Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Seed quality enhancement through seed priming in pigeonpea [Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp.]
First Online 04-02-2017|
Experiment was conducted in the Seed Testing Laboratory during 2013 and 2014 at RARS, UAS Campus, Vijayapur, Karnataka State. The seeds were primed by soaking in different leaf extracts and chemical solution for one hour and then decanted the extracts and seeds were air dried under the shade to bring back to their original moisture content and used for seed quality studies. Seed germination was significantly influenced by age of the seeds and its interaction with botanicals and chemicals. Among the treatments, botanicals viz., Prosopis leaf extracts @ 2per cent recorded higher seed germination followed by Pongamia leaf extract @ 2per cent. Whereas, in chemicals higher germination was seen in KNO3@ 0.5 per cent but at par with CaCl2 .2H2O @ 2 per cent. Lower seed germination was obtained with water soaked and control. The present investigation indicate that, seed priming with 2.0 per cent Prosopis leaf extract for one hours soaking enhanced the seed and seedling quality characters, and hence it could be adopted as a pre-sowing seed priming treatment in pigeon pea.
- Abdul-Baki AA and Anderson JD (1973), Vigour determination in soybean by multiple criteria. J. Crop Sci., 13:630-633.
- Doijode, S. D. (1988), Comparison of storage of frenchbean seeds under ambient conditions, Seed Res.16: 245-247.
- ISTA (1999), International Rules for eed testing, Seed Sci. and Technol., Suppliment Rules. 27: 25-30.
- IAT Diary (2015) Final advance estimates of area,production and yield of important agricultural crops in Karantaka pp80.
- Heydecker W and Coolbear P. (1978). Seed treatments for improved performance-survey and attempted prognosis. Seed Sci. Technol. 5: 353-425.
- Jyotsna V and Srivastava AK. (1998 ). Physiological basis of salt stress resistance in pigeonpea (Cajanuscajan L.)-II. Pre- sowing seed soaking treatment in regulating early seedling metabolism during seed germination, Plant Physiol. Biochem. 25: 89-94.
- Liptay A and Zariffa N. (1993), Testing the morphological aspects of polyethylene glycol-primed tomato seeds with proportional odds analysis. Hort.Sci. 28:881-883.
- Liu Q, Hilhorst HWM, Groot SPC and Bino RJ. (1997) Amounts of nuclear DNA and internal morphology of gibberellin- and abscisic acid-deficient tomato (Lycopersiconesculentum Mill.) seeds during maturation, imbibition and germination. Ann. Bot. 79: 161-168.
- Nadeem Binzia., (1992). Investigation of the chemical constituents of Prosopis juliflora and circular Dichroismic studies of cholestano Quinaxaliner..Ph.D thesis, NEJ Research Institute of Chemistry, University of Karachi, Pakistan.
- Perry DA (1984). Factors Influencing the Establishment of Cereal Crops.Aspects Applied Biol.7: 65-83.
- Rangaswamy, A, Purushothaman, S. and Devasenapaty, P. (1993). . Seed hardening in relation to seedling quality characters of the crop. Madras Agric. J.,80:535-537.
- Renugadevi, J., Natarajan, N. and Srimathi, P. (2008). Efficacy of botanicals in improving seeds and seedling quality characteristics of Cluster bean. Legume Res., 31:164–168.
- Vijaya, J. (1996). Standardization of pre-sowing seed management techniques for pulses M.Sc.,(Ag.) Thesis, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore – 3.
- Vijaya geethaV. and Bhaskaran M. (2013) Mochai Seed quality enhancement techniques under rainfed conditions of Tribal habitations of Hosur Forest Division, American International Journal of Research in Formal, Applied & Natural Sciences, 4(1), September-November, 2013, pp. 28-32.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.