Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Influence of seed pelleting on seed quality improvement in redgram (Cajanus cajan L.)
First Online 21-12-2015|
Redgram is a protein rich staple food and contains about 22 per cent protein, which is almost three times that of cereals. Pelleting is a presowing physical seed management technique, in which growth promotive substances with protective, nutritive and invigourative function are applied on the seed to enhance the seed-soil relationship. To evaluate the efficacy of herbal powders for seed pelleting, studies were initiated with redgram cv. CO 7 with Carboxy methyl cellulose adhesive @ 200 ml per kilogram of seed and were coated with the herbal powders viz., noni (Morinda citrifolia ), tulasi (Ocimum sanctum) and gallnut (Terminalia chebula) @ 200 g kg-1 of seed. The pelleted seed evaluated for the effect of seed invigouration, nursery emergence and storability along with unpelleted reviled that tulasi leaf powder followed by noni improved the seedling vigour and field emergence. At field pelleted seed has enhanced chlorophyll index highlighting the efficacy of the treatment. The treated seed also stored well upto one month with restoration of all evaluated seed quality characters.
- Abdul Baki, A. and Anderson, J.D. (1973). Vigour determination in soybean seed by multiple criteria. Crop Sci.,13: 630-633.
- Anbarasu, K. and Vijayalakshmi, G. (2007). Improved shelf life of protein-rich tofu using Ocimum sanctum (tulsi) extracts to benefit Indian rural population. J. Food Sci., 72:300-305.
- Angamuthu, K. (1991). Studies on seed pelleting, physiological and sowing quality and storage in small millets. M.Sc (Ag.) Thesis, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore.
- Arati, P. (2000). Influence of containers and seed treatment on storability of chickpea. M.Sc. (Agric.) Thesis. University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad.
- ASSOCHAM. (2012). Study paper on “Emerging pulses scenerio in 2015 - productivity, awareness and affordability to drive pulses economy in India”. The Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India, New Delhi, India. pp 1 – 18.
- Balaji, D.S. (1990). Studies on the seed soil relationship in certain paddy, greengram, soyabean, red gram, sunflower, groundnut and cotton. M.Sc., (Ag.) Thesis, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore.
- Barua, R.S. (1994). Use of biofertilizers and its effect on seedlings growth. Indian Forester, 120: 314-318.
- Bashyam, S. (1999). Seed quality testing and management procedures in three important condiments of coriander, fennel and fenugreek. M.Sc. (Ag.) Thesis, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore.
- Hossain, I., Suratuzzaman, M. and Khalil, M.I. (1999). Seed heath of soybean and control of seed born fungi with botanicals. Bangladesh J. Train. Develop., 12:99-105.
- ISTA. (2010). International Rules for Seed Testing: ISTA, Bassersdorf, Switzerland.
- Kelm, M.A., Nair, M.G., Strasburg, G.M. and DeWitt, D.L. (2000). Antioxidant and cyclooxygenase inhibitory phenolic compounds from Ocimum sanctum Linn. Phytomedicine, 7:7–13.
- Khatun, A., Kabir, G., Bhuiyan, M.A.H. and Khanam, D. (2011). Effect of preserved seeds using different botanicals on seed quality of lentil. Bangladesh J. Agric. Res., 36:381-387.
- Kokila, N. (2012). Influence of integrated seed production techniques on seed yield and quality of green gram cv. CO 7. M.Sc. (Ag.) Thesis, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore.
- Lu, S., Ming, D. and Jiang, T. (1983). A preliminary report on the effect of CaCO3 pelleted seeds of Chinese milk vetch on its yield. Shanghai Agric. Sci. and Technol., 6: 9170-9173.
- Maguire, J.D. (1962). Speed of germination-aid in selection and evaluation for seedling emergence and vigour. Crop Sci., 2:176-177.
- Malarkodi. K. (2003). Integrated management techniques for seed storage in greengram (Vigna radiate l. Wilczek). Ph.D. Thesis, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore.
