INFLUENCE OF GENOTYPES AND METHODS OF PRODUCTION ON GROWTH AND SEED YIELD IN RICE (Oryza sativa L.)
Citation :- INFLUENCE OF GENOTYPES AND METHODS OF PRODUCTION ON GROWTH AND SEED YIELD IN RICE (Oryza sativa L.).Indian Journal Of Agricultural Research.2012.(46):331-337
Aerobic rice is an alternative rice production system that requires less water and increased productivity. The field experiment was conducted in order to evaluate the performance of the selected rice genotypes both under aerobic and puddle conditions. The plants grown under puddle condition were significantly taller (IRRI 292 -116.93 cm) than in aerobic condition (IRRI 14 - 66.50 cm). Significantly higher number of productive tillers was produced under aerobic condition with BI 33 (24.87). Similarly, number of filled seeds was also significantly higher in aerobic condition in IRRI 292 (146.17). Seed setting (IRRI 292- 96.27 %) and seed recovery BI 27 (97.61 %) was comparatively better in puddle condition. Among 10 genotypes tested, IRRI 14 (6.11 t/ha and 6.26 t/ha) recorded significantly higher yield under both aerobic and puddle condition. Thus, the seed production under aerobic condition can be encouraged which enhances the seed yield and also water use efficiency.
- Anonymous, (1996), Intergovermental Panel on Climate change, the science of climate change, Cambridge (UK): Cambridge University press, 572p.
- Chakrabarty, S. P., Vamadevan, B.K. and Shinde, J. E., (1974), Soil fertility in relation to water management in rice cultivation. Oryza, 11 (2): 33-38.
- Das, D.K. and Jal, R. L., (1977). Influence of three soil water regimes on root porosity and growth of four rice varieties. Agron. J., 69: 197-200.
- IRRI, (1993), Rice research in a time of change.IRRI Manila, Philippines, 72p.
- Nagaraj, (2003), Rural block demonstration results. Experiences in aerobic rice cultivation, pp: 22-23.
- Nagaraj, N.,( 2004), Methods and techniques of aerobic rice cultivation. Experiences in aerobic rice cultivation. pp: 1-5.
- Narayanaswamy, S., (1998), Seed recovery during processing of some field crops. Seed Res., 26(2): 201-203.
- Thomas, V.C., Varughese, K. and Thomas, A., (2003), Influence of irrigation, nutrient management, and seed priming on yield and quality attributes of upland rice. IRRN., 28(2): 16-17.
- Gangwar, K. S., Sharma, S.K., Tomar, O.K. and Pandey, D.K., (2005), Effect of rice crop establishment methods on hybrid rice productivity in northwest India. IRRN., 30(2): 42-43.