Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Antioxidative and root attributes response of chickpea parents and crosses under drought stress
First Online 29-04-2019|
- Aebi, H. (1984). Catalase in vitro. Methods in Enzymology, 105:121-126.
- Ali, Q., Ahsan, M. and Farooq, J. (2010). Genetic variability and trait association in chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) genotypes at seedling stage. Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, 1: 334-341.
- Aranjuelo, I., Molero, G., Erice, G., Avice and J.C., and Nogues, S. (2011). Plant physiology and proteomics reveals the leaf response to drought in alfalfa (Medicago sativa L.). Journal of Experimental Botany, 62: 111–123.
- Azcon, R., Gomez, M. and Tobar, R.M. (1996). Physiological and nutritional responses by Lactuca sativa L. to nitrogen sources and mycorrhizal fungi under drought conditions. Biology and Fertility of Soils, 22: 156–161.
- Bates, L.S., Waldren, R.P. and Teare, I.D. (1973). Rapid determination of free proline for water stress studies. Plant Soil, 39: 205-207.
- Castillo, F.I., Penel, I. and Greppin, H. (1984). Peroxidase release induced by ozone in Sedum album leaves. Plant Physiology, 74: 846-851.
- Dandekar, A.M. and Uratsu, S.L. (1988). A simple base pair change in proline biosynthesis genes causes osmotic stress tolerance. Journal of Bacteriology, 170: 5943–5945.
- Dhindsa, R.A., Dhindsa, P.P. and Thorpe, T.A. (1981). Leaf senescence correlation with increase permeability and lipid peroxidation and decrease level of superoxide dismutase and catalase. Journal of Experimental Botany, 126: 93-101.
- FAOSTAT (2013) Statistical database. FAO, Rome, Italy. http://faostat3.fao. org/home/index.html.
- Garg, N. and Singla, R. (2007). Germination index, growth rate, photosynthetic pigments and ammonia assimilating enzymes of desi and kabuli chickpea under salinity stress. Legume Research, 30: 157 – 165.
- Hageman, R.H. and Hucklesby, D.P. (1971). Nitrate reductase from higher plants. Methods in Enzymology, 23: 491-493.
- Hasegawa, P.M., Bressan, R.A., Zhu, J.K. and Bohnert, H.J. (2000). Plant cellular and molecular responses to high salinity. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology, 51: 463-499.
- Hayzer, D.J. and Leisinger, T. (1980). The gene and enzyme relationships of proline biosynthesis in Escherichia coli. Journal of General Microbiology, 118: 287-293.
- Heath, R.L. and Packer, L. (1968). Photoperoxidation in isolated chloroplasts: kinetics and stoichiometry of fatty acid peroxidation. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, 125: 189-198.
- Henderson, J.C. and Davies- Jr, F.T. (1990). Drought acclimation and the morphology of mycorrhizal Rosa hybrids L. cv. ‘Ferdy’ independent of leaf elemental content. New Phytologist, 175: 503-510.
- Huang, J., Hirji, R., Adam, L., Rozwadowski, K.L., Hammerlindl, J.K., Keller and W.A, Selvaraj, G. (2000). Genetic engineering of glycine betaine production toward enhancing stress tolerance in plants: metabolic limitations. Plant Physiology, 122: 747-756.
- Iqbal, N., Umar, S. and Khan, N.A. (2014). Photosynthetic differences in mustard genotypes under salinity stress: significance of proline metabolism. Annual Research and Review in Biology, 4: 3274-3296.
- Kashiwagi, J., Krishnamurthy, L., Crouch, J.H. and Serraj, R. (2006). Variability of root length density and its contributions to seed yield in chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) under terminal drought stress. Field Crops Research, 95: 171–181.
- Kaur, K., Kaur, N., Gupta, A.K. and Singh, I. (2013). Exploration of the antioxidative defense system to characterize chickpea genotypes showing differential response towards water deficit conditions. Plant Growth Regulation, 70: 49–60.
- Kishor, P.B.K., Sangam, S., Amrutha, R.N., Laxmi, P.S., Naidu, K.R., Rao, K.S. (2005). Regulation of proline biosynthesis, degradation, uptake and transport in higher plants: its implications in plant growth and abiotic stress tolerance. Current Science, 88: 424-438.
- Kumar, J. and Abbo, S. (2001). Genetics of flowering time in chickpea and its bearing on productivity in semiarid environments. Advances in Agronomy, 72: 107-138.
- Nakano, Y. and Asada, K. (1981). Hydrogen peroxide is scavenged by ascorbate specific peroxidase in spinach chloroplast. Plant and Cell Physiology, 22: 867-880.
- Noctor, G., Mhamdi, A., Foyer, C.H. (2014). The roles of reactive oxygen metabolism in drought: not so cut and dried. Plant Physiology, 164: 1636–1648.
- Noori, M., Azar, A.M., Saidi, M., Panahandeh, J. and Haghi, D.Z. (2018). Evaluation of water deficiency impacts on antioxidant enzymes activity and lipid peroxidation in some tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L.) lines. Indian Journal of Agricultural Research, 52: 228-235
- Patel, P.K., Hemantaranjan, A. and Sarma, B.K. (2012). Effect of salicylic acid on growth and metabolism of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) under drought stress. Indian Journal of Plant Physiology, 17: 151-157.
- Sanchez, E., Garcia, P.C., Lopez-Lefebre, L.R., Rivero, R.M., Ruiz, J.M. and Romero, L. (2002). Proline metabolism in response to nitrogen deficiency in French bean plants (Phaseolus vulgaris L. cv Strike). Plant Growth Regulation, 36: 261–265.
- Singh, T.P., Deshmukh, P.S., Tyagi, R.K. and Dutta, M. (2013). Morpho-physiological evaluation of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) cultivars under restricted soil moisture conditions. Indian Journal of Plant Genetic Resources, 26: 162–165.
- Singh, P., Jaiswal, S., Sheokand, S. and Duhan, S. (2018). Morpho-physiological and oxidative responses of nitrogen and phosphorus deficiency in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Indian Journal of Agricultural Research, 52: 40-45
- Stumpf, D.K. (1984). Quantitation and purification of quarternary ammonium compounds from halophyte tissue. Plant Physiology, 75: 273-274.
- Vadez, V., Krishnamurthy, L., Thudi, M., Anuradha, C., Colmer, T.D., Turner, N.C., Siddique, K.H.M., Gaur, P.M. and Varshney, R.K. (2012). Assessment of ICCV 2 x JG 62 chickpea progenies shows sensitivity of reproduction to salt stress and reveals QTL for seed yield and yield components. Molecular Breeding, 30: 9–21.
- Varshney, R.K., Pazhamala, L., Kashiwagi, J., Gaur, P.M., Krishnamurthy, L. and Hoisington, D.A. (2011). Genomics and physiological approaches for root trait breeding to improve drought tolerance in chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.). In: Root genomics de Oliveira AD, Varshney RK (eds). Springer, Germany. pp. 233–250
- Vineeth, T.V., Kumar, P., Singh, J. (2017). Bioregulators protected the leaf anatomy and photosynthetic machinery under water deficit stress in chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.). Legume Research, 40: 250-256
- Verdoy, D., Pena, C.D.L., Redondo, F.J., Lucas, M.M. and Pueyo, J.J. (2006). Transgenic Medicago truncatula plants that accumulates proline display nitrogen fixing activity with enhanced tolerance to osmotic stress. Plant, Cell and Environment, 29: 1913-192
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.