Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Studies on the Effect of Water Stress on Root Traits in Green Gram Cultivars
First Online 11-02-2022|
Methods: The experiment was conducted during Rabi, 2018-19 with five green gram varieties as main treatment and irrigation intervals as sub treatments in three replications in factorial RBD in root structures. Observations were recorded on root parameters at flowering stage. The root structures were dismantled during flowering stage and all the plants removed from the soil without damaging the roots by using water with jet pump. Five representative samples were collected under different stress level. Root studies were performed with Delta T automatic root scanner. The SPAD chlorophyll meter was used to measure canopy leaves and average of the three readings was taken as SCMR value.
Result: The present study results on root studies revealed that genotype, MGG-295 recorded highest mean plant height under three stress conditions and same genotype also produced longer root length under mild water stress conditions, higher SCMR values under non-stress and mild stress. Genotype, MGG-347 recorded highest root diameter under non- stress and mild stress. MGG-385 produced highest root length under control and severe stresses, highest SCMR values under severe stress, root dry weight under mild and severe water stresses and total plant dry weight under control and mild stress. MGG-360 recorded higher shoot fresh weight under severe stress and same genotype also recorded significant superior values for total root area under mild and severe water stress and root tip count under non-stress, mild stress and severe stress. MGG-351 recorded shoot fresh weight under non stress and mild stress situations and the same genotype recorded highest values for root diameter and total plant dry weight under severe stress. The identified genotypes can be used as water stress resistant genotypes in future drought proof breeding programmes.
- Adiku, S., Braddock, R. and Rose, C. (1996). Simulating growth dynamics. Environmental Software. 11: 99-103.
- Aiken, R.M. and Smucker, A.J.M. (1996). Root system regulation of whole plant growth. Annual Review of Phytopathology. 34: 325-346.
- Alderfasi, A.A., Alzarqaa, A.A., Al-Yahya, F.A., Roushdy, S.S., Dawabah, A.A., Alhammad, B.A. (2017). Effect of combined biotic and abiotic stress on some physiological aspects and antioxidant enzymatic activity in mungbean (Vigna radiata L.). African Journal of Agricultural Research. 12: 700-705.
- Aparna, P.P., Kailash, C.S., Simachal, S. and Prem, N.J. (2020). Morphological, Physiological and Biochemical evaluation of transgenic green gram [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek] for drought tolerance. International Journal of Chemical Studies. 8(3): 1139-1147.
- Bandyopadhyay, P.K. (2012). Mitigating abiotic stresses and enhancing resource use efficiency in pulses in rice fallows through innovative resource conservation practices at ICAR Research Complex, Umium, Meghalaya.
- Bandyopadhyay, P.K. and Mallick, S. (2003). Estimation of root distribution and water uptake pattern of wheat under shallow water table condition in Damodar Valley irrigation command area. Journal of Indian Society of Soil Science. 51: 103-110.
- Bengough, A.G., Bransby, M.F., Hans, J., Mckenn, S.J., Roberts, T.J. and Valentine, T.A. (2006). Root responses to soil physical conditions, growth dynamics from field to cell. Journal of Experimental Biology. 57: 437-447.
- Boutraa, T., Iqbal, M.J. and Sanders, F.E. (1999). Can we improve the tolerance of Phaseolus vulgaris cultivars to low soil phosphorus by selecting for greater root biomass. Journal of Experimental Botany. 4: 4-39
- Chowdhury, J.A., Karim, M.A., Khaliq, Q.A., Ahmed, A.U., Mondol, A.M. (2017). Effect of drought stress on water relation traits of four soybean genotypes. SAARC Journal of Agriculture. 15: 163-175.
- Chun, L., Guohuo, M., Jiansheng, L., Fanjun, C. and Fusuo, Z. (2005). Genetic analysis of maize root characteristics in response to low nitrogen stress. Plant and Soil. 276: 369-382.
- Feller, U. (2006). Stomatal opening at elevated temperature: An underestimated regulatory mechanism. General and Applied Plant Physiology. 32: 19-31.
- Geetha, A., Suresh, J. and Saidaiah, P. (2012). Study on response of sunflower (Helianthus annus L.) genotypes for root and yield characters under water stress. Current Biotica. 6(1): 32-41.
- Jincya, M., V., Babu Rajendra Prasad, A.P., Jeyakumara, A., Senthila and Manivannan, N. (2019). Evaluation of green gram genotypes for drought tolerance by PEG (polyethylene glycol) induced drought stress at seedling stage. DOI: 10.18805/LR-4149.
