GENETICS OF LEAF RUST RESISTANCE IN WHEAT
Citation :- GENETICS OF LEAF RUST RESISTANCE IN WHEAT.Indian Journal of Agricultural Research.2004.(38):135 - 138
In Wheat (Triticum spp.) and leaf rust (Puccinia recondita f. sp. tritici) interaction, incorporation of resistance genes is an ideal strategy and is of paramount significance. Interspecific and intraspecific wheat crosses were carried out and their gene effect for leaf rust resistance were studied by ‘six parameter model.’ In intraspecific cross, HD 4502/Amrut the estimates of additive gene effects and dominance gene effects were highly significant. The magnitude of additive x additive gene effects was higher and positive whereas dominance x dominance was negative. In interspecific crosses viz., DDK 1001/Amrut and NP 200/Amrut estimates of additive (d) and dominance (h) gene effects were highly significant. In the cr01ls NP 200/Local Red only additive gene effects were highly significant for ACI. Thus it is concluded that leaf rust of wheat has a complex behaviour.
- Anonymous, (1998). Progress Report of the Project Directorate, AICWIP, Directorate of Wheat Research, Kamal, India, p. 1.
- Chawla, V. et a/. (1990). H AUJ. Res., 20: 94-99.
- Daniel, D.L. et aJ. (1995). Plant Breed., 114: 539-541.
- Jinks, J.L. and Jones, RM. (1958). Genetics, 43: 223-224.
- Johnson, C.D. and Mains, E.B. (1932). Studies of Physiologic Specialization in Pucci1"!ia triticina. U. S. Department of Agriculture. Tech. Bull. 313.
- Joshi, L. M. et al. (1988). Manual of Wheat Diseases. Malhotra Publishing House, New Delhi. P. 75.
- Luthra, a.p. et al. (1996). Ann. BioI., 12: 229-231.
- Mather, K. and Jinks, J.L. (1977). Introduction to Biochemical Genetics. Chapman and Halls, London, p. 231.
- Parleveliet, J.E. (1979). Ann. Rev. Phytopath., 17: 203-222.
- Pawar, LS. et aJ. (1992). H A UJ. Res., 22: 182-183.
- Peterson, RE. eta/. (1948). Cando J. Res., (C). 26: 496-500.
- Singh, RP. et a/. (1998). Phytopathology, 88: 890-894.
- Singh, B.B. (1990). Plant Breeding. Kalyani Publishers, Ludhiana. p. 245.
- Sayre. K. et a/. (1998). Crop Sci., 38: 654-669.