultivars. Journal of Cell and Molecular Biology. 4: 31-39.
- Ghosh, C.S., Asanuma, K., Kusutani, A. and Toyota, M. (2001). Effect of salt stres on some chemical components and yield of potato. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr. 47(3): 467-475.
- Gupta, R., Chakrabarty, S.K. (2013). Gibberellic acid in plant: Still a mystery unresolved. Plant Signal Behav. 8: e25504
- Hassan, M. and İsmail, B.S. (2018). Effect of gibberellic acid on the growth and yield of groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.). Sains Malaysiana. 47(2): 221-225. http://dx.doi.org/10.17576/jsm-2018-4702-02.
- Hayat, S., Ahmad, A., Mobin, M., Fariduddin, Q. and Azam, Z.M. (2001). The level of carbonic anhydrase, photosynthesis and seed yield in mustard plants, treated with phytohormones. Photosynthetica. 39: 111-114.
- Iba, K. (2002). Acclımatıve response to temparature stres ın hıgher plants: Approaches of gene engineering for temparature tolerance. Annu. Rev. Plant Biol. 53: 225-245.
- Jiao, X., Zhi, W., Liu, G., Zhu, G., Feng, G., Nimir, E.A. (2019). Responses of foreign GA3 application on seedling growth of castor bean (Ricinus communis L.) under salinity stress conditions. Agronomy. 9: 274.
- Khan, M.N., Siddiqui, M.H., Mohammad, F., Naeem, M., Khan, M.M.A. (2010) Calcium chloride and gibberellic acid protect linseed (Linum usitatissimum L.) from NaCl stress by inducing antioxidative defence system and osmoprotectant accumulation. Acta Physiol. Plant 32(1): 121-132.
- Knipp, G. and Honermeier, B. (2006). Effect of water stres on proline accumulation of genetically modified potatoes (Solanum tuberosum L.) generating fructans. Journal of Plant Physiolog. 163: 392-397.
- Koca, H. (2007). Effects of salt stress on physiological and biochemical characteristics of different sesamum cultivars, Intitutue of Science, PhD Thesis, İzmir, Turkey. pp. 132.
- Köşkeroğlu, S. (2006). The investigation on accumulation levels of proline and stress parameters of the maize (Zea mays L.) plant under salinity, Intitutue of Science and Technology, Master Thesis, Muğla, Turkey, pp. 120.
- Leubner-Metzger, G. (2001). Brassinosteroids and gibberellins promote tobacco seed germination by distinct pathways. Planta. 213: 758-763.
- Mafakheri A, Siosemardeh A, Bahramnejad B, Struik P, Sohrabi Y. (2010). Effect of drought stress on yield, proline and chlorophyll contents in three chickpea cultivars. Australian Journal of Crop Science. 4(8): 580-585.
- Mensah, J.K., Akomeah, P.A., Ikhajiagbe, B. and Ekpekurede, E.O. (2006). Effects of salinity on germination, growth and yield of five groundnut genotypes. African Journal of Biotechnology. 5(20): 1973-1979.
- Mohanty, S.K. and Sahoo, N.C. (2000). Effect of soaking period, seed size and growth regulators on imbibition and germination of seeds of some field crops. Orissa Journal Agriculture Research. 18: 219-227.
- Moneruzzaman, K.M., Hossain, A.B.M.S., Normaniza, O. and Amru, B.N. (2011). Growth, yield and quality responses to gibberellic acid (GA3) of wax apple Syzygium samarangense var. Jambu air madu fruit grown under field conditions. African Journal of Biotechnology. 10(56): 11911-11918.
- Meera, S., Poonam, S. (2010). Response of growth regulators on some physiological traits and yield of chickpea (Cicer arietinum). Progressive Agriculture 10(2): 387-388.
- Öncel, İ., ve Keleş, Y. (2002). Changes of Growth, Chlorophyll Content and Solute Composition in Wheat Genotypes under Salt Stress. University of Çukurova, Faculty of Arts and Sciences Journal of Science. 23(2): 8-16.
- Özcan, H., Turan, M. A., Koç, Ö., Çıkılı, Y. and Taban, S. (2000). Growth and variations in proline, sodium, chloride, phosphorus and potassium concentrations of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L. cvs.) varieties under salinity stress, Tr. J. of Agriculture and Forestry. 24: 649-654.
- Purohit Harsh, B., Patel Riddhi, S., Talavia, B.P. and Kandoliya, U.K. (2020). Effect of gibberellic acid, potassium nitrate and silicic acid on antioxidative enzymes in groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.) seedling irrigated with saline water. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 9(4): 1867-1873.
- Renugadevi, J. and Vijayageetha, V. (2006). Organic seed fortification in cluster bean (Cyamopsis tetragonoloba L.) TAUB. International Conference on Indigenous Vegetables and Legumes. Prospectus for Fighting Poverty, Hunger and Malnutrition. 752: 335-337.
- Sayari, A.H., Bouzid, R.G., Bidani, A., Jaoua, L., Savoure, A. and Jaoua, L. (2005). Overexpression of Δ1-Pyrroline-5-Carboxylate Synthetase İncreases Proline Production and Confers Salt Tolerance in Transgenic Potato Plants. Plant Science. 169: 746-752.
- Tatar, M.Ö. (2006). Effects of salinity on germination and seedling stage of some rice genotypes University of Ege, Graduate School of Natural and Applied Sciences, Master Thesis, İzmir, Turkey. pp 78.
- Teıxeıra, J. and Pereıra, S. (2007). High salinity and drought act on an organ-dependent manner on potato glutamine synthetase expression and accumulation. Environmental and Experimental Botany. 60: 121-126.
- Tıpırdamaz, R. (1989). The effect of salt and water stress on proportional water content and organic (proline betaine) and inorganic matter (Na+, K+, C1-) changes in two cultivars of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) grown in Turkey. University of Hacettepe, Graduate School of Natural and Applied Sciences, Ph.D Thesis, Ankara, pp 124.
- Verma, A., Malik, C.P., Sinsinwar, Y.K. Gupta,V.K. (2009). Yield parameters responses in a spreading (cv.M-13) and semi- spreading (cv.Girnar-2) types of groundnut to six growth regulators. American-Eurasian Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Science. 6(1): 88-91.
- Yakıt, S., ve Tuna, A.L. (2006). Effects of Ca, Mg and K on stress parameters in corn plant (Zea mays L.) under salt stress. University of Akdeniz, Journal of the Faculty of Agriculture. 19(1): 59-67.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.