Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.20
ASSESSMENT OF GROUNDWATER QUALITY FOR IRRIGATION IN BARWALA BLOCK OF HISAR DISTRICT OF HARYANA
Hisar District in Haryana was undertaken. On the basis of EC, SAR and RSC values of the waters
54.2, 11.7, 13.3, 10.1, 5.3, 2.4 and 1.2% in saline, high SAR saline, marginally saline, good, high
alkali, alkali and marginally alkali classes, respectively. The data also revealed that 66.9% waters
had EC values above 4 dS/m and 22.1% had EC values above 10 dS/m.The waters are sodiummagnesium- calcium type dominated by chloride. Another interesting feature of these waters is the predominance of magnesium over calcium. Carbonate is either absent or is very little and the concentration of bicarbonates ions did not vary much in all the ranges.
- Eaton, FM. (1950). Soil Sci., 69: 123-33.
- Gupta, R.K. et al. (1994). Water Quality for Irrigation in India, Tech. Bull. 19, CSSRI, Karnal, pp. 6.
- Manchanda, H.R. (1976). Quality of Ground Waters of Haryana, Monograph, Deptt. of Soils, HAU, Hisar, pp.34.
- Manchanda, H.R. (1998). In: Potential, Prospects and Strategies for Harnessing Brackish Groundwater for Agriculture, National Seminar on Strategies for Management of Poor Quality Waters in Agriculture, CSSRI, Karnal, pp. 9.
- Minhas, P.S. et al. (1998). 25 years of Research on Management of Salt Affected Soils and Use of Saline Water in Agriculture, CSSRI, Karnal, pp. 85.
- Minhas, P.S. and Tyagi, N.K. (1998). Guidelines for Irrigation with Saline and Alkali Waters, Bull No. 1/98, CSSRI, Karnal, pp. 1.
- Ministry of Water Resources (1987). Development of Groundwater Resources in India (Hindi), Govt. of India, Photo Litho Printers, Faridabad, pp. 60.
- Paliwal, K.V. (1972). Irrigation with Saline Water. IARI, Monograph-2, Water Technology Centre, IARI, New Delhi.
- Richards, LA. (1954). Diagnosis and Improvement of Saline and Alkali Soils, USDA Handbook No. 60, (Ed.) pp. 160.
- Singh, B. and Bhumbla, D.R. (1968). PAU J. Res., 5: 166-71
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.