RAINFALL SIMULATOR STUDIES FORTHE EFFECT OF SOIL AND WATER CONSERVATION MEASURES ON RUNOFF AND.SOIL LOSS
Citation :- RAINFALL SIMULATOR STUDIES FORTHE EFFECT OF SOIL AND WATER CONSERVATION MEASURES ON RUNOFF AND.SOIL LOSS.Indian Journal Of Agricultural Research.2003.(37):157-168
Rainfall simulator is an useful tool to generate quick and satisfactory information on runoff and soil loss under different surface conditions, involving much less cost and time. The results show that sorghum stover mulch reduced runoff and soil loss considerably. It is also observed that runoff and soil loss increase with increase in degree of slope. Simple application of mulch material on the surface upto 2% slope of the field, involving ahnost no cost, can act as good inter terrace soil and water conservation treatment in the black soil region, apart from improving in situ moisture condition to increase crop production. Attempt is also made to have effect on runoff and soil loss under steep slopes having stone barrier using mini rain fall simulator. It is observed that stone barrier reduced sediment density considerably. It is also observed from discharge simulation studies that grass cover reduced runoff and peak rate of runoff by 20 to 30%.
- Adhikari, R.N. eta/. (1987). In: Proc. National Symp. Hydrology, N.I.H Roorkee, PP. N (6-12).
- Adhikari, R.N. eta/. (1998)./ndianFor., 36: 54-65.
- Anonymous (2000). Annual report, C.S.W.C.R &TI, Dehradun.
- Anonymous (1998). Final Technical Report of USIF Project on "Integrated Project for Soil Conservation Watershed
- Management, CSWCRTI, Sellary, Karnataka.
- Bhardwaj, S.P. (1994). In: Proc. 8th ISCO Conference Soil and Water Conservation Challenges and Opportunities, 4- 8 December, 1994, New Delhi, PP. 204-206.
- Gulati, O.P. (1964). Ph.D. Thesis, I.I.T. Kharagpur.
- Kamphorst, A. (1987). Netherland J. Agric. Sci., 35: 407-415.
- Khera, K.L. and Kukal, S.S. (1994). Proc. 8th ISCO Conference Soil and Water Conservation Challenges and Opportunities,4 December, 1994, New DelhL,PP. 238-239.
- Mc Cool, DK et a/. (1993). Trans. ASAE, 36: 1067-1071.
- 168 INDIAN JOURNAL OF AGRICULTURAL RESEARCH
- Meyer. L.D. (1958). A study ofthe drop size, velocity and Kinetic energy of Wlected spray nozzles, Pardue University, U.SA .
- Prasad, R.L. (1969) Ph.D; Thesis, LI.T.Kharagpur.
- Thomas. N.P.(1989l. J Agric. £ngg.Res.. 43: 1-9