Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Effect of tillage and crop residues management on lentil (Lens culinaris L.) yield, some yield components and weed density in rainfed areas of Turkey
First Online 29-12-2015|
To study various forms of tillage and residue management, and the timing of such operations for lentil (Lens culinaris, L) agriculture after wheat (Triticum turgidum sp. durum) harvest in rainfed areas of South-East Anatolia Region of Turkey, ten different treatments were evaluated for three years from 2002 to 2005. According to statically analysis results of data obtained from experiment, the effect of treatments on weed density was significant. Secondary tillage after rainfall reduced both grassy and broadleaf weed density. The residue burning didn’t significantly reduce weed density. Late plantings gave significantly higher lentil seed yield than early plantings. The T9 treatment which was residue chopping + summer chisel + cultivator after rainfall + late planting gave the highest grain yield and net benefit. The other treatments were dominated due to less net benefit and higher costs that vary. Therefore, they were considered as uneconomical treatments.
- Aleman, F. (2001). Common bean response to tillage intensity and weed control strategies. Agron. J. 93: 556-563
- Altikat, S. and Celik, A. (2011).The effects of tillage and intra-row compaction on seedbed properties and red lentil emergence under dry land conditions. Soil & Tillage Research 114:1–8
- Altikat, S. (2013). The effects of reduced tillage and compaction level on the red lentil yield. Bulgarian Journal of Agricultural Science, 19:1161-1169
- Anonymous (2014). Conservation of natural resources for sustainable. agriculture what you should know about. soil moisture management successful water management in drylands effects of Ca on soil water. http://www.fao.org/ag/ca/ training_ materials/cd27-english/ sm/soil_moisture.pdf.
- Asefa, T., Tanner, D., Bennie A.T.P. (2004). Effects of stubble management tillage and cropping sequence on wheat production in the south-eastern highlands of Ethiopia. Soil Tillage Res. 76: 69-82
- Bicer, B., T. (2009). The effect of seed size on yield and yield components of chickpea and lentil. African Journal of Biotechnology, 8: 1482 – 1487.
- Bilbro, J.D. and Wanjura, D.F. (1982). Soil crust and cotton emergence relationships. Trans. ASAE, 25:1484-1487.
- Camara, K.M., Payne, W.A., Rasmussen. P.E. (2003). Long-Term effect of tillage. nitrogen and rainfall on winter wheat yields in the Pacific Northwest. Agronomy Journal 95: 828-835
- Cantero-Martinez, C., Angas, P., Lampurlanes, L. (2007). Long-term yield and water use efficiency under various tillage systems in Mediterranean rainfed conditions. Ann. Appl. Biol. 150: 293-305
- Ellis, R. H., Roberts, E.H. (1980). Towards rational basis for testing seed quality, Hebblethwaite, P. D. (Ed.), Seed Production, Butterworths, London, 605–635.
- Dale, M.R.T., Thomas, A.G., John, E.A. (1992). Environmental factors including management practices as correlates of community composition in spring seeded crops. J. Bot. 70:1931-1939.
- David, P. (1992). Estimating residue cover. In Conservation tillage systems and management. Crop residue management with no-till. ridge-till. much-till. MidWest Plan Service. pp. 15-20
- Durutan, N., Guler M., Karaca, M., Meyveci, K., Avcin, A. and Eyuboglu, H. (1989). Effect of various components of the management package on weed control in dryland agriculture. In soil and crop management of Improved Water Use Efficiency in Rainfed Areas. Proceedings of an International Workshop. May 15-19. 1989. Ankara. Turkey
- Farahani, H.J., Peterson, G.A. and Westfall, D.G. (1998). Dryland cropping intensification: a fundamental solution to efficient use of precipitation. Advances in Agronomy. 64:198-223
- Golezanik, G., Aliloo, A. A., Valizadeh, M. and Moghaddam, M. (2008). Effects of hydro and osmo-priming on seed germination and field emergence of lentil (Lens culinaris Medik.) Not. Bot. Hort. Agrobot. Cluj 36: 29-33.
