COMBINING ABILITY OVER ENVIRONMENTS IN TOMATO
Citation :- COMBINING ABILITY OVER ENVIRONMENTS IN TOMATO.Indian Journal Of Agricultural Research.2001.(35):171 - 175
Combining ability studies for yield and yield components of tomato were made over two environments in a set of 10 lines and 4 testers. The pooled analysis showed that both GCA and SCA were influenced by the environment implying that the parents and crosses must be evaluated over a wide range of environments to have unbiased estimate. The lines Hisar Arun and Pusa Gaurav and the testers Solan Gola and Roma held great promise to enhance the marketable yield in tomato. Out of 40 F1's studied, 3 crosses each were found to be good specific combiners for days to 50% flowering and per cent marketable fruits, 6 for marketable yield/plant and 2 for marketable fruits/plant over both the environments. Hisar Arun x Solan Gola and Pusa Gaurav x Roma were the best specific combiners. No-additive gene action wali preponderant for marketable yield/plant and per cent marketable fruits, while additive for days to 50% flowering, marketable fruits/plant and locules/fruit.
- Cockerhan, C.C (1961) Crop Sci. 1:47·52.
- Kempthorne, O. (1957) An introduction to genetic Statistics. John. Wiley & Sons. New York, pp 458-471.
- Lonkar, S.G. and Borikar, S.T. (1988) J. Maharashtra agtic. Univ. 13:261-262.
- Ortiz, R. (1991) Agro-ciencia. 7:135-142.
- Sononi'. A.H. et ai. (1986). J. Maharashtra agric. Univ. 11:288-290.
- Sprague. G.F.(1966). Quantitative genetics in plant improvement. Plant Breeding. A symposium held at Iowa State . University. The Iowa State University Press, Ames. Iowa. Pp 315-354