Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.20
CHARACTER ASSOCIATION IN RELATION TO INFESTATION BY SHOOT AND FRUIT BORER (LEUCINODES ORBONALIS GUEN.) IN BRINJAL (SOLANUM MELOENGENA L.)
yield related traits in brinjal were estimated from 15 diverse genotypes evaluated during two
consecutive years. Fruit yield was significantly and positively correlated with fruit number and
ratio of length of peripheral seed ring. It had negative correlation with fruit diameter and
mesocarp thickness. Mesocarp thickness also showed positive association with infested shoot
percentage, fruit diametere and ratio of length of seedless area while it was negatively associated
with fruit number, fruit length and ratio of length of peripheral seedling area. Percentage of
infested fruit yield was highly positively correlated with infested fruit number percentage. Path
analysis indicated that mesocarp thickness had the maximum influence on fruit yield followed by
fruit diameter, fruit number and ratio of length of peripheral seedring, suggesting that the
improvement in fruit yield could be efficient if the selection is based on these component
- Dewey, D.R. and Lu, K.H. (1959). Agron. J., 51: 515-518.
- Johnson, H.W. et al. (1955). Agron. J., 47: 477-483.
- Krishnaiah and Vijay (1975). Indian J. Hort., 32: 84-86.
- Lal, O.P. et al. (1976). Veg. Sci., 3: 111-116.
- Malik, A.S. et al. (1986). H.A.U. J. Res., 16: 259-265.
- Panda, N. et al. (1971). Indian J. Agric. Sci., 41: 597-601.
- Rajput, J.C. et al. (1996). Ann. Orgnic. Res., 17: 235-240.
- Sharma, N.K. et al. (1985). Haryana J. Hort. Sci., 14: 114-117
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.