- Kaur, R., Kaur, J. and Bains, T.S. (2017). Screening of mungbean genotypes for drought tolerance using different water potential levels. Journal of Advanced Agricultural Technologies. 4(2).
- Khan, H.R., Paull, J.G., Siddique, K.H.M. and Stoddard, F.L. (2010). Fababean breeding for drought-affected environments: A physiological and agronomic perspective. Field Crops Research. 115: 279-286.
- Kirchhof, G.,So, H.B., Adisarwanto, T., Utomo, W.H., Priyono, S., Prastowo, B., Basir, M., Lando, T.M., Subandi, Dacanay, E.V., Tan-Elicano, D. and Sanidad, W.B. (2000). Growth and yield response of grain legumes to different soil management practices after rainfed lowland rice. Soil and Tillage Research. 56: 51-66.
- Kumar, A. and Sharma, K.D. (2009). Physiological responses and dry matter partitioning of summer mungbean (Vigna radiata L.) genotypes subjected to drought conditions. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science. 95: 270-277.
- Liu Liping, Gan, Yantai., Bueckert, Rosalind and Rees, Ken Van. (2011). Rooting systems of oilseed and pulse crops I: Temporal growth patterns across the plant developmental periods. Field Crops Research. 122: 256-263.
- Pandey, S., Ror, S. and Chakraborty, D. (2014). Analysis of biochemical responses in Vigna mungo varieties subjected to drought stress and possible amelioration. International Journal Scientific Research in Agricultural Sciences. 1(1): 6-15.
- Parameshwarappa, S.G., Salimath, P.M., Upadhyaya, H.D., Patil, S.S., Kajjidoni, S.T., Patil, B.C and Narayana, Y.D. (2012). Variation in root characters of selected drought tolerant accessions of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) grown under terminal drought. Karnataka Journal of Agricultural Science. 25(3): 389-391.
- Parvin, S., Javadi, T. and Ghaderi, N. (2015). Proline, protein, Rwc and MSI contents affected by paclobutrazol and water deficit treatments in strawberry cv. Paros. Cercetari Agronomice in Moldova. 48(1): 107-114.
- Petcu, G.H. and Petcu, E. (2006). Effect of cultural practices and fertilizers on sunflower yields in long term experiments. Helia. 29(44): 135-144.
- Pietola, L. and Alakukku, L. (2005). Root growth dynamics and biomass input by Nordic annual field crops. Agriculture Ecosystem and Environment. 108: 135-144.
- Qin, R.J., Stamp, P. and Richner, W. (2004). Impact of tillage on root systems of winter wheat. Agronomy Journal. 96: 1523-1530.
- Rauf, S. and Sadaqat, H.A. (2008). Effect of varied water regimes on root length, dry matter partitioning and endogenous plant growth regulators in sunflower (Helianthus anuus L.). Journal of Plant Interactions. 2(1): 41-51.
- Saidaiah, P., Pandravada, S.R., Sivaraj, N., Geetha, A., Lingaiah, N. (2021). Understanding of yield stability in jack bean (Canavalia ensiformis L.) genotypes using AMMI and GGE bi-plot models. Legume Research. https://doi.org/ 10.18805/ LR-4548.
- Saima, S., Li, G. and Wu, G. (2018). Effects of drought stress on hybrids of Vigna radiata at germination stage. Biologia Futura. 69: 481-492.
- Sangakkaran, U.R., Frehner, M. and Nosberger, J. (2000). Effect of soil moisture and potassium fertilizer on shoot water potential, photosynthesis and partitioning of carbon in mungbean and cowpea. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science. 185: 201-207.
- Serraj, R., Krishnamurthy, L., Kashiwagi, J., Kumar, J., Chandra, S. and Crouch, J.H. (2004). Variation in root traits of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) grown under terminal drought. Field Crops Research. 88: 115-127.
- Siddiqui, Z.A., Iqbal, A. and Mahmood, I. (2001). Effects of Pseudomonas fluorescens and fertilizers on the reproduction of Meloidogyne incognita and growth of tomato. Applied Soil Ecology. 16: 179-185.
- Swathi, L., Reddy, D.M., Sudhakar, P. and Vineela, V. (2017). Screening of mungbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek] genotypes against water stress mediated through polyethylene glycol. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Science. 6: 2524-2531.
- Yohan, Y., Sudhakar, P., Umamahesh, V., Mohan Reddy, D. and Sumathi, V. (2018). Influence of moisture stress on root traits and yield components of mungbean genotypes. Int. J. Curr. Microbiol. App. Sci. 7(12): 2867-2877.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.