Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Evaluation of diverse cowpea [Vigna unguiculata (L.) Walp.] germplasm accessions for drought tolerance
First Online 31-01-2019|
- Anantharaju, P. and Muthiah, A.R. 2008). Screening for drought tolerance in cowpea [Vigna unguiculata (L.) Walp]. Legume Research, 31: 283-285.
- Asiwe, J.A.N. (2009). Needs assessment of cowpea production practices, constraints and utilization in South Africa. African Journal of Biotechnology, 8: 5383 - 5388.
- Bates, L.S., Walden R.P. and Teare, I.D. 1973. Rapid determination of free proline for water studies. Plant and Soil, 39: 205-208.
- Bogale, A., Tesfaye, K. and Geleto, T. (2011). Morphological and physiological attributes associated to drought tolerance of Ethiopian durum wheat genotypes under water deficit condition. Journal of Biodiversity and Environmental Science, 1: 22 - 36.
- Chiulele, R.M. and Agenbag, G.A. (2004). Plant water relations and proline accumulation on two cowpea [Vigna unguiculata (L.) Walp.] cultivars as a response to water stress. South African Journal of Plant and Soil, 21: 109 - 113.
- De Ronde, J. A. and Spreeth, M.H. (2007). Development and evaluation of drought resistant mutant germplasm of Vigna unguiculata. Water South Africa, 33: 381 - 386.
- Duncan, D. B. (1955). Multiple range and multiple F-test. Biometrics, 11: 1 - 42.
- Farouk, S., Amira, M.S. and Qados, A. (2013). Osmotic adjustment and yield of cowpea in response to drought stress and chitosan. Indian Journal of Applied Research, 3: 1 - 7.
- Fatokun, C.A., Boukar, O. and Muranaka, S. (2012). Evaluation of cowpea [Vigna unguiculata (L.) Walp.] germplasm lines for tolerance to drought. Plant Genetic Resources, 10: 171 - 176.
- Goufo, P., Moutinho-Pereira, J.M., Jorge, T.F., Correia, C.M., Oliveira, M.R., Rosa, E. A. and Trindade, H. (2017). Cowpea [Vigna unguiculata L. Walp.] metabolomics: Osmoprotection as a physiological strategy for drought stress resistance and improved yield. Frontiers in Plant Science, 8: 586 - 608.
- Hayatu, M., Muhammad, S.Y. and Abdu, H.U. (2014). Effect of water stress on the leaf relative water content and yield of some cowpea [Vigna unguiculata (L) Walp.] genotypes. International Journal of Scientific and Technology Research, 3: 148 - 152.
- Kholova, J., Hash, C.T., Kumar, P.L., Yadav, R.S., Koèová, M. and Vadez, V. (2010). Terminal drought-tolerant pearl millet [Pennisetum glaucum (L.) R. Br.] have high leaf abscisic acid and limit transpiration at high vapour pressure deficit. Journal of Experimental Botany, 61: 1431 - 1440.
- Massawe, F.J., Mayes, S., Cheng, A., Chai, H.H., Cleasby, P., Symonds, R. and Yanusa, Y. (2015). The potential for underutilised crops to improve food security in the face of climate change. Procedia Environmental Sciences, 29: 140 141.
- Mia, M.W., Yamauchi, A. and Kono, Y. (1996). Root system structure of six food legume species: Inter- and intra-specific variations. Japanese Journal of Crop Science, 65, 131 - 140.
- Muchero, W., Ehlers, J.D. and Roberts, P.A. (2008). Seedling stage drought-induced phenotypes and drought-responsive genes in diverse cowpea genotypes. Crop Science, 48: 541 - 552.
- Muchero, W., Roberts, P.A., Diop, N.N., Drabo, I., Cisse, N., Close, T.J., Muranaka, S., Boukar, O. and Ehlers, J.D. (2013). Genetic architecture of delayed senescence, biomass, and grain yield under drought stress in cowpea. Plos One, 8: 1 -10.
- Payne, R.W., Murray, D.A., Harding, S.A., Baird, D.B. and Soutar, D.M. (2016). GenStat for Windows, 18th Edition, VSN International, Hemel Hempstead.
- Pungulani, L.L., Millner, J.P., Williams, W.M. and Banda, M. (2013). Improvement of leaf wilting scoring system in cowpea [Vigna unguiculata (L) Walp.]: From qualitative scale to quantitative index. Australian Journal of Crop Science, 7: 1262 - 1269.
- Purushothaman, R., Zaman-Allah, M., Mallikarjuna, N., Pannirselvam, R., Krishnamurthy, L. and Gowda, C.L.L. (2013). Root anatomical traits and their possible contribution to drought tolerance in grain legumes. Plant Production Science, 16: 1 - 8.
- Shinde, S.S., Kachare, D.P., Satbhai, R.D. and Naik, R.M. (2018). Water stress induced proline accumulation and antioxidative enzymes in groundnut (Arachis hypogaea). Legume Research, 41: 67-72
- Singh B.B., Mai-Kodomi, Y. and Terao, T. (1999). Relative drought tolerance of major rainfed crops of the semi-arid tropics. Indian Journal of Genetics, 59: 437 - 444.
- Zegaoui, Z., Planchais, S., Cabassa, C., Djebbar, R., Belbachir, O.A. and Carol, P. (2017). Variation in relative water content, proline accumulation and stress gene expression in two cowpea landraces under drought. Journal of Plant Physiology, 218: 26 - 34.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.