Estimation of mean performance and genetic association of yield components and drought related traits in chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.)
Citation :- Estimation of mean performance and genetic association of yield components and drought related traits in chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.).Legume Research-An International Journal.2015.(38):85-90
This study was conducted to evaluate the effect of drought stress on 22 chickpea genotypes and one check by analyzing ecophysiological traits in field condition. Field experiments were carried out during 2009-2010 in two separate irrigated and non-irrigated conditions with randomized complete block design in three replications. Yield and yield components (RWC) were measured in each experiment, separately. Drought resistance indices of Relative water content (RWC) and membrance stability index (MSI) were recorded under rainfed condition. Results indicated that values of studied traits significantly decreased in non-irrigated experiment compared to irrigated one. Correlation analysis revealed that grain yield/plant had significant genotypic and highly significant phenotypic relationship with number of pods/plant, number of seeds/pod, harvest index and biological yield/plant. Therefore, it is suggested that these traits should be used as selection criteria for yield improvement in chickpea.
Cicer arietinum L.
- Al-Jibouri, H.A. Miller, P.A. and Robinson, H.F. (1958). Genotypic and environmental variance in upland cotton cross of interspecific origin. Agronomy Journal, 50 : 633-637.
- Amandeep Singh and Sandhu, J.S. (2008). Correlation and path analysis in chickpea under different environments. Journal of Food Legume, 21(2): 145-148.
- Bhavani, A.P. Sasidharan, N. Shukla, Y.M. and Bhatt, M.M. (2008). Correlation studies and path analysis in chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.). Research on Crops, 9(3): 657-660.
- Chaturvedi, S.K. and Dua, D.P. (2003). Breeding chickpea for late sown conditions in northen India. International Chickpea Conferance, Netherland,. 24-26.
- Deshmukh, P.S. Sairam, R.K. Sunita Kumari, Kushwaha, S.R. and Pankaj Kumar. (2000). Physiological traits for yield improvement of chickpea in drought prone environments. In: National Seminar on Plant Physiology at Interface of Agri-horticultur and industry held at 20 Dec., 1999 to Ist Jan., 2000, RAU, Udaipur, India, Pp.104.
- Duarte I Cordeiro A I de-Sousa, M.M.T. Monjardino, P. de-Camara A and Carnide V. (2000). Chickpea breeding for drought tolerance. Breeding for stress tolerance in fodder crops and amenity grasses. Proceeding of the 23rd Meeting of the Fodder Crops and Amenity Grasses Section of EUCARPIA, Azores, Portugal, 1-4) October, 2000., Pp. 157-161.
- Goyal, V. Jain, S. Bishnoi, N.R. and Munjal, R. (2000). Department of botany and Plant Physiology, CCS Haryana Agric. Univ., Hisar.
- Gupta, S.C. Rathore, A.K. Sharma, S.N. and Saini, R.S. (2000). Response of chickpea cultivars to water stress. Indian Journal of Plant Physiology, 5(3): 274-276.
- Johansen C Krishnamurthy L Saxena N P and Sethi S C. (1994). Genotypic variation in moisture response of chickpea grown under source sprinklers in a semi-arid tropical environment. Field Crops Research, 37: 103-112.
- Levitt. (1980). Responses of plants to environmental stresses. II. Radiation, salt and other stresses (2nd edn.). Academic Press New York.
- Mamun Hossain, A.R.M. and Joarder, N. (1987). Studies on some mechanical cells in the basal internode of some rice cultivars in relation to lodging. Pakistan Journal of Agriculture Resarch, 8: 24-28.
- Panse, V.G. and P.V. Sukhatme. (1964). Statistical Methods for Agricultural Research Workers. ICAR., New Delhi, .381.
- Quisenberry, J.E. (1982). Breeding for drought resistance and plant water efficiency. In: Breeding Plants for Less Favorable Environments’. (Eds. Christiansen MN and Lewis, CP John Wiley Publishers: New York).
- Rao, Y.K. Durga, K.K. and Reddy, M.V. (2003). Performance of chickpea genotypes under irrigated and unirrigated conditions. International Chickpea Conference, Raipur, India, January 20-22, Pp. 31.
- Sahane, D.V. Mhase, L.B. and Jamadagni, B.M. (2003). Performance of desi and kabuli chickpea genotypes under irrigated and rainfed conditions. International Chickpea Conferance, Raipur, India, January 20-22, Pp.92.
- Singh, R.K. and Chaudhary. B.P. (1977). Biometrical Methods in Quantitative Genetic Analysis. Kalyani Publishers, Ludhiana: 304.
- Talwar, H.S. Chandra Sekhar, A. and Nageshwara Rao, R.C. (2002). Genotypic variability in membrane thermostability in groundnut. Indian Journal of Plant Physiology, 7 (2): 97-102.
- Turner, N.C. Leport, L. and Siddique, K.H.M. (2003). Adoption of chickpea to drought. International Chickpea Conferance, Raipur, India, January 20-22, Pp.84.
- Vekariya, D.H. Pithia, M.S. and Kalawadia, R.L. (2008). Correlation and path analysis in F2 generation of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.). Research on Crops, 9(2): 371-374.