MODELLING SOIL WATER CHARACTERISTICS OF AN INLAND VALLEY SOIL
Citation :- MODELLING SOIL WATER CHARACTERISTICS OF AN INLAND VALLEY SOIL .Indian Journal Of Agricultural Research.2012.(46):317-323
Measured soil characteristics data served as an input to the model to generate the simulated data, subsequently compared and subjected to coefficient of determination (R2) to serve as a goodness-of-fit measurement. The soils textural class varied from Sand, Loamy sand and Sandy loam. There was a good fit between the measured and simulated soil water characteristics for Sandy loam and Sand texture class. For sandy loam soil (R2 = 0.77, Pisture content. A poor fit was observed for loamy sand soil and saturated for hydraulic conductivity for all the textural classes.
Coefficient of determination (R2)
- Arya, L.M. and Dierolf, T.S. (1992). Predicting soil moisture characteristics from particle-size distribution: An improved method to calculate pore radii. 115-124. In Proc. Int. Worhsh. On Indirect methods of estimating the hydraulic properties of unsaturated soils, van Genuchten et al.(ed) Riverside, CA. 11-13 0ct. 1989. U.S. Salinity Lab., Riverside.
- Bouma, J. (1989). Using soil survey data for quantitative land evaluation. Adv. Soil Sci. 9:177–213. FAO/UNESCO (1973). Soil classification manual.
- Fredlund, M.D., Wilson, G.W. and Fredlund, D.G. (2002). Use of grain size distribution for estimation of the soil water characteristics curve. Can. Geotechn. J., 39:1103-1117.
- Gijsman, A.J., Jagtap, S.S. and Jones, J.W. (2002). “Wading through a swamp of complete confusion: how to choose a method for estimating soil water retention parameters for crop models,” European J. Agro., 18:75-105.
- Grossman R.B. and Reinsch T.G. (2002). Bulk density and linear extensibility: Core method. In: Methods of Soil Analysis. Dane, J.H. and Topp, G.C. (Eds.), Part 4. Physical Methods. SSSA, Inc., Madison, WI, 208–228.
- Institute of Agricultural Research and Training (IAR&T). (2010). Rainfall data for the last 10 years for the prediction of time of planting. Annual in-house report for 2009/2010 of the Institute of Agricultural Research and Training, Moor Plantation, Ibadan.
- Hwang, S.I. and Powers S. (2003). Using particle-size distribution models to estimate soil hydraulic properties. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 67:1103–1112.
- Lowery B., Arshad M.A. and Lal R. (1996). Soil water parameters and soil quality. In: Doran JW, and Jones AJ. (eds.), Methods for Assessing Soil Quality. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. Spec. Publication 49, SSSA, Madison, WI, 143–157.
- Rawls, W.J., Brakensiek, D.L. and Saxton, K.E. (1982b). Soil water characteristics. Trans. ASAE 25(5):13l6-1328.
- Ritchie, J.T. (1981). Soil water availability. Plant Soil 58:327-338.
- Saxton, K.E., Rawls, W.J., Romberger, J.S. and Papendick, R.I. (1986). Estimating generalized soil water characteristics from texture. Trans. ASAE 50:1031–1035.
- Saxton, K.E. and Rawls, W.J. (2006). Soil water characteristics estimates by texture and organic matter for hydrologic solutions. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 70:1569-1578.
- Smyth, A.J. and Montgomery R.F. (1962). Soil and Land Use in Central Western Nigeria. Govt. Printer, Ibadan, 265.
- Tanji, K.K. (1990). Agricultural Salinity Assessment and Management. Amer. Soc. Civil Engr, New York, NY., 619.
- USDA-SCS. (1982). Procedures for collecting soil samples and methods of analysis for soil survey. Soil Survey Investigations Report I, Washington, DC.
- Willmott, C.J. (1981). On the validation of models. Phys. Geogr. 2, 184-194.