PHARACOKINETICS AND URINARY EXCRETION OF PARACETAMOL FOLLOWING INTRAVENOUS ADMINISTRATION IN BUFFALO CALVES
Citation :- PHARACOKINETICS AND URINARY EXCRETION OF PARACETAMOL FOLLOWING INTRAVENOUS ADMINISTRATION IN BUFFALO CALVES.Indian Journal of Agricultural Research.2007.(41):31 - 34
Pharmacokinetic study of paracetamol was conducted in five female buffalo calves following
single i.v. injection of paracetamol @ 40 mg/kg. The drug was detected up to 2 h only in plasma,
while it was detected for a longer period of 48 h in urine with a mean concentration of 1.87 ± 0.48
and 10.90 ± 1.14 mg/ml, respectively. The mean distribution half life (t1/2 α) of 0.11 ± 0.01 h and
elimination half life (t1/2 β) of 0.77 ± 0.09 h indicated that the drug is rapidly distributed as well as eliminated quickly in buffalo calves. The rapid elimination of the drug is due to the higher values of rate constant of drug elimination from central compartment (Kel) of 1.471 ± 0.089 h-1 and total
body clearance (ClB) of 43.67 3.39 ml/kg/min. This led to the lower value of mean residential time
(MRT) of 1.00 ± 0.01 h, indicating that paracetamol remained for a shorter period only in the body
of buffalo calves. A higher Vdarea of 2.34 ± 0.19 L/kg obtained in the present study suggested good distribution of paracetamol in body fluids and tissues which is further supported by the approximate tissue to plasma concentration ratio (T/P) of 0.59 ± 0.13.
- Abramson, S.R. and Weissmann, G. (1989). Arthritis Rheum., 32: 1-9.
- Archer, C. and Richardson, R.A. (1980). Ann. Clin. Biochem., 17: 45.
- Gibaldi, M. and Perrier, D. (1982). Pharmacokinetics. Marcell Dekkar Inc., New York.
- Manna, S. et al. (1994). Indian. J. Anim.Sci., 64: 248-252.
- Marshall, P.J. et al. (1987). J. Biol. Chem., 262: 3510-3517.
- Notari, R.E. (1980). Biopharmaceutics and Clinical Pharmacokinetics. 3rd edn. Marcell Dekkar Inc., New York.
- Omar, V.E.V.S.T. and Mohammad, F.K. (1984). Vet. Pharmacol. Ther., 7: 277-281.
- Sharma, S.K. et al. (1995). Indian J. Anim. Sci., 65: 180-182.
- Sidhu, P.K. et al. (1993). Indian J. Anim. Sci., 63: 1160-1162.
- Sudha Kumari (1998). M.V.Sc Thesis. Rajendra Agricultural University, Pusa, Samastipur, Bihar, India.