- Maraddi, B. (2002). Influence of growth regulators on seed yield and quality and seed treatments on storabilityof cowpea cv. C-252, M.Sc. (Agri.) Thesis. University of Agricultural Sciences. Dharwad.
- Mathivanan, S., Chidambaram, A., Sundaramoorthy, P. and Kalaikandhan, R. (2012). Effect of vermicompost on germination and biochemical constituents of groundnut (Arachis hypogaea. L.) seedling. Int. J. of Res. in Biol. Sci., 2: 54-59.
- Muruganantham, K. (1996). Influence of seed pelletisaiton on viability, vigour and production in rice fallow cotton cv. MCU 7. M.Sc., (Ag.) Thesis, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore.
- Nargis, S. (1995). Influence of pelleting, magnetic treatments and radiation on the performance of differentially aged seeds in tomato (Lycopesicum esculentum) mill. cv. PKM. M.Sc.(Ag.) Thesis, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore.
- Panse, V.G. and P. V. Sukatme. (1985). Statistical methods for agricultural workers. ICAR, New Delhi, p. 359.
- Parameswari, K., Srimathi, P. and Malarkodi, K. (2001). Infuence of biofertilizer pelletization on elite seedling production of tamarind (Tamarindus indica) in nursery. Seed Res., 29: 58-62.
- Pattanayak. P., Behera, P., Das, D. and Panda, S. K. (2010). Ocimum sanctum Linn. A reservoir plant for therapeutic applications: An overview. Pharmacogn Rev., 4: 95–105.
- Peterhalmer, (2003). Enhancing seed performance for better yield and quality. Asian seed and Planting Material, 10: 4-6.
- Prasad, K. N. (1994). Studies on certain aspects of seed management in soybean (Glycine max L) merill. Ph.D. thesis, TNAU, Coimbatore.
- Presley, J.T. (1958). Relationship of protoplast permeability of cotton seed viability and predisposition of seedling disease. Pl. Dis. Reptr., 42: 582.
- Renugadevi, J. (1992). Studies on seed treatment and storage in ashgourd (Bennincasa hispide Thump), bittergourd (Momordica chorentia Lin) and ribbedgourd (Hulfa acarangula) seeds. M.Sc. (Ag), Thesis, TNAU, Coimbatore.
- Scott, J.M. (1989). Seed coating treatments and their effects on plant establishment. Adv. Agron., 32: 43-83.
- Selvakumar, G., S. Reetha and Thamizhiniyan, P. (2012). Response of biofertilizers on growth, yield attributes and associated protein profiling changes of blackgram (Vigna mungo L. Hepper). World Appl. Sci. J., 16: 1368-1374.
- Sumathi, S. (2010). Studies on seed production, post harvest handling and seed testing in Psoralea corylifolia. Ph.D. (Ag.) Thesis, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore-3.
- Suryaprakash, D. V., Sreesatya, N., Avanigadda, S. and Vangalapati, M. (2012). Pharmacological Review on Terminalia chebula. Int. J. of Res. In Phaarmaceutical and biomedical Sciences, 3: 679-683.
- Umarani. R. (1998). Studies on the physiological and biochemical basis of seed germination and deterioration of Casuarina equisetifolia. Ph.D. thesis, TNAU, Coimbatore.
- Vanangamudi, K., Sasthri, G., Kalaivani, S., Selvakumar, A., Mallika, V. and Srimathi, P. (2010). Seed quality enhancement. In: Seed pelleting, (eds. Renugadevi, J. and M. Jayanthi). Scientific Publishers India, pp. 178-206.
- Wang, M.Y., West, B. J., Jensen, C. J., Nowicki, D., Chen, S.U., Palu, A. and Anderson, G. (2002). Morinda citrifolia (Noni): A literature review and recent advances in noni research. Act a Pharmacol. Sin., 23: 1127-1141.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.