- Hatfield, J.L., Buhler, D.D. and Steward, B.A. (1998). Integrated weed and soil management. Ann Arbor Press. Ann Arbor. MI pp. 223-246
- Heenan, D.P., Taylor, A.C. and Leys, A.R. (1990). The influence of tillage stubble management and crop rotation on persistence of great brome (Bromus diandrus Roth). Aust. J. Exp. Agric. 30: 227-230
- Hernanz, J.L. and Sanchez-Giron, V.S. (1988). Experiments on the growing of cereals with different tillage systems in central Spain. In Proceeding of the 11th International Conference of the International Soil Tillage Research Organization. 11-15 July 1988. Edinburgh. Scodland
- Hooker, D.C., Vyn, T.J. and Swanton, C.J. (2000). Effectiveness of soil applied herbicides with weed control for conservation tillage systems. Agron. J. 89: 579-587
- Hussain, I., K. R. Olson and S. A. Ebelhar. (1999). Impacts of tillage and no-till production of maize and soybean on an eroded Illinois silt loam soil. Soil & Tillage Research 52:37-49
- Karamanos, A.J., Bilalis, D. and Sidiras, N. (2004). Effect of reduced tillage and fertilization practices on soil characteristics. plant water status. growth and yield of upland cotton. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science. 190: 262-265
- Kayan, N. and Adak, M.S. (2006) Effect of soil tillage and weed control methods on weed biomass and yield of lentil (Lens culinaris Medic.), Archives of Agronomy and Soil Science, 52: 697-704,
- Korucu, T., Arslan S., Günal H. and ªahin M. (2009). Spatial and temporal variation of soil moisture content and penetration resistance as affected by post harvest period and stubble burning of wheat. Fresenius Environmental Bulletin. 18:1736-1747
- Laflen, J. M., Baker, J. L., Hartwig R. O., Buchele, W. F. and Johnson H. P. (1978). Soil and water loss from conservation tillage systems. Transaction of ASAE. 21: 881"885
- Lahmar, R., Arrue J.L., Denardin J.E., Gupta R.K., Ribeiro M.S.F. and Tourdonnet S. 2007. Knowledge assessment and sharing on sustainable agriculture. CD-Rom. CIRAD. Montpellier. ISBN 978:-2-87614-646-4.
- Lal, R. 1989. Conservation tillage for sustainable agricultural: tropics versus temperate environments. Advances in Agronomy. 42: 85-197.
- Lopez, M.V., Arrue, J.L. and Sanchez-Giron, V. (1996). A comparison between seasonal changes in soil water storage and penetration resistance under conventional and conservation tillage systems in Aragon. Soil and Tillage Res. 37: 251-271.
- Moreno, F., F. Pelegrin, J. E. Fernandez and J. M. Murillo. (1997). Soil physical properties, water depletion and crop development under traditional and conservation tillage in southern Spain. Soil & Tillage Research 41:25-42.
- Onal, I. and Aykas, E. (1993). The effects of some pto-driven rotary tillers on the soil wheat growth and operational characteristics under the conditions of Aegean region. In: 5th. Int. Congress on Mech. and Energy in Agriculture, 11–14 October, Kusadasý, Turkey.
- Ortega, A.L., Sayre, K.D. and Francis, C.A. (2000). Wheat and maize yields in response to straw management and nitrogen under a bed planting system. Agron J. 92: 295-302.
- Osunbitan, J.A., Oyedele, D. J. and Adekalu, K.O. (2005). Tillage effects on bulk density hydraulic conductivity and strength of a loam sand soil in southwestern Nigeria. Soil Tillage Res. 82:57-64.
- Ozpinar, S. and Cay A. (2006). Effect of different tillage systems on quality and crop productivity of a clay-loam soil in semi-arid north-western Turkey. Soil Tillage Res. 92: 69-78.
- Ozturk, H. H., Ekinci K., Barut, Z.B. (2006). Energy Analysis of the Tillage Systems in second crop corn production. J. Sus. Agr. 28:25- 37.
- Pala, M., Harris, H.C., Ryan, J., Makboul, R. and Dozom S. (2000). Tillage systems and stubble management in a mediterranean-type environment in relation to crop yield and soil moisture. Expl Agric.. 36: 223-242.
- Pelegrin, F., Moreno, F., Martin,A. and Camps, M. (1990). The Influence of tillage methods on soil physical properties and water balance for a typical crop rotation in SW Spain. Soil and Tillage Res. 16: 345-358.
- Perrin, R.K., Winkelmann, D.L., Moscardi E.R. and Anderson, J.R. (1976). From agronomic data to farmer recommendations: an economics training manual. El Batan. Mexico.
- Rasmussen, P.E., Rohde C.R. (1988). Stubble burning effects on winter wheat yield and nitrogen utilization under semiarid condition. Agron. J. 80: 940-942
- Sandoval-Avila, D.M., Michaels, T.E., Murphy S.D. and Swanton C.J. (1994). Effect of tillage practices and planting patterns on performance of white bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) in Ontario. Can. J. Plant Sci. 74: 801-805.
- Sayre, K.D., Mezzalama M. and Martinez M. (2001). Tillage crop rotation and crop residue management effects on maize and wheat production for rainfed conditions in the altiplano of central mexico. Proceedings of the First World Congress on Conservation Agriculture. 1-5 October 2001. Madred.
- Sessiz, A., Söðüt T., Alp A. and Esgici R. (2008). Tillage effects on sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.) emergence, yield, quality, and fuel consumptýon in double cropping system. Journal of Central European Agriculture, 9:697-710.
- Unger, P.W. and Mc Calla R.M. (1980). Conservation tillage systems. Advances in Agronomy. 33:1-58
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.